User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default How would you pick up that someone is using Ni?

I understand the functions better than I used to (I think) but I don't have the instinctive grasp of them that some of you seem to (or think you do... )

I think I have an idea of how I use Ni, but would find it hard to quantify or put into words. I am particularly curious to know what cues another person would display to make you fairly sure that Ni is their primary function (so, they would probably be INFJ or INTJ.)

How would you do it? Do you have any actual concrete examples?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think this is one of the hardest functions to recognize. I'm still getting better at it, but generally, I will look for someone who does the following things:

- steps back and looks at the bigger picture; seems to synthesize a lot of things and communicates a perspective based on those things
    - provides depth of insight on a problem with an orientation towards what is going to happen in the future
    - tends to be conceptual in nature

If I were to contrast it with Si, I think Si provides a perspective based on things that have happened in the past and if you ask questions, it will be obvious that the person's perspective is very driven by this. Ni is driven more by what is going to happen in the future. Both Ni and Si can look at past, present, and future, but the Ni perspective is shaped by a picture or vision of the future more than what happened in the past. Also, an Si user seems to be better at articulating their logic for their perspective - it's based on facts or concrete things that have happened before, so it is easier to understand. The Ni person won't be as able to explain it as well. They just think they know what will happen.

The trickier differentiation for me is Ni vs Ne. I can mistake one for the other. I guess the big difference to me seems to be that Ne is less decisive, more focused on options vs. conclusions, is shorter term in orientation and is somehow more connected to the current reality. Again, to me, the Ne user seems to be more articulate in explaining things verbally. I have wondered why this is and have speculated that it might be because Ne is more oriented towards present reality which is easier and more concrete to explain and comprehend.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you'ld just have to look if he has a god complex and then it's prolly Ni
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Love this short form explanation of Ni.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/in...intuiting.html

Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden “Aha!” or “That’s it!” The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

The main thing I look for is an empirical, functional approach to difficult topics. If it's too devoted to current theories/understandings, it's Si, and if it is focused on patterns without regard to functionality, it's Ne.

I've noticed, however, a tendency of some people who regard themselves as Ni doms to leap to the conclusion that others must be "S" if they cannot keep up with the Ni-doms meanderings, or, similarly, don't readily agree with the Ni-dom's obvious wisdom and experience in matters.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    So much for a good complex, look what I just scored : http://www.sociotype.com/tests/index.php?est_id=389

So much for a good complex, look what I just scored : http://www.sociotype.com/tests/index.php?est_id=389
    Tests are so unreliable. If memory serves me, didn't you score ENFJ on a test?
    I always thought you were different from everyone else in the forum. Take that as a compliment.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Tests are so unreliable. If memory serves me, didn't you score ENFJ on a test?
    I always thought you were different from everyone else in the forum. Take that as a compliment.
    Ya enfj or entj I got so far, but never intp. Thanks for the compliment, but it's time for the doors now

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBFhdeR9PE"].[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This statement that you make is somewhat joking but with an element of what you perceive to be truth. It doesn't seem to be an uncommonly held perception on the forum. You frequently hear these types of jokes. I'd speculate the reason you hold this perception is interaction you have had with xNTJs and your perception that they express a confident opinion without necessarily providing underlying rationale. You perceive them to have a "god complex" as a result.

The thing we need to realize is that it is really just a different way of thinking and communicating. We could make jokes about ENTPs being the flippant and sarcastic ones, but that isn't really productive.

Back to the primary topic at hand, I think it is virtually impossible to observe Ni in real time. You're observing the after-effects.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639