• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inversing the teritary function.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Why are the functions the way they are? There doesn't seem to be any real reason for the way they're set up.

I propose replacing the tertiary function, which is currently an inverse and axis switch of the auxillary, to just an inverse, which means if the auxillary is Te, the tertiary would be Ti instead of Fi.

From my experiences, INTJs use Ti, INTPs use Ni, INFJs use Fi, ENTJs use Ne, ESFPs use Fe, ESTJs use Se, ISFJs use Fi, etc, far more than they use Fi, Si, Ti, Se, and so on, respectively.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think you meant to say auxilary function, which is the second function. Tertiary is the third function.

The auxilary function has the opposite orientation of the dominant. We would be pretty unbalanced psychologically if they were both extraverted or introverted. The auxiliary function provides balance to the dominant function.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
stupid idea imo. learn how the system works, about function roles and how Ni + Te might look like Ti when its actually just the introverted nature of Ni understanding the big picture of Te data etc.

btw, my Ni sucks and my Si is pretty good.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Did you read what I wrote? The tertiary function is an inverse (Xi to Xe or vice versa) and an axis switch (F to T, N to S, etc) or the auxillary. For an INTP, for instance, their functions are Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. I propose replacing this with Ti, Ne, Ni, Fe, since, again, from personal experience, people use that function more than the one currently used as the tertiary.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
stupid idea imo. learn how the system works, about function roles and how Ni + Te might look like Ti when its actually just the introverted nature of Ni understanding the big picture of Te data etc.

btw, my Ni sucks and my Si is pretty good.

Why is the current system valid? It's arbitrary and unscientific. Why does Si follow Fe in ISFJs? It's like religion, isn't it, then? It is because that's the way it is? What kind of logic is that? Come to think of it, why are functions even taken seriously? I can make up something that uses fucking something called Dynamic and Static Vibe, which is something I totally made up, and have a system that's logically consistent because of the Foyer effect. The only real MBTI is the original 4 letters. Everything else is psuedoscience.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is the current system valid? It's arbitrary and unscientific.

it can be considered valid because it works on most people.

it may be constructed without scientific basis, but it seems that you can get some scientific validation for the system anyways.
http://aptinternational.org/assets/jptvol65_1105_apti.pdf

why do you think that its arbitrary?

Why does Si follow Fe in ISFJs?

because if ISFJ would be Fe Ti the theory would be less valid

It's like religion, isn't it, then? It is because that's the way it is? What kind of logic is that?

no its not like a religion. i dont understand why you think it as religion.

Come to think of it, why are functions even taken seriously? I can make up something that uses fucking something called Dynamic and Static Vibe, which is something I totally made up, and have a system that's logically consistent because of the Foyer effect.

they are taken seriously because people who know about human psychology generally agree that these functions do work as a good basis for a personality theory. naturally some people disagree, but some people always disagree about something, usually they are those people who dont have a good understanding of the system and therefore think that it doesent make sense.

The only real MBTI is the original 4 letters. Everything else is psuedoscience.

care to explain?

raminda

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
I agree that it at times can be hard to fit someone into the pre set function order, but changing the pre set function order to another one is, in my opinion, not the answer. I think the functions are what makes MBTI work and be interesting, and that using only "the original 4 letters" doesn't convey nearly enough information and turns types into stereotypes.

As an INTP I can also tell you that Ni actually is the function I understand and identify with the least. I'm not saying this will be the case for all INTPs, but it is for me and if it were to be tertiary I'd have to change my type.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
In Psychological types Jung actually states that the ENTP would be:

Ne - Ti - Fi - Si.

For some reason people assert that he is wrong and then say 'Socionics is wrong because Fi = Fe and Fe = Fi'.

No comment otherwise.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne - Ti - Fi - Si.

