User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INxx's, Intelligence, and Internet Use

Exhibit A:
    In this study (2000), it was stated that INxx are approx. 4% of the world population, but 26% of the internet users.

Exhibit B:
    Here, it is stated that INxx's account for 66% of the high IQ-population (top 2%), but only 6% of the total population. (actual source, the blogger 'lost')

A study from MENSA (1991, 1997) says that INxx's account for 5% of the population, but 40% of MENSA members.

These sources lead to an interesting correlation that I want to discuss...

1) INxx's are clearly score better on tests indicating intelligence than the general population.
    2) INxx's are clearly more active on the internet than the general population.

Thus, one can make a somewhat convincing argument and excellent correlation... Personality research suggests that smart people tend to gravitate towards the internet.

I personally came to this 'realization' a long long time ago... when I started having the internet give me the bulk of my actual education while I suffer through the drudgery that is my formal, socially recognizable education.

Does anyone have any other good studies or thoughts that could refute this idea? Or make it stronger? It seems pretty obvious but the world hasn't really caught up it seems.

I'd like to hear thoughts from this (obviously biased) INxx rich internet forum

PS, INxx's can't have everything... this study indicates that Emotional Intelligence scores are higher for those extroverts.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So a high percentage of Mensa is made up of INxx types.

But does the majority of INxx types have high IQs?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    1) INxx's are clearly score better on tests indicating intelligence than the general population.
    2) INxx's are clearly more active on the internet than the general population.

Thus, one can make a somewhat convincing argument, through personality research, that smart people tend to gravitate towards the internet.
    Are INxx's really more active on the internet than the gen. pop? How can you be so sure?

Edit: nvm

I personally came to this 'realization' a long long time ago... when I started having the internet give me the bulk of my actual education while I suffer through the drudgery that is my formal, socially recognizable education.
    Same here.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Better question. Why do people read into arbitrary tests and studies?

Sounds to me like an invitation to the IN__s to a circlejerk discussion.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Better question. Why do people read into arbitrary tests and studies?

Sounds to me like an invitation to the IN__s to a circlejerk discussion.
    lol.

i agree. even if there's a correlation, you can't apply anything to individuals.

maybe the bell curve is just wider with INxxs. who knows?

MBTI
    INFP

Ah, but wait! Facebook, Myspace, and Youtube only came around in ~ 2003... so.. I don't think that information gathered in the 2000 study is relevant anymore.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    So a high percentage of Mensa is made up of INxx types.

But does the majority of INxx types have high IQs?
    This blogger indicated there was a study that indicated:

INTJ's have a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent
    INTP's have a 20%
    INFJ's have a 15%
    INFP's have an 8%

Granted, I can't track down the source, but I've seen these numbers enough around the internet that I somewhat assume it's legit. The INTJ stat is gloated on INTJ Central.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Ah, but wait! Facebook, Myspace, and Youtube only came around in ~ 2003... so.. I don't think that information gathered in the 2000 study is relevant anymore.
    You're awesome! The Internet has become considerably dumbed down since 2000. Incidentally, 2003 seemed to be the time around when that 1337 nonsense got started up. In the late '90s, the Internet mostly consisted with people with a thirst for knowledge. Believe it or not, most people didn't even have computers back then, let alone Internet access. Ah, the days of dial-up -- at least we can be thankful that's over.

These days, most people seem to use the Internet to log onto chat rooms, where actual research on intellectual topics takes a back seat. I miss the days when Internet articles were actually written by intelligent people. Unfortunately, there is only a small pocket of those people left.

But in terms of MBTI vs. IQ, also consider that there are forms of abstract thinking that the IQ doesn't measure. IQ is specifically designed with abstract logic in mind, not abstract fancy. My mind is highly abstract, and I love the opportunity to think creatively, no matter how ridiculous, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm good at IQ tests.

This blogger indicated there was a study that indicated:

INTJ's have a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent
    INTP's have a 20%
    INFJ's have a 15%
    INFP's have an 8%

Granted, I can't track down the source, but I've seen these numbers enough around the internet that I somewhat assume it's legit. The INTJ stat is gloated on INTJ Central.
    Well, I think I'm in the Top 1 percent, but still...I'm sticking to Devil's Advocate, here!

EDIT: What about ENxx types? What probability do they have?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    lol.

i agree. even if there's a correlation, you can't apply anything to individuals.

maybe the bell curve is just wider with INxxs. who knows?
    Yes, the INxx's that are on the internet might not be the ones who are scoring highly. Totally possible. This is why I was wondering if anyone knew of any other studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    An interesting phenomenon I notice with the major tech and other information-centered websites...
    Once they get to a certain popularity, they start to loose appeal to their base users, due to the dummified content on the webpage. Some base users then start to search elsewhere for their knowledge... usually to a smaller website that promises the information stay pure and intelligent.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'll agree with that: They're some of the smartest stupid people I ever met.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft