User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Personally, I think the only way that you can pick up that someone else is using Ni, is through using Ni. In other words, it takes one to know one. Ni users can detect one another pretty well after spending enough time with each other. The first impression can be wrong (though not usually), but it's almost always corrected over time.

Quote Originally Posted by raminda View Post
    I think my most obvious observations of Ni in my boyfriend (an INTJ) is in his explanations of his most fundamental opinions. As an example, he holds the opinion that when it comes to looks, what people should strive for is to have their "outer self" look as much as their "true, inner self" as possible. The closer someone is to this goal, the more beautiful they are. (I think this could indicate Fi too, though.)
    Aww! What a beautiful sentiment and ideal. Not very practical, but beautiful. It's really more Ni-Fi than Ni by itself, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

to someone who is not in the Ni know - piercing gaze that looks "through" things.

i am 100% serious.

i think you would have to be relatively close to someone to get to see this enough to be sure of it, though. one of my close friends who's ENFJ, she doesn't do it in a very obvious way, but sometimes she'll do a sort of Fe push - like push people away for a minute so they're not paying attention to her - and sometimes you can see her just STARING through something for a few seconds. it's like she's trying to set it on fire with her eyes.

and then she'll snap back, and say something really insightful but that jumps WAY down the line in terms of a -> b -> c. she'll jump straight to z. and it's usually not about something we've talked about recently, it'll be something from a while back that she's obviously just been playing with in her head for a while, and suddenly zoomed down the pattern line to an insight. i don't think she shares these things with everyone much because they'd probably have no idea what the hell she's referring to, since it doesn't happen in linear timeflow - plus she has greater privacy of thought than me in general - but it's pretty interesting when she does it.

i suspect that is Ni at least. or maybe she is just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower
    They get lost in their own thoughts in the middle of a conversation.
    yeah. Ne does this too, but usually in a more open, tangential way. i feel like Ni users escape into themselves while Ne users just tug you along on their crazy little string.

MBTI
    INTJ

I kind of back into the Perception function. I work with the dichotomies, so I'll look for the judgement function first, then see the perception function next. With Ni, I try to look for the basis behind their conclusions; the connections they have made. if they are more prone to give credit to something generally accepted or known, or they disregard information they are not familiar with, I'll initially conclude whether it's Ni/Si. I don't think this is foolproof, because depending on the issue a Ni dom can be 'sold' on something that's widely held and accepted, and if they are convinced, they will disregard what I'm saying, Like a Si user can challenge the gold standard information.

The best way to learn a person IMO, is a discussion of something new to the person. The discovery process says a lot. I think the Ni vs Si becomes very clear then.

Ni vs Ne....I'm working on my words to explain this, but in short Ni is more deep where Ne is wide.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    to someone who is not in the Ni know - piercing gaze that looks "through" things.

i am 100% serious.

i think you would have to be relatively close to someone to get to see this enough to be sure of it, though. one of my close friends who's ENFJ, she doesn't do it in a very obvious way, but sometimes she'll do a sort of Fe push - like push people away for a minute so they're not paying attention to her - and sometimes you can see her just STARING through something for a few seconds. it's like she's trying to set it on fire with her eyes.

and then she'll snap back, and say something really insightful but that jumps WAY down the line in terms of a -> b -> c. she'll jump straight to z. and it's usually not about something we've talked about recently, it'll be something from a while back that she's obviously just been playing with in her head for a while, and suddenly zoomed down the pattern line to an insight. i don't think she shares these things with everyone much because they'd probably have no idea what the hell she's referring to, since it doesn't happen in linear timeflow - plus she has greater privacy of thought than me in general - but it's pretty interesting when she does it.

i suspect that is Ni at least. or maybe she is just crazy.

yeah. Ne does this too, but usually in a more open, tangential way. i feel like Ni users escape into themselves while Ne users just tug you along on their crazy little string.
    That sounds exactly right. One other thought that just occurred to me is that when I zone out like that and come back, sometimes I'll communicate without laying sufficient context which can confuse the other person because they cannot see a direct or linear correlation with the topic at hand. You are skipping too far ahead. Once people get to know you, it's fine. Initially though, people can act a bit dumbstruck - like what is this person talking about, how is that related or significant, ignore it, or whatever. I believe I project this habit (of not setting context) onto others by being critical when they have not laid adequate context when they communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post

Ni vs Ne....I'm working on my words to explain this, but in short Ni is more deep where Ne is wide.
    Yep. One converges. The other diverges.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What's really fun is when the other person can shift just like you can, so you zone out and then say the thing that went to Z on a subject not currently being discussed, and the other person knows exactly what you're talking about and picks up the conversation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    What's really fun is when the other person can shift just like you can, so you zone out and then say the thing that went to Z on a subject not currently being discussed, and the other person knows exactly what you're talking about and picks up the conversation.
    Yeah, it's why I enjoy my Ni-dom friends immensely. They'll say something - like, points a and b, and then I'll say, 'So yeah, then that means Z' (because we all tend to think about a lot of these subjects the same way), and she'll say 'Exactly', and then we've 'conversed' in a matter of seconds what would have taken.... a lot longer or not even happened with someone else.

I'd go so far a to say the unspoken gaps/leaps are understood and implied, with two Ni's talking together - the leaps usually make sense.

Re. zoning out - I zone out and *pause* and go inward a LOT during conversation. I think it's fair to say I'm 'zoning out' a lot more than I'm actually talking - and this is when *I'm* doing the talking. And of course I listen far more than I 'Talk'.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    nnnn

You just know.

duh

+1...quick shifting is fuuun...and what Cascade said about the gaps

Sometimes such a wealth of connections and possibilities and metareactions and further shiftings is created or activated in a split second...that it's just really difficult to articulate, and then having another Ni user around is awesome because they will generally grasp what can't be articulated, the totality of it...

Ne doms are better about this than Fi or Ti doms...they're faster with what's slung at them, more open...shiftier. :p

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Eyes. Literally. Physically. "Piercing" and "Beady" might be good to describe it. But I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Eyes. Literally. Physically. "Piercing" and "Beady" might be good to describe it. But I am not sure.
    AHHH... roommate's fiance (the one I suspect is INFJ) looks at me like this sometimes when I am talking and I feel so nervous/self-conscious, I start stuttering, I can't maintain eye contact, I forget what I was even trying to say... it's a total mess! Not beady, but definitely piercing.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    I'd go more with "piercing" than "beady." Piercing eyes are the Te, and Ni makes them even more piercing (the "death gaze") as they seem to look through you.

"Beady" is more of a Ti trait: they stare, but not piercing or penetrating, but rather "at" in an almost emotionless way. Think Data from ST:TNG.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.