User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    It's not something I do 24/7 but to me it provides perspective. I know I have to switch it off to live my life, but it helps me identify mistakes and not repeat them again. Or to put it optimistically figure out what I did right the first time, and do that again.
    There's a difference between learning from experience and being nostalgic.

I'm not much for it. I don't know what's wrong with me because I would like to reminise, but I almost never do. The reason is for some reason I tend to associate a lot of negativity towards my past and it makes me sad for several reasons. Then I feel melancholic and often slightly depressed. Whereas when I look to the present and future I tend to think more positively.

I sometimes look back to the past in a cut-and-dry way to 'learn' something and I'm comfortable with that.

My entire family has complained that I don't display any family photographs and momentos - so I'm making an effort to do so.

MBTI
    INTJ

I would suspect SJ types to like nostalgia the most, then NP types, then SP types, then NJ types - purely based on how much they use Si. Therefore it was kind of strange to hear the ISTJ found it meaningless. Makes me think that person maybe was rather ISTP or INTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ

This question is triggered by a reuinon of sorts that I had recently with some of my close childhood friends. We decided to revisit the old school we used to go to late one night to see if it had changed at all. To me it was very powerful experience, as when I got there I could see vivid memories myself all over the place doing different things, playing games, injuring knees etc. I shared these with my friends who had a mixed reception to my reminising. My closest friend, oddly enough "tested" as a ESTJ (weak S) joined in, along with an ESTP (possible F). Whereas another friend an ISTJ saw this reminising as a pointless exercise, and the others (ISTP's) seemed quite indifferent.

I'm just interested in what you think in regards to this situation. At the time it struck me as pretty odd, as I can't really see how someone could completely disregard their past in such a manner. I'm all for the "here and now" but surely there is room to see where you have come from? I'll be particularly interested in what the E's and S's think of such activites.
    I tend to idealize the happy memories of my past.

I still keep in touch with one of my elementary school teachers.

When I lived out of state and would go home on vacation, I would stop in and visit 2 of the homes of the long-time neighbors. I like catching up with people after a long time of separation.
    I just went to my 30th high school reunion last year and I enjoyed seeing everyone, especially the ones I knew from elementary school.

I would have enjoyed visiting my old school, as you did. As a matter of fact, I've done it. My disappointment was that all the teachers and admin I knew were all gone.

Not sure if it's significant, but I loved school.

Dominant Si = hardcore nostalgiating.

MBTI
    INTJ

Where do people meet "N"s? I just find it so difficult to find someone who views the world in a "similar" way and my introversion seems to block this process a lot of the time.
    Libraries, bookstores...

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    I don't like nostalgia, it's just a waste of time. Especially since everyone seems to think they lived in either a golden age of peace and bliss or a concentration camp. I'd rather do something memorable than remember something I did... I can be nostalgic when I'm dead.
    True indeed, however I'm skeptical of anyone actually being able to commit themselves/their lives, to this line of reasoning.

So do you ever get, or have you ever been, depressed?

What's an adventurous soul like yourself doing on this forum?

Also how can you do something memorable if you refuse to ever remember it???

Aren't things memorable for exactly that reason???
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't like nostalgia, it's just a waste of time. Especially since everyone seems to think they lived in either a golden age of peace and bliss or a concentration camp.
    Wtf?

Concentration camp nostalgia? Like... did you know a masochist jew?
    we fukin won boys

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

There's a difference between learning from experience and being nostalgic.
    Have you ever been in love with someone before?

If not, do you think you are even capable?

*stating the obvious here: your response, though desired, is optional.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

Actually I know an ISTJ who gets nostalgic for things he doesn't even remember or wasn't alive for. It's quite bizarre... he was born in the mid-60's so he was too young to really remember or participate in the hippie movements and by the time he was at college it was late 70's, early 80's punk time. But he has this graet fondness for music of the 50's and 60's and seems to index and interpolate and entire identity and mindset that he associates with that music so that if he hears the intro to say, "Put A Spell On You" by Nina Simone, he writhes and sighs in his chair in an apparent ecstacy of imaginary remembrance of all the things he associates with it, re-associating himself with those things and revelling in it.

It's really quite curious.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen