User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 30

  1. #11
    ~dangerous curves ahead~
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Haha. Glad you like them, maddam.

    I think that probably has more to do with sibling dynamics than Introversion to Extraversion.
    Thoughtfulness, yes. Always liked.

    Not really, INTPs don't usually lie. I know deep down, most introverts think they're better.


    Extraverts just allow them to think that.


  2. #12
    Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post

    Are there aspects of Extraverted behavior in others that really irritate you/put you off?

    They feed off you, but then project their views from your inputs, vs really listen. Sometimes you feel robbed, like they've stolen your story and merely want you as an audience.
    AMEN to that.

  3. #13
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's pretty widely agreed that Introverts are a disenfranchised minority of society, and as such, there's a great deal of information about the "problem" of Introversion and how to "fix" it.
    This actually sinks into the minds of a lot of Introverts, and they become ashamed of themselves, and more admiring of other Extraverts than other Introverts.
    FYI: http://www.capt.org/products/examples/20025HO.pdf

    Introverts slightly outnumber extroverts according to research done by the Center of Applications of Psychological Type, mostly ISs. This was also echoed by a study in the Journal of Psychological Type. The number of extroverts to introverts is hard to pin down due to the fact the extroversion isn't defined the same by clinical psychologists and MBTI. I think the MBTI definition is more neutral because it suggests where energy flows, either inwardly or outwardly. Also as far as MBTI is concerned, introversion and intuition tends to be conflated as are extroversion and sensing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Are there aspects of Extraverted behavior in others that really irritate you/put you off?
    Sometimes other extroverts just won't shut up. But since I'm an extrovert, I'll try to out talk them to get them to shut up. Yes I know, completely illogical. Sometimes other extroverts don't do the turn taking thing in conversation too well. We'll often talk at the same time and not really hear what the other is saying. The talking thing is the only main problem I have with other extroverts, but it's really not that bad to me. I like talking to people cause it's stimulating. I've learned so much stuff from just talking to people and asking questions, most recently a conversation with a tax lawyer who told me he charges hundreds of dollars per hour for what I got in a 20 minute subway ride. Unfortunately most of what he said went over my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Are there qualities of Extraversion that you are critical of in yourself?
    Other extroverts have already mentioned this, but I really have to be around other people interacting. Sitting in my cube all day makes me sleepy and tired. I have to get up and walk around and talk to people once an hour or so. I think better when I'm in groups, brainstorming things. It helps me to solidify my thoughts and figure out what I think and feel about things. Other people jog me into trains of thought I wouldn't come up with on my own and then I develop them further. My best thinking is done out loud with an audience. That kinda sucks because it makes you appear like you can't think on your own or your need other people to feed thoughts to you, but that's not really it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Do you often feel like there is a prejudice against you among Introverts?

    Would you say Introverts aggravate you a great deal?
    No, not really (to both). Most of my friends are introverts, freaking IPs at that. The only major thing that irritates me when dealing with some of my introverted friends is how homebodyish they are. We'll go out and I'll be back at home by 10 because they're tired and I'm just getting started. Not all of them are like this. Prejudice against me as an extrovert doesn't seem to exist IRL.

    aelan said my major beef with introverts:
    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Only those with a holier-than-thou, I-spend-more-time-in-reflection-read-more-deep-things ergo I-am-way-superior-than-you attitude.
    I've thought that this stems from the fact that everything (well not everything) but a lot of what goes on with extroverts is fairly easily observable and people don't recognize that things are also happening behind the scenes as well. I read somewhere that I notice introverts tend to think your vocalized thoughts are final decisions, when that's not always the case. Actually with me you'll probably hear my whole train of thought and I'll sound pretty confusing because I'm talking out what I'm thinking. I was actually told this weekend to talk less and think more. I was thinking when I was talking!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  4. #14
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Are there aspects of Extraverted behavior in others that really irritate you/put you off?
    Yes, Extraverted judgement is quite obnoxious.
    Are there qualities of Extraversion that you are critical of in yourself?
    No not really. I'm not a huge E. I have no problem dipping down into Ti to support myself, and when necessary, get me, or keep me out of trouble.

    Two additional, somewhat unrelated questions:

    Do you often feel like there is a prejudice against you among Introverts?
    Not in real life. Unless they know about MBTI, chances are, their issue with me isn't that I'm outgoing and active, but more likely the things I do in that activity and the people I socialize with. Here, I think there might be, and on INTPc Im 100% positive that there is lots of it.
    Would you say Introverts aggravate you a great deal?
    Hell the fuck no.
    Is are my favorite. They let me do my Eing, and every once in a while chime in with something helpful. How could I complain?
    we fukin won boys

  5. #15
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Are there aspects of Extraverted behavior in others that really irritate you/put you off?

