• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you guys try to assign a type to everyone you meet too?

theniteshadow3

MBTI Type
INTP
I currently do. And it's driving me crazy. The more I learn about MBTI, the more I try to assign types to people. Apart of me loves it and finds it fascinating and very useful, but at the same time it's extremely tiring.

I blame my dominant Ti... I think. In the end it's also kind of depressing (I know... a few sentences ago I said I loved it...). But, I mean, sometimes you just want to meet and enjoy the surprises people can bring without constantly having to over analyze it. Right?

Am I making sense? If so, do you have this problem? Is your cpu about to overheat too?

P

Phantonym

I used to be frantic about it as well. In the beginning, when I first tried to make sense of it all. It'll pass. I still do type everybody around me, but it's like something automatic and it doesn't cause any overheating anymore. It's just fun, but there's more to people than their types. :D Give it time.

wolfy

awsm
I tried thinking through my wife's type. Almost drove me crazy. Other than that I have guessed, but it is more like pin the tail on the donkey than anything.

gromit

likes this
Sometimes I notice if somebody seems really strong in one of the letters/functions. It's not usually clear about all of them though. For example, my American roommate seems like a very strong E and P.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Yeah, sometimes I wish I could just get to know someone without analysing them to death (or analysing our friendship to death), but I figure, if this is what my brain gonna do automatically for the foreseeable future, then I might as well roll with it. It stops the burnout. I let my brain piece together a type for the person and then I can relax. Or, if I'm bored with a person and our conversation, I'll turn to typing them to have some mental fun.

But finding the flaws in MBTI will help, too (because there are a number of them). And finding them will give you a lot of perspective and once you know that the system is faulty and could be improved, you'll naturally put less stock in it (or, I'm assuming you will, because that's how Ti manifests itself in me sometimes).

rav3n

The only people in real life I try to type are the ones that I know well. But once in awhile, someone I meet is the poster child for a certain type and I find that interacting with them is easier since their cognitive functions also come to mind.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I try to figure out which functions they are using when I'm bored, which makes it less boring of course.

Oddity

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't always actively try to figure it out, though I get feelings about what types people might be. I usually have all my friends take the Myers-Briggs test. All of them, so far, are introverts. It's amazing that we all found each other.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah. had the same experience as phantonym - really obsessive about it at first, but it calms down. now sometimes it's just very obvious, and other times it doesn't occur to me at all.

if it's getting too annoying, just take a little break from mbti, think about other things for a few days. it'll go away.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i just got back from a dinner party. everyone at my table of 10 got typed. by me, the lay rabid typologist. some really enjoyed it. some spoke much more intelligently than i could on the nuances of personality typing. others seemed irritated and potentially rolled their eyes.

i am trying very hard not to see the world through MBTI, but it isn't easy as i'm in the learning/application phase. i honestly look forward to giving it a rest. i'm damned annoying about it these days. i need another hobby.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah I do, but just for fun. It's not like you should use MBTI as anything more as something to help you communicate. It's not there to make you go "Oh fuck, not another ISTJ!" or whatever.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ aw fuck, not another enfp :dont:

;)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont do it all the time, but i could see myself getting stuck on that kind of automatic typing. lucky i got enough control on my mind to keep it out of going on auto typing mode. i like trying to type people for fun at times tho. i usually do it when i see something that i could associate with something related to mbti. strong letter or function that pops out might cause this, if i see someone behave in stereotypical/usual way for some type or when i see that i might benefit on typing someone

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It comes natural to me. Patterns just show up. I don't like to rely much on it though. They're like "theories of people." Type explains individuals but you never know the validity of the explanation. Though most of the time I want a "fixed" answer, typing is a different case. The "answer" develops as you spent more time with the person.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do, and it drives my wife crazy sometimes. Before learning about MBTI, it was Inclusion/Control/Affection temperament combinations. She's the one who had the license for that, and we could talk about our friends and family through the lens of temperament now, but I went beyond her in the interest. And I had to figure out how the two systems corresponded, so I could basically reference them together.
As the OP alluded, it's Ti's need to categorize.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
No. It takes time to know somebody.

I only typed my family members and close friends.