2 3.64%
  • I'm an SP and I'm so-so at math.

1 1.82%
  • I'm an SP and I'm bad at math.

1 1.82%
First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I am terrible at algebra- I could never figure out why there were numbers in with the letters and why I had to solve things in a certain order all of the time. It was boring, tedious and I hated every minute of it I also had to cry my way up to a D instead of getting an F in the last semester of Calculus in high school (I was forced to take it thanks to cruel planning by my school councilor and INTP dad, who is not all that good at math himself )

I got an A in business calculus in college though- it made sense to me! I also do well in social science statistics since I know WHY I'm being forced to solve the problem!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And what is Falcarius' type?
    "Retarded" or "cool", but it depends who you ask.

Oh, you mean MBTI type, in that case Flac seems to remember asking everyone here on MBTIc a few weeks ago, and you helped mess up the poll. He thinks he is a INTP, but he maybe an INFP in denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mathematics was always a subject that came easy to me.

Logic too.

Geometry was my favorite math class in high school

Oh how much I loved doing proofs!!!

I was a math major freshman year in college.

But I wanted to skip to studying set theory, needless to say that wasn't going to happen...

I enjoy math still.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Amazing, am I the only NT who isn't good at math?

I was never even very interested in it. I was more interested in it for purposes of designing my digital roller coasters more efficiently, and I have a really bad memory for all the formulas and whatnot. I'm also not that good with numbers aside from the basic memorization of statistical information.

I planned my roller coasters in my mind, drew the layouts on paper and then transferred the basic layout onto my computer by building the coaster by hand -- that is using a mouse and cursor to shape and move the piece of track. However, a lot of the times, I didn't even get to finish my design because I got too bored with perfecting the shape of the individual track and I lost interest in the whole project.

So I started researching mathematical formulas used in roller coaster designing, and I just couldn't understand it and was too impatient to. I was only interested in it only insofar as to serving for a more efficient shortcut to realizing my design into a more believable ride that would perhaps even be safe to ride in real life. I figured that by knowing the formulas, my designs could be more precise and still safe.

Believe it or not, when it comes to designing my own roller coasters, I am more concerned with keeping it safe for the imaginary passengers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i'm hella good at math

Ni and Ti work well together.

I suck at algebra on up. I can do basic calculator math, solve for X, basic geometry, but not much more.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I truthfully don't see what exactly makes Ni types good at math. Ni is not logical in thinking and is more concerned with imagination and coming up with ideas. Ti is logical, on the other hand, and it's definitely the domain of math.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I did okay in algebra and i did very well on the math portion of my SATs, but it doesn't come naturally to me at all.It can take me quite a bit of time to figure out an answer sometimes, and then it's usually wrong. i have to do basic arithmetic on my fingers sometimes. I never even attempted calculus, algebra gave me enough of a headache.

i'm pretty good at geometry, but overall i'm bad at math.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Uber:

There's nothing that makes Ni good at math by itself. Ni strengthens pattern perception, though, and I am thinking that such recognition would help while studying or learning math, especially if one is interested in it (that is key). I find that once I grasp the ineffable "essence" of whatever it is that I'm interested in, it just sticks, permanently, and floats up to my mind when it's time to utilize the info. Ti might have a hand in that, too.

I've never had that interest in math, myself, (mostly because I find that most exercises exist in a vacuum with no real purpose behind them besides the practice -- which isn't a valid excuse, of course) but I do get by -- it's just not an active pursuit for me at this time, and never has been. But who knows what the future will bring.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I truthfully don't see what exactly makes Ni types good at math. Ni is not logical in thinking and is more concerned with imagination and coming up with ideas. Ti is logical, on the other hand, and it's definitely the domain of math.
    well Ti is fine if the problems are straightforward...

with me, i solve hard problems like this: i look at the problem, tell myself that if anyone can solve it, i certainly can. then i sorta space out for a sec, and BAM, i just KNOW how to approach it with some combination of formulas. there's not really much conscious thinking involved...no guess/check or anything. my Ni just figures out the right way to look at the problem in terms stuff i already know.

problem is, i usually can't explain my thought process to anyone else. i have to just explain how my solution logically works.