User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 54

  1. #21
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Found the study skylights! It's from the Oxford Journals so I'm linking it in its entirety so everyone can view and interpret.

    http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/3/359.full

  2. #22
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    ^^Thanks, Metaphor.

  3. #23
    Senior Member ScorpioINTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Low dopamine makes people shy.
    Sure about that? I would think Seratonin, if anything, would play more of a part I wouldn't say I feel less shy when I am "doped up" on an activity.

    I was shy all my life. I still am in certain circumstances, but not as bad I I used to be. I was going to say INTP/J, but who knows.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

  4. #24
    Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    I find that often silence is mistaken for shyness. Just because someone prefers to listen rather than speak doesn't make them shy. Because of that I don't think you can really associate introversion directly with shyness, as some posts in this thread seem to be doing.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

    ~

  5. #25
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I recall reading something about types and addictions. The only thing I can remember is that ENTJs were almost at the bottom of the scale for being prone to addictions and that NTs in general weren't prone to addictions as compared to other types. Can't recall the validity of the information so I'm going to try to find the study again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Found the study skylights! It's from the Oxford Journals so I'm linking it in its entirety so everyone can view and interpret.

    http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/3/359.full
    ooh, that's interesting, thank you.

    Our MBTI results show that a relationship exists between high preference scores on the Extroversion/ Introversion and Thinking/Feeling dichotomies and outcome. Significantly, there is a parallel in the MBTI literature to this finding. U-shaped preference score curves exist for the Extroversion/Introversion, Judging/Perceiving, and Thinking/Feeling dichotomies when academic ability is measured (Myers and McCaulley, 1985).
    huh.

  6. #26
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post
    Sure about that? I would think Seratonin, if anything, would play more of a part I wouldn't say I feel less shy when I am "doped up" on an activity.

    I was shy all my life. I still am in certain circumstances, but not as bad I I used to be. I was going to say INTP/J, but who knows.
    Pretty sure. I was just reading about it in an excellent book called In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encouters with Addiction.
    But, you know, like everything in human behavior, there is no one right answer.
    I've always been on the more reserved side of things too. Even when I feel less so, I still don't turn into a party animal. I don't oscillate far from my temperamental center. when I exercise a lot, I seem no less reserved, but I don't feel the negative pull of shyness.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Let me rephrase my question: if INFPs don't care about how others perceive them and/or "fitting in", why are they shy? Is it an alternate form of shyness?

  8. #28
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Let me rephrase my question: if INFPs don't care about how others perceive them and/or "fitting in", why are they shy? Is it an alternate form of shyness?
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not shy exactly. It's moderate, I guess. I think that they can be physically shy perhaps, but not psychologically. What I mean is that they are able to stand back and distance themselves from various expressions or ideas or even attack them from time to time. Or offer up their own new ideas. Same goes for INTP (this is partly true for ISPs as well, but I think they're able to be more involved). They're not shy of what they think is the truth or a better method on something. Not necessarily at least. As for physical shyness, I guess there might be something to do with feeling less "S", I guess. Like they may not inhabit physical space or always know how to impact in the way others do. That can be learned, but there's something to be said about this being more of a Se skill (and especially Se dom). I'll take a snippet from Lenore Thomson's book to explain:

    Sensate types are not just active physically. They're active socially. They're deeply influenced by what's going on around them, and they want to take a part in it. They have a "feel" for the atmosphere, style, and image. They know what people are interested in and like being recognized as paradigmatic of the trend.

    [..] Many ESPs seem to be striving for this - for the highest pitch of concrete actualization. They become the experiential standard by which other's image and attitude are measured. In fact, many attractive and engaging people are led to use Sensation as a dominant function precisely because their style and impact are their fundamental strengths.

    [..] For highly extraverted types, this happens as naturally as a leaf turning it's face on the sun. You can always tell from the ESPs in the crowd exactly what society currently regards as admirable, stylish, fascinating, outrageous, or exciting. These types will have so adapted themselves to generalized assumptions that they physically embody them.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not shy exactly. It's moderate, I guess. I think that they can be physically shy perhaps, but not psychologically. What I mean is that they are able to stand back and distance themselves from various expressions or ideas or even attack them from time to time. Or offer up their own new ideas. Same goes for INTP (this is partly true for ISPs as well, but I think they're able to be more involved). They're not shy of what they think is the truth or a better method on something. Not necessarily at least. As for physical shyness, I guess there might be something to do with feeling less "S", I guess. Like they may not inhabit physical space or always know how to impact in the way others do. That can be learned, but there's something to be said about this being more of a Se skill (and especially Se dom). I'll take a snippet from Lenore Thomson's book to explain:

    Sensate types are not just active physically. They're active socially. They're deeply influenced by what's going on around them, and they want to take a part in it. They have a "feel" for the atmosphere, style, and image. They know what people are interested in and like being recognized as paradigmatic of the trend.

    [..] Many ESPs seem to be striving for this - for the highest pitch of concrete actualization. They become the experiential standard by which other's image and attitude are measured. In fact, many attractive and engaging people are led to use Sensation as a dominant function precisely because their style and impact are their fundamental strengths.

    [..] For highly extraverted types, this happens as naturally as a leaf turning it's face on the sun. You can always tell from the ESPs in the crowd exactly what society currently regards as admirable, stylish, fascinating, outrageous, or exciting. These types will have so adapted themselves to generalized assumptions that they physically embody them.
    I see... what I mean is, I've heard stories of INFPs who were seen - by others or by themselves - as "shy". Mind you, I'm still learning a lot about MBTI, and I'm aware that stereotypes abound, but I'd also heard about Fi being a "I don't care what you think of me" function. So, I felt kinda confused - even more so when people told me (on my type thread, which I've refused to let die for like two months) that INFJs (aux Fe) were generally more confident than INFPs (dom Fi). Combine that with the famed INFP laid-backness and my brain was all, GACK!

    The explanation posted is very useful, though. Thanks! I've also heard of shy INTPs, and I'd attributed that to inferior Fe (INTJs seem a lot more confident, even though INTPs are quite contentious in the intellectual realm).

    Also, let me correct a lil' thing in my previous post: I didn't mean to imply all INFPs were shy, or that it was a charateristic inherent in the type. It's just, I've heard things.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Since ENTJ is the most aggressive type, it makes sense the most shy type would be the opposite, ISFP.

Similar Threads

  1. What type is most likely to be drunk?
    By Speed Gavroche in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 01:40 AM
  2. What type is most sensitive to personal space?
    By + patch in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 12:00 PM
  3. What type is most likely to be a collector of Dr. Who memorabilia
    By highlander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM
  4. What type is most likely to fall in love?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO