User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 102

  1. #51
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Perhaps, then, this is just the result of introverted judgment.

    So, if I get what U's saying correctly, a better way of describing Ni is to say "this is clearly, utterly correct. However, you're not seeing it this way, not because you're stupid, bad, or deficient in any way, but because you don't have either the same internal or external frame of reference for this to make sense to you. Here, let me illustrate/explain/show to you what exactly I mean, so you can understand where I'm coming from."
    Yes, that is an accurate description of what I'm saying.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  2. #52
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I'd already explained that, sort of. The light is passing through more atmosphere, and hence more particles. The red light will just pass through the particles. (Some red light scatters, too, if the particles are big enough - but that just means everything other than red is scattering even more.)

    The physics concept is easily analogized by imagining a small boat in the ocean. There are a lot of big waves (long wavelengths) in the ocean that just make the boat bob up and down. It doesn't move, and the waves just pass on by. The small waves will hit the boat and bounce off, because the waves are smaller than the size of the boat.

    There is a cool experiment you can do with a flashlight, a fish tank full of water, and some milk. Shine the light through the water of the fish tank (so that it passes through the most water). Gradually add in the milk, and stir the water so it is evenly distributed. As more milk is added, the beam of light in the water becomes more visible, initially with its typical yellow-white color. Then as even more milk is added, the beam starts turning red. The water around the beam (with lots of milk particles in it) starts turning blue. As you add more milk, the beam gets redder and the milk gets bluer. The blue part of the milk is analogous to the sky, while the red beam is analogous to why the sun looks red. And if you look at the flashlight from the far end of the tank, it looks like it's only emitting red light, even though it is surrounded by the glowing blue water of the tank.

    Whereas, the Ni determination would simply be an immediate "oh, the milk is diffracting the light" upon seeing the end result of the experiment, without any need for further demonstration.

    Makes sense.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Fi, obviously.

    Isn't the picture pretty?
    It does look pretty cool. I do think that the write up caters to a certain perception though.

  4. #54
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    If you would have dumbed it down a little more, I'd be happy......... It sounds like you're joking here, but it's close.

    I'm refining my description of both as I learn lot more like myself.

    Perhaps, then, this is just the result of introverted judgment.
    In what way?

  5. #55
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    So, if anything, the conflict/misunderstanding between Se/Ne and Si/Ni can be reconciled as follows:

    The inexperienced ego of someone with a strong Se/Ne function expresses suspicion when someone comes to a conclusion based on limited sets of data, because it implies that the effort that Se/Ne exerts is somehow unnecessary or wasteful. With experience, the mature ego recognizes that by virtue of either past experience or unconscious recognition, others can be trusted to make accurate judgments based on limited information.

    The inexperienced ego of someone with a strong Si/Ni function expresses offense when someone questions the conclusion the person has determined, because it attacks their credibility as a person. With experience, the mature ego recognizes that the questioning doesn't spring from distrust, but rather recognizes that limited data can produce inaccurate results, and that one should be constantly revising their determination as new information is known.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    So, if anything, the conflict/misunderstanding between Se/Ne and Si/Ni can be reconciled as follows:

    The inexperienced ego of someone with a strong Se/Ne function expresses suspicion when someone comes to a conclusion based on limited sets of data, because it implies that the effort that Se/Ne exerts is somehow unnecessary or wasteful. With experience, the mature ego recognizes that by virtue of either past experience or unconscious recognition, others can be trusted to make accurate judgments based on limited information.

    The inexperienced ego of someone with a strong Si/Ni function expresses offense when someone questions the conclusion the person has determined, because it attacks their credibility as a person. With experience, the mature ego recognizes that the questioning doesn't spring from distrust, but rather recognizes that limited data can produce inaccurate results, and that one should be constantly revising their determination as new information is known.
    Yes, and also recognize when an Ne/Se person has hit a shadow and actually reaches a Strong Ni/Si and stops revising or vice versa with an Ni/Si person.

  7. #57
    small potatoes NotOfTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Um, no.

    ... which is why polaroid sunglasses work well eliminating "glare" from the sky and from reflections of the sky (on a body of water or a window).
    Where can I get me some of these!?! They sound awesome.

  8. #58
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotOfTwo View Post
    Where can I get me some of these!?! They sound awesome.
    Most any drugstore in the summertime. You have to look for the "polaroid" designation.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Most any drugstore in the summertime. You have to look for the "polaroid" designation.
    or "polarized". Dont want them to end up with a camera.

  10. #60
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Yes, and also recognize when an Ne/Se person has hit a shadow and actually reaches a Strong Ni/Si and stops revising or vice versa with an Ni/Si person.
    I'm of the opinion that the other person's functional traits are irrelevant; we all have to develop ourselves to be able to coexist with all kinds of people.

Similar Threads

  1. Religious people - How would you go about converting someone?
    By EcK in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-18-2015, 05:50 PM
  2. [ENFJ] ENFJs: How would you like someone to tell you that they are in love with you?
    By rosemilk in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
  3. How would you type someone who...
    By CunningLinguist in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 05:36 PM
  4. How do you figure out if someone is ENTP or ESTP?
    By KarenParker in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 03:30 PM
  5. [NT] how could/would you cheer up an INTP?
    By white in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO