User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I wonder if this has to do with the difference in Si and Se. From my understanding of the functions, Si isn't really aware of physical details, but more in tune with data, facts, that sort of thing. Where Se might look at a book, for instance, and say, "it's probably about 50 pages, because it's x inches thick;" Si would look to a known table of information and say, "the book is 52 pages." I think there's an important difference there between the sensing functions which people often overlook...it's the same way with Ni and Ne.

My understanding may be flawed though, in which case this post can be disregarded.
    I think both....Physical data could either be cold statistical data, like numbers and all of that, or it could be colors, scents, objects, etc. I'm more likely to remember an attractive or distinct facial feature, a tint on a car, or a nice suit/tie combination over even my football player's statistics this year. But I am good at remembering people's birthdays, and dates of stuff of the people in my life, although I really don't put effort into it.

A Strong Si user would definitely correct someone that the book was 52 pages if the person said it was "about 50" pages. An older ISTJ dude I know will reconcile things down to the penny, even though at the end of the day, nobody cares about the penny.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Questions like those are used in the MBTI tests I found online, to differentiate S from N.

My point was...How can these things be taken seriously?

Plus there are a lot of yes/no questions, that have no yes/no answer.

If everybody would be aware of their behavior , and would be able to quantify it in percentages, the questionnaire would be valid.

English is not my first language.
    I always poke fun at test questions. I dont like them for the same reason as you.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think a test with paintings to differentiate S/N preference would be more interesting...but the paintings would have to be equally beautiful...and that's kind of hard.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I say we get a N vs S bash thread going for fun
    Can't be done. Who would go against the sensors except for those very few who openly admit it? It seems 95% of intuitives here bash most of the intuitives for hate against the sensors creating some sort of oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    An older ISTJ dude I know will reconcile things down to the penny, even though at the end of the day, nobody cares about the penny.
    That's my Dad. You should have seen what happened when he saw me throw a penny in the trash.
    :horor:

I think a test with paintings to differentiate S/N preference would be more interesting...but the paintings would have to be equally beautiful...and that's kind of hard.
    How would a painting be an S painting or an N painting?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Well, except I don't think that necessarily 90% of people here are mistyped as intuitives.

Also, here's a related article that I read a while back that helped me type myself as a sensor: "How to Tell INtuiting from Extraverted Sensing".
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP

For instance this can be an S painting: (it has a ton of details)
    While an N painting would have less details and be more ambiguous.

So the person who is tested would have to choose between the one with more details and which reflects something more accurately , and the one with less details that is more confusing perhaps.
    But what would stop a sensor from choosing an ambiguous painting? It probably won't work.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Oh, well, if you insist. Your post was so ridiculous I didn't think it needed a breakdown, but why not.

This makes no sense. You didn't say why the S-N axis is a "huge distinction" compared to the other axes, and it's hardly obvious that it would be so.

If by sensor you mean SP and by intuitive you mean NJ. Even then, this is not necessarily a defining characteristic, as for all people, attention is required both for the moment (so you can actually function in real life) and for the future (so your life/career goes somewhere).

I'm struggling to understand your grammar here but it sounds like you're saying sensors can't think about the future because it's just so darn hard. This is a load of bullshit.

Ok, I can believe an intuitive might fall into the pattern of thinking about the future more often (and maybe in more detail) than a sensor.

Ok bad analogy. Video games are not exactly difficult and we don't have to struggle to understand what's going on. Come on. We're not intellectually incapable.

I'm sorry, what? Why on earth is "everything clear" for the intuitive but poor sensors need a manual because it's too darn hard to figure these things out? (durrrrrr)

umm, ok. No idea where this fits into your post and it also doesn't make any sense, but ok.

You're still saying things without actually backing it up. Saying it doesn't make it true.

I'm sorry, what?! You can't possibly be serious, is this just a really lame trolling attempt?

btw, cognitive is not a noun.

–adjective
    of or pertaining to cognition.
    of or pertaining to the mental processes of perception, memory, judgment, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.

You're right, N's don't need observation or memory - they just make up everything as they go along! Screw facts, they're brilliant enough to not need any external information!

Yes....

Oh so you mean, you either have the capacity for intelligent thought to some degree (N) or you don't (S)? How very insightful of you.

Yep, you've sure convinced me that Ns are brilliant. Good lord. Go read a book (or ten) and maybe you'll get a (very faint) clue.

1st bold: If I may, I think I can explain this a little better. S vs N is considered by many people (self included) to be the most significant dynamic to MBTI because these are the information gathering functions. Ns and Ss collect completely different types of data and thus understand the world differently. when by themselves, an S asks "what" "who" "where" and "when". an N asks "how" and "why"
    2nd bold: agreed, that is a horrible analogy. if anything, Sensors have an edge on Intuitive types, most of the best gamers I've met have been ISTPs
    3rd bold: it's not automatically clear, but it can happen EXTREMELY fast. older people frequently tell me I understand things about the world that took them 50 years to find out (I'm 19). it can also happen automatically, especially in N dominant people (ENPs and INJs)

For instance this can be an S painting: (it has a ton of details)
    While an N painting would have less details and be more ambiguous.

So the person who is tested would have to choose between the one with more details and which reflects something more accurately , and the one with less details that is more confusing perhaps.
    But what would stop a sensor from choosing an ambiguous painting? It probably won't work.]
    ^It certainly has details, but I don't know if that's necessarily intuitive.. Depends on the point being made

Here's a painting from a friend.. he's very detailed, but not like the above. I'm not sure what type he is sometimes..tbh. Just take the painting as is though. My point is that it's detailed, yet abstract. And if someone casually told me "Yeah, that's cool" and walked away, my own capacity for details would grab them by the neck and say "GRRR.. Look more."