What would Jung know about his own theory? :alttongue:

Perch420 said:
Why is the current system valid? It's arbitrary and unscientific. Why does Si follow Fe in ISFJs? It's like religion, isn't it, then? It is because that's the way it is? What kind of logic is that? Come to think of it, why are functions even taken seriously? I can make up something that uses fucking something called Dynamic and Static Vibe, which is something I totally made up, and have a system that's logically consistent because of the Foyer effect. The only real MBTI is the original 4 letters. Everything else is psuedoscience.

Only everything else?

MBTI has never been scientifically validated as a system in itself, even if it seems to have some practical use depending on the person. Big Five has far more tested correlation.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ne - Ti - Fi - Si.

For some reason people assert that he is wrong and then say 'Socionics is wrong because Fi = Fe and Fe = Fi'.

No comment otherwise.

It was assumed that whatever was rejected by the ego for it's dominant perspective would "collect" in an opposite space. So iNtuition is chosen for the dominant external orientation, and then everything else would be pushed off into the suppressed internal space.

Yet, now when we add the archetype complexes to the mix, we can see why the Tertiary would end up reversed to the dominant orientation. It is the "child" (Puer) complex that tries to maintain the dominant attitude, and this reorients the tertiary function. (Because the auxiliary is taken by the support or "parent" complex).
This maintains balance (unless the person falls into the tertiary temptation too much and totally neglects the auxilary).

This is why I have seen that it helps to go back to the original four functions, separate from the orientation (which is how Jung originally conceived of it), and not get too hooked up in the eight function-attitudes. The eight have be be understood in light of the standalone four, in the two orientations.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
It was assumed that whatever was rejected by the ego for it's dominant perspective would "collect" in an opposite space. So iNtuition is chosen for the dominant external orientation, and then everything else would be pushed off into the suppressed internal space.

Yet, now when we add the archetype complexes to the mix, we can see why the Tertiary would end up reversed to the dominant orientation. It is the "child" (Puer) complex that tries to maintain the dominant attitude, and this reorients the tertiary function. (Because the auxiliary is taken by the support or "parent" complex).
This maintains balance (unless the person falls into the tertiary temptation too much and totally neglects the auxilary).

This is why I have seen that it helps to go back to the original four functions, separate from the orientation (which is how Jung originally conceived of it), and not get too hooked up in the eight function-attitudes. The eight have be be understood in light of the standalone four, in the two orientations.

I agree, but I can also understand that the secondary set may not be as attitudally differentiated as the primary. After all look at all of those INTJs raging with their ethics in an extroverted way! (Fi-Se) power looking like extremely personal yet exposed Fe. I'm not saying it's not Fi, I can just see the lessening attitude differentiation.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
as far as i understand it, using beebe's theories about jung's archetypes, here's why they're set up as they are - i'll use my own type as an example.

we start with the doubly-divided dichotomy of functions:

Perceiving: N S
Judging: T F

then apply I/E attitudes:
Ne Ni Se Si Te Ti Fe Fi

amongst these, we are necessarily going to have one that is the strongest - one that informs our worldview and provides the majority of our moment-to-moment motivation. we are also going to have a second function that provides the yin to the yang of the dominant function, as we have two function-attitude pairs to fulfill - we need one P, one J, one I, and one E - to be able to operate at all. we must be able to assess information (P), make decisions (J), attend to our inner mind (I) and attend to the outer world (E). whether we tend to pair PiJe, PeJi, JePi, or JiPe is up to chance, but whichever set it is provides the foundation for the rest of the function order.

• so to begin with, i look at the 8 functions, and find my "hero", or leading, or primary, or dominant - extraverted iNtuition.

• because my most-used function is a Perceiving function (N/S), it will need to be backed up next by a Judging function to maintain balance. also, because my first function is extraverted, my next function that provides support to the dom will need to be introverted. and understand, that this is only second in function order, not necessarily strength or skill. it simply means it will play a guiding/support role to the dominant. so i have to choose an introverted Judging function: T or F? i am F. Fi.

so now i have the most important pair, NeFi, which gives me the full code of ENFP - an extraverted Perceiver (EP) who prefers NF.

but we can run through the rest of the functions as follows:

• to take stock again, we haven't used Ni, Se, Si, Te, Ti, or Fe. because my dom was a Perceiving function, it is strong enough that it will likely override my ability to use any other Perceiving function very well - that rules out Ni, Se, and Si as tertiaries. in fact, i will tend to automatically look at anything outside of me in a Ne light, so there's no way Se will be anywhere near the top of my function order - actually, it ends up dead last. however, my Judging function, Fi, is less strong, so it can allow for the significant presence of another Judging function. but i already Judge internally, so this time an extraverted Judging function. because my auxiliary was Fi, my tertiary will balance as Te.

the reason we don't have Te-Ti, or Fi-Fe, is to keep balance... otherwise you would be left without a F or T in your first four functions, and theoretically it would be extremely difficult for a person to function without any conscious control over F or T. the former would not be able to relate to other people; the latter would not be able to think objectively. again, also, it's about roles and not strength. perhaps an ENFP will seem to be more adept with Fe than Te, but we need Te to support Fi because it provides a - well, function that the other roles cannot. Fe cannot relieve Fi very well because you cannot fully extravert Feeling while you are introverting Feeling.

but as others have pointed out, what tends to happen is that the aux and tert will be used together, and the attitude seems obvious, and the function seems obvious, but the fact that is actually TWO functions is not. for instance, an angry ENFP will tend to be very emotional and shoot a barrage of arguments at the other person. you can see the F through the non-logical elements, and you can see that it is extraverted, which would lead you to think Fe, but it's actually Te extraverting Fi - a Fi message being carried through a Te mode of delivery.

• following that, i only have an introverted Perception function left to account for, and S has not been used yet. so my fourth function is Si.

• then, because my psyche is already set up N-F-T-S in order of competency, the shadow roles will be filled similarly, simply with I/E attitudes reversed: Ni, Fe, Ti, Se.

which results in the complete set of functions paired with (mainly) jungian archetypes:

Ne "hero" - leads
Fi "supportive parent" - guides
Te "puer aeternus" (eternal child) - relieves
Si "anima" (opposite sex) - grounds

and the shadow (vicki jo, despite my usual ambivalence towards her, has wisely said: "you do not have the shadow, but the shadow has you*")

Ni "opposing" - our primary mental hangups from resistance to using the dom "backwards"
Fe "senex" - controlling parent
Ti "trickster" - leads astray
Se "daemon" - destructive creativity

that is what i understand of the system behind it, at least. the key to order lies in the concept of dichotomies and needing to balance each individual out with its pair. much like a set of scales... tilt any scale too far and you go off the crazy end.

*in soviet russia!

Last edited:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
which results in the complete set of jungian archetypes:

jungian archetypes has nothing to do with this jungian typology. those are function roles that you are describing and its not jungs work. jung did have idea of the shadow, actually two different type of shadows, personal shadow and archetypal shadow, its totally different from shadow functions from MBTI. not saying that the system you talked about is incorrect, just saying that you used wrong names for them

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^

my understanding is that jung developed the archetypes but did not apply them to the functions - beebe did that. which is why i cited them both at the beginning of my post.

to be honest i learned this theory stuff from a website that i can no longer find and so don't remember a lot of who did what, if you can point out who was which parts, and what their appropriate labels are, i'd be grateful.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
^

my understanding is that jung developed the archetypes but did not apply them to the functions - beebe did that. which is why i cited them both at the beginning of my post.

its not jungs archetypes that he used for those, its some totally different archetypal model not related to jungs archetypes

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, but I can also understand that the secondary set may not be as attitudally differentiated as the primary. After all look at all of those INTJs raging with their ethics in an extroverted way! (Fi-Se) power looking like extremely personal yet exposed Fe. I'm not saying it's not Fi, I can just see the lessening attitude differentiation.
I see the function attitudes as more flexible now. They can't be made into hard objects. So it could be Fi+Se looking like an extraversion of Feeling (or skylight's example of Fi+Te), or it could be Fe in the Trickster position (for the INTJ; or witch/senex position for the ENFP).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
its not jungs archetypes that he used for those, its some totally different archetypal model not related to jungs archetypes
Hero, Mother/Father, Puer/Puella, anima/animus, Witch/Senex, and Trickster were from Jung. Beebe simply matched them to the function roles.
They actually do have meaning apart from the functions. Abbott & Costello are a Puer/Senex combo, for instance, as are several other similar comedy teams. It is a familiar theme; hence, an archetype, from the collective unconscious. When it enters the personal unconscious; then it becomes a complex.
(Originally, Senex was the shadow of the Puer rather than the Parent).

Opposing Personality Beebe invented, to fill in a "negative hero" slot. Demon seems to have been coined by someone named Donald Kalsched who discussed it and the Trickster in light of trauma. (Like in the aftermath of war and other PTSD type scenarios, those complexes block out the damaging emotional content to try to preserve the ego's integrity). To Jung, it was a "negative anima".
Beebe extended both to less-than-traumatic circumstances.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hero, Mother/Father, Puer/Puella, anima/animus, Witch/Senex, and Trickster were from Jung. Beebe simply matched them to the function roles.
They actually do have meaning apart from the functions. Abbott & Costello are a Puer/Senex combo, for instance, as are several other similar comedy teams. It is a familiar theme; hence, an archetype, from the collective unconscious. When it enters the personal unconscious; then it becomes a complex.
(Originally, Senex was the shadow of the Puer rather than the Parent).

Opposing Personality Beebe invented, to fill in a "negative hero" slot. Demon seems to have been coined by someone named Donald Kalsched who discussed it and the Trickster in light of trauma. (Like in the aftermath of war and other PTSD type scenarios, those complexes block out the damaging emotional content to try to preserve the ego's integrity). To Jung, it was a "negative anima".
Beebe extended both to less-than-traumatic circumstances.

he didnt just match the archetypes to fir the function roles, he uses the word archetype in totally different meaning and gives new meanings to the individual archetypes also. even tho if beebe has had this idea of archetypes from jung, he changed the concept so much that its totally different thing, so that he could apply it to something that jung never intended to.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah; that pretty much was explained to me basically by someone who disagrees with the way he has used several of the archetypes, and I can see the objection. I wonder if those might have been the best archetypes for the function roles, but for now, they do seem to make some sense.

I look at them as special instances of the archetypes. It's not either or. The archetypes cover many types of situations, so there is no reason they cannot explain these function roles, and still maintain their archaic identity beyond them.
The tertiary function does seem to become connected with a genuine Puer (eternal child) complex, and the inferior with the anima/animus. It makes sense, as anima/animus is about everything "other" than the ego, so that will include the opposite gender, the opposite function and the opposite I/E orientation.

With the shadows, it becomes more loose, but they do still seem to make sense. The shadow of the auxiliary (by which we confidently support others) being a negative parent figure, like a witch or senex (it was suggested to me that "Crone" might have been a better female counterpart to the senex).
I guess that does carry a usually negative connotation that was not necessarily so in the original archetype. (The positive side of the function complex, "wise old man" would cover the original meaning). But it does seem to give you the general idea of the roles the functions play under stress. I guess Berens terms (which she calls "roles" rather than "archetypes") -lead, support, relief, aspirational, oppositional, critical, deceiving, destructive- would be better.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
its like ice hockey vs soccer. lets pretend that there is no ice hockey invented yet and someone who is looking at soccer has an idea that it might be cool to change the ball to a puck and play it on ice using skates and a stick. even if the guy who invented the new game and modified it to work on ice called it soccer because the rules are similar, its still a different game and those two games should not be mixed even if they would be called the same..