• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who is good at math?

Who is good at math?

• Total voters

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, this next poll deals with who here is good at math. And I'm not just talking about arithmetic, I'm talking about the more complex maths such as algebra and calculus.

So, let's get started.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
How is algebra difficult? o_O I don't remember any of my calculus anymore... used to be alright at it.... I suppose I'm degraded back to "so-so" level. :(

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really remember much of it anymore, but I still voted 'Good at math' because back in the day, I WAS really good at math. I passed out of the first calc class in college and started in the second one, and my crowning glory was getting an A in Differential Equations. :smile:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Whoops, accidentally voted NT.

I have to use math all the time, so I haven't forgotten much. I do have to look up some of the more compicated integrals.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
It depends. Even algebra has many subfields... I haven't had much experience with matrices or the rest of linear algebra, for example (so far), but I think I'm quite okay at what I've learned of elementary algebra.

Where calculus is concerned my experience only extends as far as partial (product) integration and rotation. I can do stuff like derivatives and functional analysis (graph, minima/maxima, x-y intercepts, stationary/saddle points etc) fine, and manage integrals, but I need to be careful with the assigment lest I make some sort of mistake and get the wrong results . It boils down to experience -- I know how to do stuff, but lack sufficient practice, which really makes perfect in this case. Same deal with vector/plane (analytical) geometry.

Right now I'm learning about probability at high school. Looks interesting!

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius is ridiculously bad at mathematics, everything other than the grave fundamentals of mathematics goes over his head. Mathematics was one of Flac's favourite lessons, in the dinosaur equivalent of high school, but he still only got average marks. Flac thinks he is so bad at mathematics, as he has poor memory skills, therefore, he can never remember the algebraic formulas.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If anything, I just get bored with math after awhile. But otherwise I did well.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am terrible at algebra- I could never figure out why there were numbers in with the letters and why I had to solve things in a certain order all of the time. It was boring, tedious and I hated every minute of it :dry: I also had to cry my way up to a D instead of getting an F in the last semester of Calculus in high school (I was forced to take it thanks to cruel planning by my school councilor and INTP dad, who is not all that good at math himself :rofl1:)

I got an A in business calculus in college though- it made sense to me! :) I also do well in social science statistics since I know WHY I'm being forced to solve the problem! :laugh:

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
And what is Falcarius' type?
"Retarded" or "cool", but it depends who you ask.

Oh, you mean MBTI type, in that case Flac seems to remember asking everyone here on MBTIc a few weeks ago, and you helped mess up the poll. He thinks he is a INTP, but he maybe an INFP in denial.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Mathematics was always a subject that came easy to me.

Logic too.

Geometry was my favorite math class in high school

Oh how much I loved doing proofs!!!

I was a math major freshman year in college.

But I wanted to skip to studying set theory, needless to say that wasn't going to happen...

I enjoy math still.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Amazing, am I the only NT who isn't good at math?

I was never even very interested in it. I was more interested in it for purposes of designing my digital roller coasters more efficiently, and I have a really bad memory for all the formulas and whatnot. I'm also not that good with numbers aside from the basic memorization of statistical information.

I planned my roller coasters in my mind, drew the layouts on paper and then transferred the basic layout onto my computer by building the coaster by hand -- that is using a mouse and cursor to shape and move the piece of track. However, a lot of the times, I didn't even get to finish my design because I got too bored with perfecting the shape of the individual track and I lost interest in the whole project.

So I started researching mathematical formulas used in roller coaster designing, and I just couldn't understand it and was too impatient to. I was only interested in it only insofar as to serving for a more efficient shortcut to realizing my design into a more believable ride that would perhaps even be safe to ride in real life. I figured that by knowing the formulas, my designs could be more precise and still safe.

Believe it or not, when it comes to designing my own roller coasters, I am more concerned with keeping it safe for the imaginary passengers.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I truthfully don't see what exactly makes Ni types good at math. Ni is not logical in thinking and is more concerned with imagination and coming up with ideas. Ti is logical, on the other hand, and it's definitely the domain of math.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I did okay in algebra and i did very well on the math portion of my SATs, but it doesn't come naturally to me at all.It can take me quite a bit of time to figure out an answer sometimes, and then it's usually wrong. i have to do basic arithmetic on my fingers sometimes. I never even attempted calculus, algebra gave me enough of a headache.

i'm pretty good at geometry, but overall i'm bad at math.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Uber:

There's nothing that makes Ni good at math by itself. Ni strengthens pattern perception, though, and I am thinking that such recognition would help while studying or learning math, especially if one is interested in it (that is key). I find that once I grasp the ineffable "essence" of whatever it is that I'm interested in, it just sticks, permanently, and floats up to my mind when it's time to utilize the info. Ti might have a hand in that, too.

I've never had that interest in math, myself, (mostly because I find that most exercises exist in a vacuum with no real purpose behind them besides the practice -- which isn't a valid excuse, of course) but I do get by -- it's just not an active pursuit for me at this time, and never has been. But who knows what the future will bring.

redacted

I truthfully don't see what exactly makes Ni types good at math. Ni is not logical in thinking and is more concerned with imagination and coming up with ideas. Ti is logical, on the other hand, and it's definitely the domain of math.

well Ti is fine if the problems are straightforward...

with me, i solve hard problems like this: i look at the problem, tell myself that if anyone can solve it, i certainly can. then i sorta space out for a sec, and BAM, i just KNOW how to approach it with some combination of formulas. there's not really much conscious thinking involved...no guess/check or anything. my Ni just figures out the right way to look at the problem in terms stuff i already know.

problem is, i usually can't explain my thought process to anyone else. i have to just explain how my solution logically works.