123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default How Fast Do You Feel?

If we look at the feeling functions (Fe and Fi), there is a certain time over which the process of making a judgment or a decision occurs. Jung described feeling as kind of judgment in which we "set up a subjective criterion of acceptance or rejection." It is yes or no, like or dislike, acceptance or rejection.

So, in answering these questions, we are talking about Feeling as a cognitive function and not 1) emotions 2) intuiting or 3) sensations (e.g. feeling tired).

The questions I'd like to pose are these:
    1. Do you think it takes more or less time to FEEL (Fe, Fi) or to THINK (Te, Ti)
    2. Do you think it takes more or less time to PERCEIVE (e.g. Ne, Ni, Si, Se) vs. to FEEL (Fe, Fi)
    3. Why do you think these things?

It seems to me that based on interaction with people on the forum, FEELING takes longer than THINKING and PERCEIVING takes less time than FEELING. That's just a hypothesis though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Enneagram

Is this based off the recursive nature of the function-attitudes?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Feelings are instant and at the speed of light.. Sorting them can take some time..
    Feelings come faster than thoughts..
    It's usually when we start thinking about what we feel that we mess everything up.. Our feelings are pure and never lie.. Our thought process tries to rationalize and make sense of what we feel (and often gets it wrong or doesn't want to accept one's own true feelings, so goes into denial, projection or spin mode).. The feeling comes before the thought, always.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Feelings are instant and at the speed of light.. Sorting them can take some time..
    Feelings come faster than thoughts..
    It's usually when we start thinking about what we feel that we mess everything up.. Our feelings are pure and never lie.. Our thought process tries to rationalize and make sense of what we feel (and often gets it wrong or doesn't want to accept one's own true feelings, so goes into denial, projection or spin mode).. The feeling comes before the thought, always.
    Yeah, but that's not what he means (I don't think). He defined feel in terms of using Fe/Fi. That is different than feeling. If anything, I would think that the rationalizations that mess up the purity of feelings you mentioned, would be Fe/Fi in action. Aren't they the functions that process the emotional reactions?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Is this based off the recursive nature of the function-attitudes?
    Gee, I don't know. That's an interesting question.

Yeah, but that's not what he means (I don't think). He defined feel in terms of using Fe/Fi. That is different than feeling. If anything, I would think that the rationalizations that mess up the purity of feelings you mentioned, would be Fe/Fi in action. Aren't they the functions that process the emotional reactions?
    I don't mean this: "Amygdala – attaches emotional significance to information and mediates both defensive and aggressive behavior". I do mean Fe/Fi in action.

I guess my theory is that Feeling judgment takes longer than Thinking judgment because Feeling judgment involves complex and nuanced values and feeling tones that have to be sifted through. It also seems to me that people who prefer Fe or Fi seem to take longer to make up their mind about stuff than someone who prefers Te or Ti.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Yeah Good points.. Hmm if he just means cognitively. What is the speed of a value placed?? I would maybe think T then, because it deals with facts and right an wrong. F deals more with ideals and good or bad. This could conceivably be a slower process.
    But I still feel it all happens at the speed of light.

On the other hand.. Isn't T and F just if we trust what we feel anyway?? The value is on emotion still.. Either the F values their feeling . or the T gives less value to the emotion and instead focuses on the right and wrong and facts.

I feel you are an INFP.. because of I pay attention to how I am feeling when I interact with you. INFPs tend to stimulate certain emotional responses and reactions from me.

I think you are an INFP because If I compare your behavior to a model it fits.. It follows lineal reasoning and fits into a categorical system.

OR maybe I am totally still missing the point??

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    2. Do you think it takes more or less time to PERCEIVE (e.g. Ne, Ni, Si, Se) vs. to FEEL (Fe, Fi)
    How do you put a time limit on perceiving?

Enneagram

I feel you are an INFP.. because of I pay attention to how I am feeling when I interact with you. INFPs tend to stimulate certain emotional responses and reactions from me.

I think you are an INFP because If I compare your behavior to a model it fits.. It follows lineal reasoning and fits into a categorical system.
    I like the way you frame that.

Maybe the processing time of feeling is related to the dominance of your feeling function. Highlander, an Ni-Te user, thinks it takes him longer to use F than N or T, while you (and I, btw), who are F-doms, think it is much quicker to use F. Since, after all, a function that is lower on your function order would require a more deliberate and strained effort to engage. I CAN use Te, but I find my Te is very rudimentary and slow (although this sometimes makes my 'T' reasoning very clear for others). Whereas I forget how quickly I size up situations using my Fi, so sometimes people with less of a Fi propensity are confused by my course of action based off these Fi judgements.

I am interested to see how this turns out, Highlander always starts cool threads.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

OR maybe I am totally still missing the point??
    You're coming to a judgement after perceiving. That's as good of an example as any I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    How do you put a time limit on perceiving?
    There is a proportion of time or mental effort that we spend perceiving vs. judging. I guess I'm looking at a comparison between those. Do I spend three weeks gathering information and then one day making a decision? Do I spend 30% of my time or mental energy perceiving and 70% of my time sifting, organizing, and deciding? That's sort of what I mean.

Tri-type 639

ThatGirl

Your hypothesis is that feeling takes more time than anything.