User Tag List

123 Last

brainheart

Default I don't get this NF-NT pairing thing

I'd say my friends primarily tend to be NFs (with some NTs, SPs, and SJs tossed in there) and those I seem to be attracted to irl tend to be SPs. SPs seem to be the golden ticket- they get me out of my head, make me have fun, lighten me up. NTs, on the other hand, keep me in my head and make me feel too emotional. So what's this about, eh? Any NT/NF pairs out there got anything positive to say about it?

violaine

I'm INFJ. I think I react similarly to NTs. I feel somehow more connected at a root level to the NTs I know but they make me feel really emotional, sometimes in very bad ways. I'm attracted to NTs though. The SPs I know are pure and fun and I feel so much lighter with them and much less emotional. Everything is less dramatic. But I do tend to feel like I'm operating in a 2D realm with them and not 3D as with NTs. I don't know if that's a positive or negative. I don't like feeling as emotional as I sometimes do with NTs.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's your choice to be in your head. Or not.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i like NTs a lot, because they'll play N with me and provide a nice objective balance to my F, which i struggle with sometimes. they are probably the temperament i relate to most easily after NF, i assume because my N is so strong and i have tert T.

they can piss me off like no other, though.

my friends IRL tend to be female FJs, and male NTs. it strikes me that my mom is FJ and my dad NT. lol!

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I wonder if this preference depends on how heavily slanted you are in intuition/sensory functions and feeling/thinking. BFF is sp, but I think his tert. Ni is on steriods. How ever my serious relationships have been with N's mostly, not necessarily just NT's. Sp's are light and fluffy. I like snacking on them, and they are terrible morish. I keep wanting more.
    NT's are like steak, you want to sink your teeth into them.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brainheart

It's your choice to be in your head. Or not.
    Oh really? :eyeroll: I'm just saying that when I hang with NTs we both seem to be locked in the head space. It just doesn't seem all that healthy. I like them plenty, they make for good friends, good conversations (when they aren't getting all stubborn about logical consistencies and defining terms). It's just that with SPs I'm less in my natural element. I feel like I become more well-rounded with them, more in touch with the external world.

How can anyone make anyone else feel more emotional? This is something within yourselves where you're projecting your internal conflict onto NTs.

Not attracted to NFs but enjoy them as friends and acquaintances.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I don't know.. I'm quite happy with my intj and I have several NT friends, and I've never felt too emotional or been told by them/treated by them as if they think I'm too emotional. Sometimes I think they are amused by certain things about me, but I guess that doesn't bother me. I think as far as emotional expression we're basically the same, honestly; although when it comes to happy/energetic emotions I am generally much more demonstrative of those and more bouncy. I think that's the main difference, really - they tend not to be as expressive w/ positive feelings.

But I love that we're on a similar intellectual wavelength, and I've also never had issues with the 'having fun' element -if anything, when we're together, my intj is able to kinda let go and be really playful and such, and we have common interests/activities that we enjoy doing together. Also, all of my friends - regardless of type - tend to be pretty active people who aren't purely cerebral, so none of us really have a problem having fun and doing stuff like that - including the NT's.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor
    How can anyone make anyone else feel more emotional? This is something within yourselves where you're projecting your internal conflict onto NTs.
    i understand that feeling. it's actually the opposite of projecting - it's the other person relentlessly projecting followed by self-fulfilling prophecy. it's usually between NFPs and NTPs, ime - INTPs especially, who tend to get impatient with Fi, and argue that because you're expressing emotion, you can't also be rational. big difference between rational and logical, though.

the frustration is that you know that emotional expression is not clouding your understanding, but the NTP insists that it is, which makes you more upset, which makes the NTP harp on it even more, which makes you eventually break down and the NTP seems to "win". it's just like one giant downward toilet flush spiral for the NFP.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Yes, emotionality is something that comes from inside. For me, it's not projection, it's that different parts of my interior come to the surface depending upon whom I'm interacting with. The NTs I've been with have expressed that they feel similarly when we interact, i.e. strong emotions, that are often dormant for them, are tapped by our interactions.