User Tag List

View Poll Results: Thought on the Validity of MBTI

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's amazing and perfect, the ultimate way to organize and know people!!!!!

2 9.52%
  • It's great but I wouldn't take it that seriously.

9 42.86%
  • Whether it's entirely valid or not doesn't really matter, as it's still fun and enjoyable.

10 47.62%
  • It's based on speculation and needs to be reconstructed with scientific data to be accurate.

8 38.10%
  • It's garbage that's equivalent to astrology, only idiots would believe this nonsense.

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Thoughts On the Validity of MBTI

Recently I began re-wondering the validity of MBTI and to an extension all personality theories. At first I started wondering is there was any use in them at all, read through critics of them, thought about it, and came to the general conclusion that although MBTI shouldn't be taken too seriously because of a lack of scientific data, it's still a fun activity to type characters and people in my spare time.

Now I want your opinions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i think it can be very useful for understanding yourself and others if you and they fall into the delineated categories well. but the categories are totally artificial, so it's only useful as far as people actually match up. which, depending on the individual, might be very much, or really not very much at all.

that said, i like the MBTI better than, for instance, the big five, because i feel like the MBTI gives equal pros and cons to each personality type. the big five, on the other hand, has an obvious "answer". regardless of how much data may support it, the big five can be very disempowering to someone who is by nature one of the "unfavored" types.

MBTI
    INFP

I would love to find out if there are neurological differences that correspond with the different types for functions.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

validity and reliability of internet tests are pretty poor, dunno about real tests.

but when you understand what mbti is supposed to measure and understand the system, its pretty valid. type descriptions naturally arent that valid since they only talk about generalizations of how the function set on that particular type usually effect your personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybin View Post
    I would love to find out if there are neurological differences that correspond with the different types for functions.
    http://aptinternational.org/assets/j..._1105_apti.pdf
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Recently I began re-wondering the validity of MBTI and to an extension all personality theories. At first I started wondering is there was any use in them at all, read through critics of them, thought about it, and came to the general conclusion that although MBTI shouldn't be taken too seriously because of a lack of scientific data, it's still a fun activity to type characters and people in my spare time.

Now I want your opinions.
    I don't have much confidence in MBTi itself, but I do feel that the border subject of function theory in general has validity.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Andy
    I don't have much confidence in MBTi itself, but I do feel that the border subject of function theory in general has validity.
    Now if only scientists could find a strong and concrete correlation to actual brain function and cognitive functions, perhaps then MBTI could regain reliability.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Now if only scientists could find a strong and concrete correlation to actual brain function and cognitive functions, perhaps then MBTI could regain reliability.
    check out that pdf i linked to cybin.

just to make it clear that reliability and validity are totally different things in psychological research
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by INTP
    check out that pdf i linked to cybin.

just to make it clear that reliability and validity are totally different things in psychological research
    Looks intruiging, I'll make sure check it out later.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

There should have been another choice:
    •Whether it's entirely scientific or not; it's still provides a good way to understand our preferences.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    There should have been another choice:
    •Whether it's entirely scientific or not; it's still provides a good way to understand our preferences.
    Yes, an imperfect system that is still very helpful in understanding others and ourselves.

I'm always glad of your sane perspective on this among other things Eric. What are Mrs. B's thoughts on this since you no doubt discuss this sort of thing a lot?