• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who is good at math?

Who is good at math?

• Total voters

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm NF and I was the average student with math.
I was somewhat lazy in doing my homework so I think I could have become better in math if I had taken some time for it.

In high school, I did okay in math and got good grades. I never did my math homework in college because it was hardly ever required, and so it kept me less motivated. And I also flunked a good number of the tests because of it, but I just never seemed to be able to motivate myself to change.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, this next poll deals with who here is good at math. And I'm not just talking about arithmetic, I'm talking about the more complex maths such as algebra and calculus.

So, let's get started.

I've probably said this before, but I'm not good at math.

I still often have to count on my fingers and remember the rhythm of counting by numbers drilled into my head by my third grade teacher. Although I'm a little better with basic Algebraic formulas and such, especially if I only have to process the formulas in my head and have a calculator for the actual arithmetic (it's simply symbolically indicating adding/multiplying variables rather than having to really work through actual, high numbers). Geometry and graphing completely confuse me and take forever, though (although the latter is also much easier with a graphing calculator).

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
I'm NF. I used to be very bad at math but now is different - I don't really like math, and don't really hate too, I'm not too bad, and not too good at math. So I would say it's a "so-so"

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I have some struggle in statistics. In university, I had to take some remedials for statistics: descriptive and inferential, because of bad score (although passed).
But I found myself to study on my own without any homework back in elementary schools. So I guess that I am pretty interested in math to some extent. The topic I was enthusiastic in was arithmetics: addition, substraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, mixed fractions, etc. I was selected by the school I attended as one of their representative in a local competition. I was selected twice, for two consecutive years although I have never proceeded to the next phase. I was not informed about the level of the competition: whether it was a village, sub district, municipality, provincial level.
in high school,other students was selected. I feel that it was "a downturn" for me, since it was me who was selected in elementary school, not others.
I don't like the school that I attended select solely by their own criteria, who want to participate to the high school pre Olympiad competition ; not asking voluntarily who are willing to participate. Had the later been the policy, I could have registered my name for the competition. However, The student selected did not pass: pre olympiad, hence she did not proceed to the next phase of pre olympiad.
But I have tested my memory checking whether I could still retain memory of mathematics, by shutting off any source: google, books. Some formula come up in my mind rather easily: like the two dimensional structure area, volume of 3D structure that I was taught in elementary schools, more than two decades ago. I found also I still retain the memory of quadratic equation functions= x1,x2=minus b plus minus the root of squared b minus 4ac divided by 2a that i was taught in sometime in between 7th-9th grade.

Btw, I think It was rather crazy to select a student who was not asked whether she were willing to take part or not; she was selected because she was top class rank, whereas class ranking, is based on the sum of overall subjects taught; not only math. By the way, is statistics one of the topic of math or an entirely a separate discipline?

Last edited: