• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Fast Do You Feel?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we look at the feeling functions (Fe and Fi), there is a certain time over which the process of making a judgment or a decision occurs. Jung described feeling as kind of judgment in which we "set up a subjective criterion of acceptance or rejection." It is yes or no, like or dislike, acceptance or rejection.

So, in answering these questions, we are talking about Feeling as a cognitive function and not 1) emotions 2) intuiting or 3) sensations (e.g. feeling tired).

The questions I'd like to pose are these:
1. Do you think it takes more or less time to FEEL (Fe, Fi) or to THINK (Te, Ti)
2. Do you think it takes more or less time to PERCEIVE (e.g. Ne, Ni, Si, Se) vs. to FEEL (Fe, Fi)
3. Why do you think these things?

It seems to me that based on interaction with people on the forum, FEELING takes longer than THINKING and PERCEIVING takes less time than FEELING. That's just a hypothesis though.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is this based off the recursive nature of the function-attitudes?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Feelings are instant and at the speed of light.. Sorting them can take some time..
Feelings come faster than thoughts..
It's usually when we start thinking about what we feel that we mess everything up.. Our feelings are pure and never lie.. Our thought process tries to rationalize and make sense of what we feel (and often gets it wrong or doesn't want to accept one's own true feelings, so goes into denial, projection or spin mode).. The feeling comes before the thought, always.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Feelings are instant and at the speed of light.. Sorting them can take some time..
Feelings come faster than thoughts..
It's usually when we start thinking about what we feel that we mess everything up.. Our feelings are pure and never lie.. Our thought process tries to rationalize and make sense of what we feel (and often gets it wrong or doesn't want to accept one's own true feelings, so goes into denial, projection or spin mode).. The feeling comes before the thought, always.

Yeah, but that's not what he means (I don't think). He defined feel in terms of using Fe/Fi. That is different than feeling. If anything, I would think that the rationalizations that mess up the purity of feelings you mentioned, would be Fe/Fi in action. Aren't they the functions that process the emotional reactions?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this based off the recursive nature of the function-attitudes?

Gee, I don't know. That's an interesting question.

Yeah, but that's not what he means (I don't think). He defined feel in terms of using Fe/Fi. That is different than feeling. If anything, I would think that the rationalizations that mess up the purity of feelings you mentioned, would be Fe/Fi in action. Aren't they the functions that process the emotional reactions?

I don't mean this: "Amygdala – attaches emotional significance to information and mediates both defensive and aggressive behavior". I do mean Fe/Fi in action.

I guess my theory is that Feeling judgment takes longer than Thinking judgment because Feeling judgment involves complex and nuanced values and feeling tones that have to be sifted through. It also seems to me that people who prefer Fe or Fi seem to take longer to make up their mind about stuff than someone who prefers Te or Ti.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Yeah Good points.. Hmm if he just means cognitively. What is the speed of a value placed?? I would maybe think T then, because it deals with facts and right an wrong. F deals more with ideals and good or bad. This could conceivably be a slower process.
But I still feel it all happens at the speed of light.

On the other hand.. Isn't T and F just if we trust what we feel anyway?? The value is on emotion still.. Either the F values their feeling . or the T gives less value to the emotion and instead focuses on the right and wrong and facts.

I feel you are an INFP.. because of I pay attention to how I am feeling when I interact with you. INFPs tend to stimulate certain emotional responses and reactions from me.

I think you are an INFP because If I compare your behavior to a model it fits.. It follows lineal reasoning and fits into a categorical system.

OR maybe I am totally still missing the point??

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
2. Do you think it takes more or less time to PERCEIVE (e.g. Ne, Ni, Si, Se) vs. to FEEL (Fe, Fi)

How do you put a time limit on perceiving?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I feel you are an INFP.. because of I pay attention to how I am feeling when I interact with you. INFPs tend to stimulate certain emotional responses and reactions from me.

I think you are an INFP because If I compare your behavior to a model it fits.. It follows lineal reasoning and fits into a categorical system.

I like the way you frame that.

Maybe the processing time of feeling is related to the dominance of your feeling function. Highlander, an Ni-Te user, thinks it takes him longer to use F than N or T, while you (and I, btw), who are F-doms, think it is much quicker to use F. Since, after all, a function that is lower on your function order would require a more deliberate and strained effort to engage. I CAN use Te, but I find my Te is very rudimentary and slow (although this sometimes makes my 'T' reasoning very clear for others). Whereas I forget how quickly I size up situations using my Fi, so sometimes people with less of a Fi propensity are confused by my course of action based off these Fi judgements.

I am interested to see how this turns out, Highlander always starts cool threads.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

OR maybe I am totally still missing the point??

You're coming to a judgement after perceiving. That's as good of an example as any I guess.

How do you put a time limit on perceiving?

There is a proportion of time or mental effort that we spend perceiving vs. judging. I guess I'm looking at a comparison between those. Do I spend three weeks gathering information and then one day making a decision? Do I spend 30% of my time or mental energy perceiving and 70% of my time sifting, organizing, and deciding? That's sort of what I mean.

T

ThatGirl

Your hypothesis is that feeling takes more time than anything.

rav3n

Imagine how molasses slow inferior Fi works with some of us. No wonder we shunt it to the nth dimension whenever possible since it can be torturous to use it. What am I feeling? Why am I feeling this way? Am I entitled to feel this way? Is this value reasonable or is it idealistic or just plain anal?

Te happens faster than it takes to say Te happens. It makes snap decisions with no effort at all. Using Ti is more difficult and sometimes gets pushed around by or conflicts with Te. Kind of like the hare and a tortoise on red bull.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
perceive > feel > think

feeling is fast. it takes a long time to describe outwardly, but i "know" it inside almost immediately.

perceiving is so fast that i don't realize i'm doing it half the time.

thinking comes readily enough when i'm externalizing through some medium - writing or speaking - but much more slowly when i have to do it in my head. Ti is awesome, but it makes my brain hurt.

i tried to figure this out while ignoring my function order, but it correlates anyway. :shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the other hand.. Isn't T and F just if we trust what we feel anyway?? The value is on emotion still.. Either the F values their feeling . or the T gives less value to the emotion and instead focuses on the right and wrong and facts.
Not necessarily. F can set aside a feeling as well as T can. For example, I might feel frustration and even anger while helping an elderly neighbor if they are being very slow, making me repeat myself over and over, etc. but I do my best not to act upon those feelings, and to remain patient and courteous instead. It is not Te logic that causes me to do this. I would certainly get more accomplished myself by leaving the neighbor to their own devices and moving on. I behave this way because I value respecting our elders, and being a good neighbor. Such values are the realm of Fi, as are most considerations of "right vs. wrong". Te/Ti deals more with correct vs. incorrect, or even effective vs. ineffective.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. Do you think it takes more or less time to FEEL (Fe, Fi) or to THINK (Te, Ti)

I think that it goes like this, for verbal communication: Te > Fe > Ti > Fi.

I believe that Thinking is slightly faster than Feeling, but that Extraverted Judgment is faster than Introverted Judgment. I also believe that development of those functions can impact how fast they are for you. It also depends on what you're measuring. My Ti is faster than Fe when it comes to nonverbal responses, but verbalizing a Ti response is much slower than verbalizing an Fe response.

I believe Perception is faster than Feeling or Thinking, by it's very nature. You have to be aware of the information before you can make a judgement about it, right?

Umm... just personal experiences and a hunch?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that it goes like this, for verbal communication: Te > Fe > Ti > Fi.

I believe that Thinking is slightly faster than Feeling, but that Extraverted Judgment is faster than Introverted Judgment. I also believe that development of those functions can impact how fast they are for you. It also depends on what you're measuring. My Ti is faster than Fe when it comes to nonverbal responses, but verbalizing a Ti response is much slower than verbalizing an Fe response.

I believe Perception is faster than Feeling or Thinking, by it's very nature. You have to be aware of the information before you can make a judgement about it, right?

Umm... just personal experiences and a hunch?

It does seem like Te is faster than Ti. I'm not sure about Fe being faster than Ti though. I look at some Fe auxes on the forum that have very well developed Fe and they take a while to arrive at decisions or conclusions at times. Ti is hard for me to assess though.

rav3n

Why is it that I keep misreading the thread title to say "How fat do you feel"? :laugh:

My apologies to highlander but I had to extrovert this insight!

Ti appears to be slower since it's not our dom function but also, it's nonconclusive so the end never arrives.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think i perceive then feel then think

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
perceive > feel > think

feeling is fast. it takes a long time to describe outwardly, but i "know" it inside almost immediately.

perceiving is so fast that i don't realize i'm doing it half the time.

thinking comes readily enough when i'm externalizing through some medium - writing or speaking - but much more slowly when i have to do it in my head. Ti is awesome, but it makes my brain hurt.

i tried to figure this out while ignoring my function order, but it correlates anyway. :shrug:

ha...right..this is exactly how i perceive then feel and then think about it. :laugh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The questions I'd like to pose are these:

For me it goes both ways. There have been instances where I've just instantly reacted emotionally and only later looked at it logically.

There have been other times, where it took a while to sort through the feelings and process them. Sometimes I wouldn't realize that I was truly disappointed or hurt until several hours after the incident happened.

These two questions kind of go together. I think, for me anyway, it's quicker to perceive things. Perceiving is an irrational function- I think by nature irrational functions (sensing or intuition) are quicker than rational ones (thinking or feeling). With rational functions, there is an evaluatory process going on which takes time. Either through logical principles (T) or through values and good/bad (feeling).