User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is the United States?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESTP

8 36.36%
  • ESTJ

5 22.73%
  • ESFJ

8 36.36%
  • Other

1 4.55%
123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default America's MBTI type?

You might think that it's silly to try and type an entire nation, but I think that there might be some merit in doing so.

The main reason why I'm so interested in doing this, is that I constantly struggle to relate to or understand the perspectives of most other Americans. I tend to find them extremely frustrating in terms of personality. The only time I feel like something works the way it should, is when machines do it, or it involves money. Everything else about dealing with the average person here tends to frustrate me.

I'm interested in understanding WHY I have difficulty relating to so many other people, and what perspective they're all looking at things from that I can't see.

I mean, I had always thought that perhaps I found most people alien in general, but I've found that I end up having the same misunderstandings and issues with the US that those who grew up elsewhere have... which means that there must be some fundamental key missing from my view of the world that prevents me from being in-tune with the way that the people around me operate.

Don't get me wrong... there are plenty of things I like about living here. Freedom of speech, for instance, so that I can whine about things like this. I also like the fact that we're not a third-world country, and have fairly clean drinking water, safe food, and police protection. I like the fact that we have fairly good technological infrastructure, for power, telephone, and Internet access. Finally, I like the fact that we're a fairly wealthy nation with a lot of resources... although, I find it more unbearable here lately because our economy is bad (though I don't imagine it's much better anywhere else). I just don't like the general attitude and character of Americans, and I'm not sure why.

Thus, I'm trying to figure out which function/type I need to meditate on in order to understand my fellow Americans better. All I can tell you is that from a semi-liberal Ni-Fe perspective, it doesn't make sense or look very good.

The three most commonly proposed types for the US are ESTP, ESTJ, and ESFJ.

So, I'm wondering if I need to work on understanding Se, Te, or Si, in order to lessen my frustration and relate better to people.

If you think that the US is another type, please select "other" and explain.

Tell me what type you think it is.

MBTI
    TNT

The most frequent type is ISTJ or ISFJ, right? Sorry, I just can't type a nation, it's dumb to even theorize about it.

Ginkgo

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Depends on the time period. Its founders were secularists who believed in individual liberty and open government, so its first years were probably INTP. The 1920s were ENTP, the 40's and 50's were ESTJ, the '60s were ENFP, and the '70s ISFP. Society today is so un-homogenized that it's hard to assign a specific type to the whole country. Different areas of the country are different. Even something like New York City is hard to type. Its artistic section is probably INFP, its business sector ENTJ, its working-class neighborhoods ESTP, etc. If I had to type regions of the country, I'd go with INTP for New England, the Northeast states, and the Pacific states, ENFP for California, ISTP for Colorado and the Rockies, ESFJ for the Bible Belt, and ESTJ for the hard south.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    You might think that it's silly to try and type an entire nation, but I think that there might be some merit in doing so.

The main reason why I'm so interested in doing this, is that I constantly struggle to relate to or understand the perspectives of most other Americans. I tend to find them extremely frustrating in terms of personality. The only time I feel like something works the way it should, is when machines do it, or it involves money. Everything else about dealing with the average person here tends to frustrate me.

I'm interested in understanding WHY I have difficulty relating to so many other people, and what perspective they're all looking at things from that I can't see.

I mean, I had always thought that perhaps I found most people alien in general, but I've found that I end up having the same misunderstandings and issues with the US that those who grew up elsewhere have... which means that there must be some fundamental key missing from my view of the world that prevents me from being in-tune with the way that the people around me operate.

Don't get me wrong... there are plenty of things I like about living here. Freedom of speech, for instance, so that I can whine about things like this. I also like the fact that we're not a third-world country, and have fairly clean drinking water, safe food, and police protection. I like the fact that we have fairly good technological infrastructure, for power, telephone, and Internet access. Finally, I like the fact that we're a fairly wealthy nation with a lot of resources... although, I find it more unbearable here lately because our economy is bad (though I don't imagine it's much better anywhere else). I just don't like the general attitude and character of Americans, and I'm not sure why.

Thus, I'm trying to figure out which function/type I need to meditate on in order to understand my fellow Americans better. All I can tell you is that from a semi-liberal Ni-Fe perspective, it doesn't make sense or look very good.

The three most commonly proposed types for the US are ESTP, ESTJ, and ESFJ.

So, I'm wondering if I need to work on understanding Se, Te, or Si, in order to lessen my frustration and relate better to people.

If you think that the US is another type, please select "other" and explain.

Tell me what type you think it is.

I could not vote the way I wanted.
    Reason:
    America is a country of men and women. On the other hand. The T girls and the F boys constitute a large minority. Therefore the correct answer is ESTJ and ESFJ.
    Unfortunately you do not have the option for both of them in your poll query!
    However.
    Life goes on none the less. The grass is as green as it was yesterday. Do not worry.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Of the options? ESTP, definitely. I know America often gets typed as being SJ, but really - people are so unwilling to sacrifice anything for the good of their country. Americans are so unwilling to be tied down; they're so incredibly independent, and will make themselves heard whenever they think their freedoms are being violated. Especially when you contrast this with many European countries, where people are willing to sacrifice some of their "freedoms" for the benefits that a bigger and more structured government brings. I would think that an SJ country would be less inherently skeptical of authority.

(^ jsyk, I don't mean to be "taking sides", or picking a political fight, with this comment)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I live in a heavily conservative area of south central PA. Definitely an SJ culture here, and I would argue to a lesser extent the rest of the US is also SJ, probably ESFJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Of the options? ESTP, definitely. I know America often gets typed as being SJ, but really - people are so unwilling to sacrifice anything for the good of their country. Americans are so unwilling to be tied down; they're so incredibly independent, and will make themselves heard whenever they think their freedoms are being violated. Especially when you contrast this with many European countries, where people are willing to sacrifice some of their "freedoms" for the benefits that a bigger and more structured government brings. I would think that an SJ country would be less inherently skeptical of authority.

(^ jsyk, I don't mean to be "taking sides", or picking a political fight, with this comment)
    Well, I don't just mean out of the options. You can write in another type in your post, and say "other."

If you really do think ESTP, I would have to agree with you.

My biggest criticism of the US tends to be that we don't pay attention to the future, don't plan things out, and we're so individualistic and competitive that we're not willing to cooperate and actually get anything done. That doesn't sound very SJ, actually. We can be overly traditional, but I don't see any sense of consistency in what we keep and what we don't, where you would with an SJ. Obviously, this is frustrating.

I didn't want to be so quick to assign ESTP, though, because I was hoping I might have at least one or two letters in common.

If the poll goes differently, however... I might reconsider my assumption.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I'd say, administratively, it's ESTJ, and recreationally, it's ESTP. Both, being extraverted, "In Charge" types naturally rise to the top of their respective spheres. But since administration is basically concerned with the survival of the nation (and it's private power bases as well) as a system, it seems that ultimately dominates, even if it falls behind the scenes more as decadence increases.

(Recreationally, ESFP probably seems to fall close behind. ESFJ is not the type of the country at all, but rather would be the more "Father Knows Best" stereotype of the housewife and mother, set largely by men; and thus many of those people back then were just going along with the role and not really that type at all).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

the south is very ESFJ.

i suppose if i had to choose for the whole nation, i would say ESTP, but just barely so. i think we'd like to be more ESTP than we are.

I just don't like the general attitude and character of Americans, and I'm not sure why.
    My biggest criticism of the US tends to be that we don't pay attention to the future, don't plan things out, and we're so individualistic and competitive that we're not willing to cooperate and actually get anything done
    lack of J and lack of Fe, maybe?

in truth this may be more easily addressed via other paradigms than MBTI. i just think it's going to be a little hard to understand the paradigm of a conglomeration of people via a system that was not made for a conglomeration of people. because the nation doesn't have function restrictions... there's no reason, if it has a lot of Ti, it can't also have a lot of Fi, which in normal function theory doesn't work out as well... but there's no needed balance. so i think you're not going to see the same patterns with the nation that you would with a person, because there's not the same internal system of checks and balances, so to speak, lol

good luck with it though. i know i'd like to sucker-punch a few american politicians in particular. personally i detest social conservatism and leniency towards big business, so... yeah. i don't get along with a lot of americans based on that.