User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Isn't everyone inherently a feeling type?

I have the feeling that there may be another thread along these lines already. If so, mods, please feel free to merge this thread with that one.

Maybe we should just throw out the T/F preference because when you think of it, aren't humans ultimately ruled by feeling on a fundamental level? Seek pleasure and avoid pain. Oftentimes the "logical" decision is really the one that causes the most pleasure and avoids the most pain in the long run for the most people. But isn't that just ultimately making a feeling based decision? Thoughts? Feelings?

INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I have discussed this recently. Humans are subjective by nature, there is no true objectivity through the lens of human perception.
    I said.. The human template is F, and T is just a case of denial.
    I am being subjective no matter how objective I try to be.
    All value is subjective, all truth is subjective once it has been perceived by a human being.

T is not objective.. it simply puts more value on an "objective" perception or definition i.e. Justice over mercy.. the choice to do so, is still subjective, as is the value placed.

SO yes I agree that in essence we are all subjective.. and T/F tends to just describe what we are more prone to be subjective about.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

we all have and use all functions. There are just some functions that we default into more easily and feel more comfortable using.

I like to think of as a kind of filter. Mine in this regard would be Ti second Ne. So all info gets run through a judging (Ti) and percieving (Ne) function and filtered through that. Then sometimes my other less developed functions take over, when I stress and so on. Or when I choose to disregard the filter and speak/think through a different function. The functions should be seen as an abstract representation of the workings of the brain and how we communicate with others.

MBTI
    ENTP

A logical person is logical compared to other people, not to the concept of logic and objectivity.

And yes...we're ruled by a lot of things that are not logical.

It is estimated that the homo sapiens species has existed for about 195 000 - 200 000 years, and the more primitive humans are in range of 3.9-4.2 million years..according to google.

How much of this time were we "logical", in the way we are today? Very little. I'm pretty sure our instincts used to be much more powerful, nowadays they're rarely present, we're civilized now, and we've thrown away our animal side, and we've claimed our superiority over other animals.

And our transition from instinct to reason/logic happened quite fast, compared to the entire period in which we existed.

So I suppose we have our own kind of logic...who knows what it will evolve into. While the conceptual logic will stay the same. Ours is more exciting

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Technically speaking, T's also make their decisions using feelings, but that isn't the main difference in the first place.

The difference is that F's tend to worry about how their decisions affect other people in the moment, while T's tend to worry about whether their decisions are consistent, or how they affect physical objects or an intangible future goal. Both are obviously capable of being passionate about their decisions and their way of making them, though.

That's why NTs are always getting up in arms about the hypocrisy of society, or getting angry when other people don't want to be logical or listen to the truth. Ironically, society is as indifferent to the NTs feelings as the NTs are to theirs.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

its not about being ruled by feelings. in short, its about more often preferring to make decisions based on feelings(dont confuse this with emotion) vs logical analysis.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Well, maybe I could put it this way: because our feelings are generated/processed by our brains, then wouldn't everyone inherently be a "thinking" type?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

No. But you probably are.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Well, maybe I could put it this way: because our feelings are generated/processed by our brains, then wouldn't everyone inherently be a "thinking" type?
    i think part of the issue is MBTI Thinking/Feeling are not the same as regular thinking/feeling... they're different vocabulary.

perhaps a very basic explanation would be that someone who MBTI Thinks cares about objectivity and logical consistency (either internally within the mind/system - Ti / xxTP, or externally in the environment - Te / xxTJ), while someone who Feels puts more focus on how much things matter to persons (either internally to the mind - Fi / xxFP, or externally to interpersonal relationships - Fe / xxFJ). this screws with Feelers' ability to look at things neutrally, but facilitates our ability to associate with people.

so of course we all think and feel, and often those two are not very different things, or at least one informs the other (in CBT training, i've learned the sequence "thoughts affect feelings affect behavior"), but usually we have a preference for MBTI Thinking or Feeling.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    A logical person is logical compared to other people, not to the concept of logic and objectivity.
    Exactly. Ts (like all most humans) aren't robots by any stretch, but there's still a broad range of "decision-making processes" within humanity.

It is kinda cool how surprisingly irrational all humans tend to be (objectively speaking), although we usually like to pretend otherwise, even to ourselves.
    -end of thread-