• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who is good at math?

Who is good at math?

• Total voters

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I've never seen the point of anything more complicated than addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I excelled in algebra and sucked at everything after that except statistics. Really, what's the point of it? I'm never going to use it, and the only thing you can do with a math degree is teach it or write down numbers in a cubicle all day long while contemplating suicide.

Oh yeah, and I can figure out prices, sales tax, and tips much faster than my NT friends. They probably get more pleasure out of it though... or something.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, most people likely won't use anything more complicated than the basic functions; but that doesn't mean there arn't any who don't use it and that also doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose. Thankfully there are people who do use it because it makes our bridges safer, keeps the power on, and and keeps the communication satelites up so you can watch tv and fart around on the net. But no, you don't need to know these things and I'm sure you're glad to know the people who do enjoy it have it covered. ;)

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Pfft. Algebra is to mathematics as grammar is to literature.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like it and I'm rather good at it, although I'm not that good at mental math. I'm fine with a calculator or paper and a pencil, but I can't work with big numbers in my head only. I'm currently a sophomore in high school taking Precalculus BC (the most advanced math class they offer to sophomores at my school with the exception of kids who entered the school more advanced). Although I've not gotten to true Calculus yet (we've done a little with it, apparently, although my teacher doesn't always say when something is part of calculus), we just started learning about vectors, which are really fun. ^.^ I'm doing very well in the class.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are there any other NTs that are not good at math?

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP

According to the poll, no. (unless you count the so-so category) My brother, an NT, isn't good at complex math, but that is more from lack of interest than lack of ability. So unless that was the cause, you're alone. :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to the poll, no. (unless you count the so-so category) My brother, an NT, isn't good at complex math, but that is more from lack of interest than lack of ability. So unless that was the cause, you're alone. :D

Hmmm...what kind of NT is he (ENTJ, INTJ, ENTP, INTP)?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I rawk at math.

It's kind of not fair though. I just know the answer. Like by magic. My brother too. Usually takes us a while to figure out how we got the answer, especially if it's a word problem, my favorite.

As far as just completely obscure math goes -- shit like (34*67)/15, y'know where there's no situation behind it -- I'm good but it's lame like a lame lamb.

It's like doing a puzzle with no picture, just white pieces.

redacted

i know 2 INTJs who aren't good at math.

the third INTJ i know is so-so.

i know 1 ENTJ who's amazingly good and 1 who's not good.

lets see....my ENTP bro is pretty damn good, my ENTP ex is also pretty good.

uh...and my INTP dad is a complete math genius, as is my INTP friend from high school.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Math always came easily to me (except stats...ugh!) but I never liked it, I think that deserves its own category really.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have an MS in mathematics, so yeah I am pretty good. Actually since most of the NT's I have encountered in my life are somehow related to math or science I have this natural bias in my head that tells me that any NT I meet should be drawn to math and the like. I know consciously that its not right, but I've known so many math/science NT's that's what my mind wants to assume.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP

I have yet to figure out. I've contemplated everything except ENTJ, although by now I'm sure that he's an I. He's rather anti-authority, has decided that civilization is bad because it is unsustainable, and dropped out of college. He is, however, amazing at chess and the stock market. The way he described his method of investing leads me to think he is INTJ, because he seems to describe Ni rather clearly (despite not knowing what it is), but he also has good Ne, while I don't see as much Te as Ti. I could be wrong though, as he moved out of the house 3 years ago, and has been living in a different city for 2.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj

I'm not really that good at it. I took college Calculus classes when I was in high school. However, I don't consider myself good at something unless I understand the theory behind it, and I don't understand how formulas were derived or why they were created.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm NF and I was the average student with math.
I was somewhat lazy in doing my homework so I think I could have become better in math if I had taken some time for it. But I wasn't interested with math so I never really invested on that.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type

LOL. if misery is company, and company is what you're looking for, then Uber, I'm with you. :hug:

Elf's not naturally good at mathematics. I had to study to get an A for it. But guess I'm lucky: I come from a country where the standard grade is 750/800 for the mathematics SATS paper. And 800 is a regular occurrence. Like, every other person in my junior college back then (and even now) gets 800/800. :doh:

In that sense, hothousing and regular practice helps with sucky maths skills.

:cheers: