User Tag List

12 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Different intuition attitudes' and meaning

If you're more interested in the meaning the author intended instead drawing your own meaning from it, is it Ne or Ni?

I think Ne, (intuiting the object, instead of the subjective meaning) but I'm not sure. Maybe Jenny or BW knows.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

seems like an Ni/Fe thing.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    If you're more interested in the meaning the author intended instead drawing your own meaning from it, is it Ne or Ni?
    I don't really get your question because, to my thinking, if the author has been successful, your's will be the same as his/hers. I may be thinking of the wrong kind of writing though... are you talking about theoretical writing? If so I would modify that statement.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post

I think Ne, (intuiting the object, instead of the subjective meaning) but I'm not sure. Maybe Jenny or BW knows.
    Interpreting the subjective meaning (like inventing your own meaning) is Ni. Ne is seeing objective possibilities in the outside world, and interpreting the intended meaning of an author's words is Ne, most likely Ne aided by Ti.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I'm also confused by your question- of course we can all only guess/conclude the meaning from the text, not from reading the author's mind- regardless of our cognitive functions. How we arrive at that goal might be different. I suppose an F might be more likely to personify their interpretation of the text as understanding the author's intent, while a T might be more inclined to depersonify (interpretation of material).

Your question seems more like literary theory. Personally, I believe that the content should be on the page, not in knowing the author's life story, etc.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Interpreting the subjective meaning (like inventing your own meaning) is Ni. Ne is seeing objective possibilities in the outside world, and interpreting the intended meaning of an author's words is Ne, most likely Ne aided by Ti.
    Yeah I said most of that in my post.

I don't need a knee-jerk function explication. Especially not one that uses common terminology. I might be stewing in a bunch of shit with those familiar terms.

MBTI is a system wherein one can cultivate a preferred conclusion based on subjective rationalizing and loop-hole usage of those terms (outside world, objective etc.).
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I don't really get your question because, to my thinking, if the author has been successful, your's will be the same as his/hers. I may be thinking of the wrong kind of writing though... are you talking about theoretical writing? If so I would modify that statement.
    No writer is ever successful then.

My question is, if the efforts are to find out what the author meant specifically, as differentiated from any other interpretation, (anaolgic, or symbolic) would it be more Ne or Ni?

I wrote the question poorly, you're right.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Ni. most likely expressed through Fe.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Are you so sure dissonance? I tend to go "What does the thing the author described means". Or maybe that's the second step?

Anyways, figuring out what something means is not the same as figuring out what the author meant. Although what the author meant falls under a subsection of what that something means.

Now is Ne more specific with wanting to know what the author meant? I don't think so either...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i guess i was trying to say that Ni/Fe is good at getting others' assumption sets.

i'm not saying it would stop there, or that it would be the first thing done.

but if your goal was to get into the authors head, i'd say Ni/Fe would be the best way.