• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do Extraverts hate Extraversion?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know about all E types, but I know w/my ENFJ husband there is his outer self he shows the world & then there is his private self he shows me. It makes me feel privileged that he reveals his "real" self to me, while the rest of the world gets the "show."

I would think that most extroverts have a public persona and a private one, no?

That's true about some extroverts, but it really isn't the same thing as an introvert anyway, for me at least. It's probably the thing about "opposites attract". ;)

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Are there aspects of Extraverted behavior in others that really irritate you/put you off?

Extremely clingy and underdeveloped ExFx types can be annoying. Ironically enough, their constant need to spend time together only increases my urge to withdraw. Other than that, I'm generally not bothered with extraverted behavior as louder extraverts simply present an opportunity to be louder myself while stupidity due to lack of introspection isn't particularly offensive.

Are there qualities of Extraversion that you are critical of in yourself?

I can become so carried away with talking to various people that I fail to focus on the issue at hand.

Do you often feel like there is a prejudice against you among Introverts?

On the Internet and especially on MBTI forums, definitely. Many introverts seem to assume that because one is extraverted as opposed to introverted, that this automatically means that we're lacking in introspective or intelligent thought. This is more of a generalized idea on their part and most introverts meeting me face to face actually tend to like me (similar to how certain Caucasians will make racists comments to their minority friends while stating that said friends are to the contrary). Off-line however, I generally don't find to many people who dislike me for being extraverted, particular since most people don't know about MBTI. A lot of STJ types think I'm too loud, however.

Would you say Introverts aggravate you a great deal?

I actually prefer introverts to extraverts. While, as whatever said, introverts can be more than a bit annoying when I'm forced to carry a conversation for them, I usually find that what they actually say tends to be more interesting than the stuff many extraverts will dribble.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Are there aspects of Extraverted behavior in others that really irritate you/put you off?

Sometimes wanting to take the spotlight instead of making the quietest people feel welcomed.

Do you often feel like there is a prejudice against you among Introverts?No.

No, sometimes the introverts just dont do their own "part" in a conversation enough, so I'll end up talking more .. and attempting to "inspire" them to talk. That, and I ask questions. That, and I just chill out and take the pressures off them. But, there's still the "problem" of extreme Is not having enough to say, and not keeping the conversation as interesting as it could be.

They'll then think I like to talk, whereas I already knew the stuff I was going to say .. so no learning there. Had they talked more, I would have learned more, too .. and been more entertained :)

This thing doesn't aggravate too much, it's just not as good from my POV as it could be.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, sometimes the introverts just dont do their own "part" in a conversation enough, so I'll end up talking more .. and attempting to "inspire" them to talk. ...

They'll then think I like to talk, whereas I already knew the stuff I was going to say .. so no learning there. Had they talked more, I would have learned more, too .. and been more entertained :)

Yes, I relate to that a lot. This one guy I know how makes me think of this, I once asked him why he wasn't saying anything and he said "I figured that rambling on like you do was fulfilling some sort of need for you, so I thought I'd just let you go on" - I was like :steam: I was trying to find something that'd interest you and make YOU talk!!!

It's annoying when because of this sorta thing, introverts draw conclusions about you "loving the sound of your own voice" and stuff like that, when the only reason you're talking is because you want to learn too, so you're hoping something you say will inspire them to talk, therefore stopping you from having to do all the work so you can have the chance to listen and learn!

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3

Certainly! I feel almost 'suffocated' around other E's. I think PM and LL hit on most of my thoughts on extraverts. I spend a great deal of time of carving a niche in my own little world. In my mind at least the 'boundaries' are clear. I get offended if another E doesn't see them....so I'm not shy about pointing it out IRL. I've always thought the logical answer would be that other ExFx types would be the first to see they are crossing the line since we would be close in type. Instead they are the first to fumble around almost clumsily (though this could merely be intentional 'testing') straight into dangerous waters. It tends to be ExTx types that get the earliest inclination of my body language and choice of words about getting in my space. I'm dealing with an ESTJ atm and now it's a battle!! Truth be told I'm kind of liking it. I suppose there is some thrill in the competition...unNF-like I know:devil: .

Yes I watch social systems carefully definitely in the workplace and with strangers. I don't like to mess with other E's lines if they were there before me. I like to find that perfect balance where everyone is happy. I suppose I try not to clumsily cross lines. When I'm in a good/talkative/excited mood I can overwhelm conversations with my energy so to speak. I always berate myself if I do and try, try, try not to do that.

Haha no not really. I've read a few implications in posts but really who cares? I honestly think the differences in E/I are generally amusing. IRL I've got a few running jokes about talking so much etc.

No I spend most of my time with them if I've a choice. They do not drain me (what a freaking hypocrite right?!?). Anyway I feel some sort of similarity with them in a sense. I have an imaginary world filled with reading between the lines.....an alternate reality of sorts. It's a complicated web of information that I'm always trying to adjust to.

(Another annoying E trait....rambling and getting off topic:doh:)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I spend most of my time with them if I've a choice. They do not drain me (what a freaking hypocrite right?!?). Anyway I feel some sort of similarity with them in a sense. I have an imaginary world filled with reading between the lines.....an alternate reality of sorts. It's a complicated web of information that I'm always trying to adjust to.

You kind of reminded me of an ENFP friend of mine right there.

(Another annoying E trait....rambling and getting off topic:doh:)

Well, I actually do that, too.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sometimes. I hate people who are constantly going for the spotlight, instead of just being themselves. Also, E males who try to do the Alpha Male thing and put other people down.

Yes, I find it necessary to know everything that is going on with everyone, and I often speak up when it would better/more expedient to keep my mouth shut.

Two additional, somewhat unrelated questions:

Sometimes. It does often feel like people find you less substantive and more superficial (which is not me at all). "Still waters run deep" and all that old nonsense that is not true.

Not really. I like someone who is a good listener, and many Introverts actually do think deeply before they speak/act, which I admire. If they open up enough to engage and are the open-minded type, I find them quite stimulating. As an ESFJ, I tend to look out for the best qualities in people (until they prove otherwise and disappoint me).

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Yes, the way they constantly blabber about things without checking first if you're interested

No.

No.

Too passive for my tastes.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
I don't know about all E types, but I know w/my ENFJ husband there is his outer self he shows the world & then there is his private self he shows me. It makes me feel privileged that he reveals his "real" self to me, while the rest of the world gets the "show."

I would think that most extroverts have a public persona and a private one, no?

No, I probably wouldnt say most, but some. I certainly can relate to what you wrote though. usually for me this "real" self is just what traits I tend to repress socially, it seems that I still am somewhat affected by criticism else why would I have this split?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I usually dislike things in other people that I also dislike in myself except with people who are opposite of me. (See the answer to the next question.)

My signature represents well my extroversion: Extroversion results were very high which suggests you are overly talkative, outgoing, sociable and interacting at the expense too often of developing your own individual interests and internally based identity.

So, yes there are some qualities of Extraveresion that I am critical of myself. It's being too open, being too dependent on other people, being unable to separate other people's expectations from my own, being unable to "unplease" people, being ubable to be unfriendly to people....and so on.

I don't know, maybe sometimes. Some introverted people need just time to adjust and most of the times they do approve me (but not everybody).

Not aggaravate at least these days. Before I did find introverted people a bit annoying because I didn't understand them. These days (with the help of MBTI types) I think I do understand the differences of people a bit better. I think I do understand introverted people better these days.