• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think that most 'intuitives' are mistyped sensors, and the test needs redesigned.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh:

contrary to stereotypical expectations, my favorite job thus far has involved outdoor manual labor.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does it matter wether you are S or N in the end? There are plenty of Ns who aren't quite capable of persuing a normal life, or interacting with people normally....and it isn't an T/F thing either.

P.s. I'm told I'm quite sensory in the way I take things, but I'm definitely intuitive, but then I gather I'm one of the very few who's taken an official MBTI assesment. (I think y'all would be dissappointed).
Truth is I had way more trouble with the T/F divide, and I'm still not entirely convinced I'm INFP.( I have one women who tells me I have the vibe of INFP, even though there is a guy with extremely similar thought processes who self identifies as INTP, I can only put down this insistance to sex sterotypes.) However that's another thread for another day.

KDude

Does it matter wether you are S or N in the end? There are plenty of Ns who aren't quite capable of persuing a normal life, or interacting with people normally....and it isn't an T/F thing either.

P.s. I'm told I'm quite sensory in the way I take things, but I'm definitely intuitive, but then I gather I'm one of the very few who's taken an official MBTI assesment. (I think y'all would be dissappointed)..

I've taken official tests twice (spread out between about 15 years), and got INFP in both. I feel like I'm on a whole IXXP spectrum in some ways though (even ISTP at times if I think about it). Both N/S and T/F divides.

What do you mean by taking things in a sensory way? I can be detailed, but I'm not really making the most of it, I guess. I don't find some kind of pleasure in my senses. Just to use minor examples, I never talk about "eye candy" in the same way an SP might. And people kind of comment that I eat too fast.. like I don't savor anything. There's a lack of hedonism going on (hedonism in the mundane sense..). I don't know if that means anything, but it's different than SPs from what I can tell.

That all said, I'm quite capable of moving my arms and legs... and things of that nature. I can even play sports. Together with my pet monkey, I might be able to make some money from these tricks. The N that can do things. Call me a circus freak.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I gather I'm one of the very few who's taken an official MBTI assesment. (I think y'all would be dissappointed).

Please. I have thrice taken an "official" MBTI assessment (one in college with a counselor, one online, and one online with a phone assessment) and received INFP, INTJ, and INTP. The tests are pretty much meaningless.

KDude

Please. I have thrice taken an "official" MBTI assessment (one in college with a counselor, one online, and one online with a phone assessment) and received INFP, INTJ, and INTP. The tests are pretty much meaningless.

In the first case for me, I was already seeing a counselor and one day noticed a bunch of Jung books on his wall. I asked about them, and that prompted him to get me tested. Afterwards, his response was along the lines of "Oh.. yeah." He knew me pretty well, and just kind of gave me descriptions, and then we moved on and talked about the Talking Heads or some shit. It could be the most "meaningful" test I had. Oddly, for not putting much thought into it.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's a fair assumption reading this entire thread that the majority of people have only taken online tests. And top marks for misintrepretation....I said people would be dissappointed when they took the official version.
There was no elitist agenda. Just a statment, of which I should have quite obviously justified, clarified, and defined, so no-one would jump to conclusions.
I've taken official tests twice (spread out between about 15 years), and got INFP in both. I feel like I'm on a whole IXXP spectrum in some ways though (even ISTP at times if I think about it). Both N/S and T/F divides.

What do you mean by taking things in a sensory way? I can be detailed, but I'm not really making the most of it, I guess. I don't find some kind of pleasure in my senses. Just to use minor examples, I never talk about "eye candy" in the same way an SP might. And people kind of comment that I eat too fast.. like I don't savor anything. There's a lack of hedonism going on (hedonism in the mundane sense..). I don't know if that means anything, but it's different than SPs from what I can tell.

That all said, I'm quite capable of moving my arms and legs... and things of that nature. I can even play sports. Together with my pet monkey, I might be able to make some money from these tricks. The N that can do things. Call me a circus freak.
Right, what ev, I meant sensory as in hypervilgilant. Many, Many people people have noted that I figdet, can't keep still. Psychologists have noted I take in loads of enviromental details, more than what is average. I didn't mean sensory in the MBTI sense. I meant I seek out alot of sensory input. More than average, so it's notable. It wasn't a statement made to make myself appear special. No elitist agenda there. Just a statement about my personal perception.

What is it with people in this thread willfully misinterprating statements, it's like y'all want to get offended. Are people going to tell me all intuitives function well in mainstream society. I'm sure there are some sensor that don't function very well either, but there is no denying there are more than few intuitives so caught up in seeing patterns ect (excuse me for being Ne-centric, but seeing as I understand that better, I used it as an example) ect, ect, that they find it very hard to relate to people in general, including other intuitives. I wasn't making any reference to sporting abilities, or even threading a needle...I had thought processes very much in mind.

KDude

Uh, for what it's worth, I was just asking what you meant by sensory, just to see if it was like me. I didn't mean anything by it or was offended about anything.

I'm questioning the idea of intuitives not being able to physically function like you are. Jung never wrote about it that way, but even if he did, I'd still question it. The reason why is that I have eyeballs, fingers, toes, bones, muscles.. the whole works. There is no cognitive/MBTI reason why I wouldn't use them. I am a human being. Not some monstrosity.. like one of those chickens that are bred to be nothing but Long John Silver planks and Mcdonald's chicken mcnuggets.. I can imagine they're probably little blobs of boneless chicken husks. Now THERE's a chicken that probably can't do much physically. And I'm not the human equivalent. Being NF or NT doesn't automatically doesn't put you in some useless category like this.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
totally posted in the wrong thread

Last edited:
R

ReflecTcelfeR

I would say anyone who enjoys solving the unknown can be rightly dubbed an intuitive. Which would mean that bein intuitive is in itself fluid and some people frequent that urge more than others. Making them more "intuitive" and thus receiving the N. I am starting to dislike talk about rarity, because it inevitably leads to an argument on intelligence which has nothing to do with type theory.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think it's a fair assumption reading this entire thread that the majority of people have only taken online tests. And top marks for misintrepretation....I said people would be dissappointed when they took the official version.
There was no elitist agenda. Just a statment, of which I should have quite obviously justified, clarified, and defined, so no-one would jump to conclusions.

Eh, I didn't say you had an "elitist agenda," whatever that means (did you think I was suggesting you were elitist because you'd taken the "official" test?) I simply thought you meant that people would be disappointed with their test results because they'd be more accurate, and would perhaps show a lot of the self-typed (or internet-test-typed) intuitives to actually be sensors (you know, in the spirit of this thread.) In which case, I felt the need to point out that the official tests suck ass. But hey, it's all the better if we are actually in agreement.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh, I didn't say you had an "elitist agenda," whatever that means (did you think I was suggesting you were elitist because you'd taken the "official" test?) I simply thought you meant that people would be disappointed with their test results because they'd be more accurate, and would perhaps show a lot of the self-typed (or internet-test-typed) intuitives to actually be sensors (you know, in the spirit of this thread.) In which case, I felt the need to point out that the official tests suck ass. But hey, it's all the better if we are actually in agreement.
I'm guilty of misintrepretation too. I DO actually agree with you. :blush:
One of the most useful things I found, was a website that had all the types written in the typical voice of each individual type. I really wish I could find it again to post here. It's what decided me once and for all....because it wasn't the usual run of the mill fluffy INFP description, it was a good intrepretation of thought processes.

KDude

Do you mean Linda Berens book? link. The descriptions are based off of interviews.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh, for what it's worth, I was just asking what you meant by sensory, just to see if it was like me. I didn't mean anything by it or was offended about anything.

I'm questioning the idea of intuitive not being able to physically function like you are. Jung never wrote about it that way, but even if he did, I'd still question it. The reason why is that I have eyeballs, fingers, toes, bones, muscles.. the whole works. There is no cognitive/MBTI reason why I wouldn't use them. I am a human being. Not some monstrosity.. like one of those chickens that are bred to be nothing but Long John Silver planks and Mcdonald's chicken mcnuggets.. I can imagine they're probably little blobs of boneless chicken husks. Now THERE's a chicken that probably can't do much physically. And I'm not the human equivalent. Being NF or NT doesn't automatically doesn't put you in some useless category like this.

I wasn't talking about the physicality of it.....No function works in isolation. I skipped that assumption. The intuitive functions inevitably have a sensor function tied in with them. I was really talking about people who have quite disconcordant thought proccesses with the rest of society. Like the people who stay in doors all the time reading conspiracy theories and making crazy connections. That sort of thing. I really don't know what the sensor version of that would be....?going bush, and living day to day? It's not my intention to perpetuate stereotypes though. People really aren't that cut and dried.
You have me completely wrong, if you think I claim NF's and NT's are completely useless....considering I'm firmly in the intuitive camp and I function well enough to hold down a job, pay my bills, keep a roof over my head. I wasn't painting things with a broad bush stroke.

KDude

Umm.. I was never addressing you or accusing you of being wrong about NTs or NFs. I know you are intuitive. It's not necessary to get defensive. Here I am thinking I was on the same wavelength, yet you're convinced I'm attacking you somehow. Either I didn't word something correctly or you're not reading. Lets start over =) None of my musings had anything to do with you.. I was addressing the idea "in general" about people who thought intuitives couldn't be physically active. I'm making a big joke out of those kind of statements, and... to reiterate, they had nothing to do with thinking you were saying that.

KDude

I would say anyone who enjoys solving the unknown can be rightly dubbed an intuitive. Which would mean that bein intuitive is in itself fluid and some people frequent that urge more than others. Making them more "intuitive" and thus receiving the N. I am starting to dislike talk about rarity, because it inevitably leads to an argument on intelligence which has nothing to do with type theory.

I know that belief doesn't count for much, but I just don't believe in the rarity thing at all. I think I mentioned somewhere in here that socionics theory is appealing to me for this. It's all based on intertype relations, where it's inevitable that people interact with their duals. Assuming this is true, then one cannot follow the idea that some types are ultra-rare. If they were, then they are basically screwed, along with anyone who is compatible with them. Screwed because they wouldn't be able to meet very often. I think it's possible that types have an equal enough ratio, and that they do get to interact enough with compatible types - and not only that, but that since there would be a high number of each type, then it would mean that there are probably both highly intelligent and.. not-so-intelligent people in each type. INTJs, for example, who are still using Ni and Te, but aren't particularly remarkable (IQ wise). INFPs who aren't Chopin, etc.. This puts a little more responsibility back on the individual.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I was actually recalling that while I was typing that up. I can't really add to what you said, but I agree.

B

brainheart

Finally read Jung. Feel like a moron for not doing so sooner. If I were a teacher I would assign it to everyone on the forum. We could erase the filled chalkboard that is this place and start all over. The reason no one can ever figure anything out on here is the constant streams of misinterpretation. MBTI got Jung wrong. The whole typology madness is like a big game of telephone that's been going on for years.

Calling groups of people "sensors" and "intuitives" is silly, first off. (If you must, confine it to those who are ESPs, ENPS, ISJs, and INJs, at the very least.) And then you have the fact that anyone who is an introvert tends toward abstraction, because whatever concrete matters they are dealing with they view subjectively. This can lead to lots of introverts considering themselves "intuitives".

Just because you are an introverted or extroverted thinker, this doesn't make you insensitive or a jerk.
Just because you are an extroverted or introverted feeler, this doesn't make you nice or illogical.
Just because you are an extroverted or introverted sensor, this doesn't make you confined to reality as is or was.
Just because you are an introverted or extroverted intuitive, this doesn't make you brilliant and all-seeing.

I don't mean to imply that I am all-knowing by saying these things. I'm sure there are people on here who know way way more about this than I do. There's just so much misinformation out there/on here that it leads to constantly hamster-wheeling brains. That for sure is what mine's been doing for quite a while now.