    Not off of the top of my head, no. Extraverts are more likely to say stupid things, but once I realized that they are saying the same things that introverts are thinking I stopped getting annoyed. One of my hobbies is fighting ignorance, and extraverts give me cues toward what that ignorance is.

    Are there qualities of Extraversion that you are critical of in yourself?

    No, in fact I wish I acted more extraverted sometimes. Because I associate with a lot of introverts I can pick up some of their bad habits. If there was an Extraverts Union then I would have been kicked out a long time ago.


    Do you often feel like there is a prejudice against you among Introverts?

    I've only seen something like this from IxTx's. I think I frustrate and confuse a lot of them, because they can see I am bright and well educated, so they naturally assume that I am like them. Then when they realize that I'm really an extravert it's like I've sort of betrayed them. A lot of introverted intellectual types think that all extraverts are shallow simpletons by default, so when they encounter an extravert that is as bright (or brighter) than they are it seems to frustrate them.

    Would you say Introverts aggravate you a great deal?
    The only way I would say this is true is when I'm in a community that is introvert dominated. It's too freakin' quiet and low key. Make some noise already people.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  6. #16
    Member sinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Sometimes - just sometimes it seems there's a sorta double standard, whereby their need for solitude and "me time" is more important and valid than my need for interaction and company - they expect me to respect their need and say I'm annoying if I don't. It feels to me as though I've far more often foregone an introvert's company when I've really needed it in order to respect this need of theirs, than an introvert has foregone their solitude when they needed it in order to keep me company.
    I'm glad you said this. As self-centered as it sounds (big surprise, right?) I'm honestly never thought about this. My ENFJ husband wants to go do things with family & friends lots more often than I do, & we usually don't go because "I just don't feel like being around people right now," and he doesn't want to go without me. I never thought about his needing this as a way to recharge as much as I need my alone time for the same reason. I'll have to put some work into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I hear you're alright for an INTP

  7. #17
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    I dare say some things...

    I sometimes hate myself when i'm around introverts because I seem to take so much space.

    I would never, EVER, get into a relationship with an Extrovert. Oh well, time will tell, but I love introverts and respect their inner thinking.
    It has to do with one thing... If you're romantically engaged with someone who is an extrovert, you get the feeling of unsafety, and that everyone shares them. Sounds bad, I know.
    But with introverts it's like there's this hidden vastness inside them that they only show to a few loved ones, and once you get in there it's usually quite wondeful and fulfilling. They wouldn't let you inside their heads if they didn't love and respect you. You don't get that with extroverts most of the time, because it seems, like I said, that everyone shares them/us.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  8. #18
    Member sinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    But with introverts it's like there's this hidden vastness inside them that they only show to a few loved ones, and once you get in there it's usually quite wondeful and fulfilling. They wouldn't let you inside their heads if they didn't love and respect you. You don't get that with extroverts most of the time, because it seems, like I said, that everyone shares them/us.
    I don't know about all E types, but I know w/my ENFJ husband there is his outer self he shows the world & then there is his private self he shows me. It makes me feel privileged that he reveals his "real" self to me, while the rest of the world gets the "show."

    I would think that most extroverts have a public persona and a private one, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I hear you're alright for an INTP

  9. #19
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,124

    Default

    I definitley have 2 sides I control my public image very tightly, but don't control my private image very strongly at all! If I trust a person I'm willing to be me with them!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #20
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I was actually told this weekend to talk less and think more. I was thinking when I was talking!
    Yes, I've had that one too: "When you can actually come out with a DECENT idea instead of your usual half-baked nonsense, I'll be prepared to take you seriously!" A criticism often levelled at me by an ISTJ I know. And again, my ISTP father, constantly berating me for not thinking before I speak, completely unwilling to entertain the idea that I was thinking by speaking!!

    Ne is a bit of a gnarly one I think, cos it means you're totally engaged with the environment the whole time and thinking, rethinking, thinking again, y'know like every moment is a micro-thought in response to a micro-observation, it's impossible for there ever to be an end to it and any "conclusion" is only arbitrary and by no means fixed... and usually only hazarded at because of pressure from someone else to reach one, or state one, when in fact I'm still thinking. I'm always thinking.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Similar Threads

  1. what do you hate?
    By miss fortune in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 2890
    Last Post: 10-06-2017, 06:47 AM
  2. [NF] do you hate ENTPs
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 02:43 AM
  3. [MBTItm] What do you Love and What do you Hate About NTs?
    By Tigerlily in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Do you hate when people see you as hippie?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
  5. [INTJ] Do you HATE Guessing Games?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO