User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I think that being pretentious goes hand in hand with being pedantic. Acting like you have every nuance and detail figured out. And that's very Ti.

I've seen ESFJ's be pretentious jackasses, saying that what they believe is superior because it's what they and their families have believed forever and ever (which is Si justifying Fe by using Ti as a discerning mechanism.)

I've seen INTP's use it as a tool to push people away and then believe that they somehow are more objective for doing this. By pushing people away, using just Ti, they prevent people and their emotions from encroaching on their 'amazing' rationale. And they sit there and smirk from there perch. Only later do they realize that they're jackasses and that that's not what they really wanted and they hate themselves, quite secretly, for it.

Even if pretentiousness does pertain to intelligence it does intelligence a disservice. The ultimate goal of Ti is to gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision. Being pretentious is socially objectionable and thus a road-block to open dialogue between individuals, a hindrance to the collective sharing of ideas.

Nuff said.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Okay, Merriam Webster says:

1: characterized by pretension: as
    a : making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) <the pretentious fraud who assumes a love of culture that is alien to him — Richard Watts>
    b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature <pretentious language> <pretentious houses>

2: making demands on one's skill, ability, or means : ambitious <the pretentious daring of the Green Mountain Boys in crossing the lake — American Guide Series: Vermont>

The second definition is what people acting in a way described in the 1.a and 1.b think they are doing. Pretention, the way I understand the term, is all about striving to be what you are really not. The desire to be more artsy or more intellectual than you actually are in your heart of hearts. It is teenage poetry. It happens to great artists as well. I love Woody Allen, but when he tries to copy Bergman, he fails and comes across as pretentious. Then again, the attempt that miserably failed in the eyes of one person might be a success in the eyes of the next, so who's to say? But that's what I think it comes down to. You are pretentious when you aim at somethink you consider of high (intellectual or other) value and fail in the attempt without noticing and actually feel superior about it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

i don't think it's really a type thing. people just are pretentious over different stuff and show it in different ways.
    some people are super model attractive in comparison to others, maybe in a bar or some other setting will never glance over the same person twice or care to make eye contact. I dont think there is intelligence in being naturally that gorgeous, yet there is an air of pretentiousness.

it comes from being better in some aspect that others are not or having more of something. I agree with sky

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Start with human existence.

thinking of you

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

i don't think it's really a type thing. people just are pretentious over different stuff and show it in different ways.
    Yes.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by chris1207 View Post
    I think that being pretentious goes hand in hand with being pedantic. Acting like you have every nuance and detail figured out. And that's very Ti.

I've seen ESFJ's be pretentious jackasses, saying that what they believe is superior because it's what they and their families have believed forever and ever (which is Si justifying Fe by using Ti as a discerning mechanism.)

I've seen INTP's use it as a tool to push people away and then believe that they somehow are more objective for doing this. By pushing people away, using just Ti, they prevent people and their emotions from encroaching on their 'amazing' rationale. And they sit there and smirk from there perch. Only later do they realize that they're jackasses and that that's not what they really wanted and they hate themselves, quite secretly, for it.

Even if pretentiousness does pertain to intelligence it does intelligence a disservice. The ultimate goal of Ti is to gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision. Being pretentious is socially objectionable and thus a road-block to open dialogue between individuals, a hindrance to the collective sharing of ideas.

Nuff said.
    Fe can be just as pretentious as Ti, Fi, Te and any other function it's defiantly not limited to function and if you think so you're merely speaking out of subjective experience.

MBTI
    INTP

Pretentiousness is the belief that you have a superior opinion on matters.

Smile What do you want to tell me?

I love pretending which is unfortunate as I live in a country where the only sin you can commit is pretentiousness.

I must admit I do have a frisson of schadenfeude when I tell them, "I make things up", and see the shock on their face.

But of course they live in the quotidian literal world and making things up comes as a shock. I mean, where would it stop? What would happen is everyone made things up? "Don't you think you are letting the side down a bit?", they ask.

But I can't help myself. It's as though each door holds a secret and I can't help opening it. It's as though each object wants to tell me something and all I have to do is listen. And it as though each person is waiting to reveal their deepest self to themselves - and I can already hear the whispers.

So in the meantime I pretend in the face of dumb objects and dummies who have buried their deepest self so deep, they can't even hear its whispers for help.

So I make things up. I pretend. I am pretentious - the only sin you can commit in Oz. I pretend to hear secrets. I can almost hear the whisperings of your soul. What do you want to tell me?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

^^ I adore this post. I can't really explain why...

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, Victor.

If you are good at anything, it is seen as pretentiousness.
    A building, a garden, a fountain is pretentious if it is well done and a light for the eye.
    What is monotonous and boring, is homely and unpretentious.

Pretentiousness offends the eye and the mind of the garden variety.
    Never make sense, because if you do, you are pretentious.
    Intelligent women are pretentious. They are a threat to all the men in Stepford.
    So they have to be murdered. Robots are not pretentious.
    Beautiful women are pretentious, too. They are a threat to all the wives outside of Stepford.

There was a beautiful young woman. One day she looked at herself in the looking glass. It was then she knew.
    She confessed to an abbedissa, of course. The abbedissa damned her. She made her a warning example to all the other girls in her sermon.
    Pretentiousness is one of the seven deathly sins.
    There will be no pretentiousness in New Jerusalem.