• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Labels, Types and their (undesirable?) polarizing effects

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
http://visaisahero.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/labels/

I haven't posted here in a few months; I think mostly because I've begun to feel like I learned all I had to learn from MBTI. I felt it was a lot like Wittgenstein's ladder for me- a tool that had to be discarded after it had been climbed up and over. Your thoughts?

raminda

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
You can't avoid labels, language is labels. Without labels the world makes no sense. What you can do is know that labels are just labels and not truth, and you should be fine (like the author of the article says). The label should be chosen because it describes something in some aspect, and when you change the thing to fit the label, ur doin it 'rong. But when people do this, blame them and not the labels. It's not the MBTI's fault that some people are idiots.

So, what can be done? Well, you could point it out to people when they're being idiots, if you think that is your fight to fight.

Katefox

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4?
I like labels. They give me a quick shorthand to describe things and people (including myself) with, and that's useful. Of course, forcing yourself to fit the label, or assuming a person is only the labels you apply to them defeats the usefulness of having them.

Actually, I had a thought the other day that Judging types would likely prefer having labels for themselves and others, and Perceiving types would hate labels and try to avoid using them...which is only partially relevant. >.>

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Actually, I had a thought the other day that Judging types would likely prefer having labels for themselves and others, and Perceiving types would hate labels and try to avoid using them...which is only partially relevant. >.>

P's like labels too. Maybe the don't like to see them applied to themselves, though ...