User Tag List

View Poll Results: Thought on the Validity of MBTI

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's amazing and perfect, the ultimate way to organize and know people!!!!!

2 9.52%
  • It's great but I wouldn't take it that seriously.

9 42.86%
  • Whether it's entirely valid or not doesn't really matter, as it's still fun and enjoyable.

10 47.62%
  • It's based on speculation and needs to be reconstructed with scientific data to be accurate.

8 38.10%
  • It's garbage that's equivalent to astrology, only idiots would believe this nonsense.

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Yes, an imperfect system..
    there isnt a perfect system and people dont even have perfect understanding of the human personality. there are only tools that you can use to explain parts of the whole personality.

validity means that the system is measuring what it is supposed to measure and mbti isnt supposed to measure the whole human personality, just parts of it. the parts that it measures, it measures them pretty well, so its fair to say that the system is pretty valid.

if you want wider understanding on some persons personality, you will need multiple different personality measurements, none of them can come even close on their own.

@eric

there isnt any system that measures personality in totally scientific way, other than biological measures. like EEG, reaction time, PET scan, MRI scan, hormonal levels etc. and those things dont tell much on their own.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Yes, an imperfect system that is still very helpful in understanding others and ourselves.

I'm always glad of your sane perspective on this among other things Eric. What are Mrs. B's thoughts on this since you no doubt discuss this sort of thing a lot?
    Hi!
    She said she would agree with what I said.
    Though, I often get into it so much (especially when it comes to some of the concepts and using them to explain our every move sometimes), she will then point out it is not scientific, or that it can become like a religion. (Especially considering its source is Jung who kind of mixed it with religion at times).

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    there isnt a perfect system and people dont even have perfect understanding of the human personality. there are only tools that you can use to explain parts of the whole personality.

validity means that the system is measuring what it is supposed to measure and mbti isnt supposed to measure the whole human personality, just parts of it. the parts that it measures, it measures them pretty well, so its fair to say that the system is pretty valid.

if you want wider understanding on some persons personality, you will need multiple different personality measurements, none of them can come even close on their own.

@eric

there isnt any system that measures personality in totally scientific way, other than biological measures. like EEG, reaction time, PET scan, MRI scan, hormonal levels etc. and those things dont tell much on their own.
    Yeah; it seems that "science" is defined in a very STJ way that demands conformity to agreed upon principles and concrete "empirical evidence"; and I'm sometimes not even sure what exactly it is they want. Various statistical studies have been done on it, but it seems a theory like this is too abstract for them. And of course, even with empirical evidence, a theory is still not perfect.
    Since there are some who attempt to integrate neurology into the theory; I would think that would be a potential hope for gaining some concrete credibility.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Eric B
    There should have been another choice:
    •Whether it's entirely scientific or not; it's still provides a good way to understand our preferences.
    Should I add that to the poll?

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    there isnt a perfect system...
    I wasn't implying there was.

I agree that we should cast a wider net if we want to upgrade our 2D people models to 3D ones.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Should I add that to the poll?
    If you can; definitely! (I didn't know you could modify a poll).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Eric B
    If you can; definitely! (I didn't know you could modify a poll).
    Tried and discovered that it cannot be modified

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Tried and discovered that it cannot be modified
    /sadface

I would pick that option.