User Tag List

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Reversing all the letters except E/I -- a common phenomenon?

In light of my typing thread, I've noticed that both INTP and ISFJ have been suggested as my type. Some admitted to being rather torn between the two but with INTP winning out. This is interesting as INTP and ISFJ have only one letter in common. So you may be wondering, why is it undecided between two such seemingly different types? Wouldn't it make more sense to be undecided between, say INTP and INTJ? or INTP and INFP?

INTP and ISFJ may look different on the surface but they actually have quite a bit in common. Both are informative types. Both have a behind the scenes interaction style. And perhaps most importantly, they both have the same top 4 functions, but in a different order. INTP being TiNeSiFe and ISFJ being SiFeTiNe. I think if one has a well developed tertiary, it could possibly be mistaken for the dominant of the other type. I've known a couple of people who seemed to give off both INTP and ISFJ vibes simultaneously and it was difficult to parse these.

I've also noticed this phenomenon with other people where I they seemed to be in between two types sharing only I or E in common. There's someone on another forum who's deciding between INFJ and ISTP. Again same functions, different order. INFJ is NiFeTiSe and ISTP is TiSeNiFe. In addition, both are directive and chart the course interaction style.

I also know a couple of people that I'm having trouble deciding if they are ENTP or ESFJ. Again, similar phenomenon at work.

So I'm wondering if you have witnessed this in practice, either in yourself or with people you know?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Such types are basically right/left brain counterparts of each other.
    On the other hands, since the tertiary and especially inferior are the comparatively weakest for many people (at least on the Nardi test), the types still may not be as compatible as some that do not share all of the first four functions.
    Last edited by Eric B; 02-20-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In your opinion, what types do you see overall as being most compatible with INTP, ISFJ, and INFJ (the three types I'm considering)?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

From what I've seen it's not uncommon, especially if a person is caught in a dom-tert loop, and both function are similar in strength. It also gets more confusing if the individual actively represses or doesn't use their second funtion enough. With the INTP and ISFJ, both will be in a Ti-Si loop void of either Ne or Fe, thus making the two look similar on the outside.

MBTI
    IDK

I thought I was an INFJ for a while and I just realized a few days ago that I'm actually an ISTP. I'm also in the process of researching what an Ni/Ti loop is right now.