• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INxx's, Intelligence, and Internet Use

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Exhibit A:
In this study (2000), it was stated that INxx are approx. 4% of the world population, but 26% of the internet users.

Exhibit B:
Here, it is stated that INxx's account for 66% of the high IQ-population (top 2%), but only 6% of the total population. (actual source, the blogger 'lost')

A study from MENSA (1991, 1997) says that INxx's account for 5% of the population, but 40% of MENSA members.

These sources lead to an interesting correlation that I want to discuss...

1) INxx's are clearly score better on tests indicating intelligence than the general population.
2) INxx's are clearly more active on the internet than the general population.

Thus, one can make a somewhat convincing argument and excellent correlation... Personality research suggests that smart people tend to gravitate towards the internet.

I personally came to this 'realization' a long long time ago... when I started having the internet give me the bulk of my actual education while I suffer through the drudgery that is my formal, socially recognizable education.

Does anyone have any other good studies or thoughts that could refute this idea? Or make it stronger? It seems pretty obvious but the world hasn't really caught up it seems.

I'd like to hear thoughts from this (obviously biased) INxx rich internet forum ;)

PS, INxx's can't have everything... this study indicates that Emotional Intelligence scores are higher for those extroverts.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So a high percentage of Mensa is made up of INxx types.

But does the majority of INxx types have high IQs?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
1) INxx's are clearly score better on tests indicating intelligence than the general population.

Thus, one can make a somewhat convincing argument, through personality research, that smart people tend to gravitate towards the internet.

Are INxx's really more active on the internet than the gen. pop? How can you be so sure?

Edit: :doh: nvm

I personally came to this 'realization' a long long time ago... when I started having the internet give me the bulk of my actual education while I suffer through the drudgery that is my formal, socially recognizable education.

Same here.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Better question. Why do people read into arbitrary tests and studies?

Sounds to me like an invitation to the IN__s to a circlejerk discussion.

redacted

Better question. Why do people read into arbitrary tests and studies?

Sounds to me like an invitation to the IN__s to a circlejerk discussion.

lol.

i agree. even if there's a correlation, you can't apply anything to individuals.

maybe the bell curve is just wider with INxxs. who knows?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, but wait! Facebook, Myspace, and Youtube only came around in ~ 2003... so.. I don't think that information gathered in the 2000 study is relevant anymore.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
So a high percentage of Mensa is made up of INxx types.

But does the majority of INxx types have high IQs?

This blogger indicated there was a study that indicated:

INTJ's have a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent
INTP's have a 20%
INFJ's have a 15%
INFP's have an 8%

Granted, I can't track down the source, but I've seen these numbers enough around the internet that I somewhat assume it's legit. The INTJ stat is gloated on INTJ Central.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, but wait! Facebook, Myspace, and Youtube only came around in ~ 2003... so.. I don't think that information gathered in the 2000 study is relevant anymore.

You're awesome! The Internet has become considerably dumbed down since 2000. Incidentally, 2003 seemed to be the time around when that 1337 nonsense got started up. In the late '90s, the Internet mostly consisted with people with a thirst for knowledge. Believe it or not, most people didn't even have computers back then, let alone Internet access. Ah, the days of dial-up -- at least we can be thankful that's over.

These days, most people seem to use the Internet to log onto chat rooms, where actual research on intellectual topics takes a back seat. I miss the days when Internet articles were actually written by intelligent people. Unfortunately, there is only a small pocket of those people left.

But in terms of MBTI vs. IQ, also consider that there are forms of abstract thinking that the IQ doesn't measure. IQ is specifically designed with abstract logic in mind, not abstract fancy. My mind is highly abstract, and I love the opportunity to think creatively, no matter how ridiculous, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm good at IQ tests.

This blogger indicated there was a study that indicated:

INTJ's have a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent
INTP's have a 20%
INFJ's have a 15%
INFP's have an 8%

Granted, I can't track down the source, but I've seen these numbers enough around the internet that I somewhat assume it's legit. The INTJ stat is gloated on INTJ Central.

Well, I think I'm in the Top 1 percent, but still...I'm sticking to Devil's Advocate, here! :)

EDIT: What about ENxx types? What probability do they have?

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
lol.

i agree. even if there's a correlation, you can't apply anything to individuals.

maybe the bell curve is just wider with INxxs. who knows?

Yes, the INxx's that are on the internet might not be the ones who are scoring highly. Totally possible. This is why I was wondering if anyone knew of any other studies.

An interesting phenomenon I notice with the major tech and other information-centered websites...
Once they get to a certain popularity, they start to loose appeal to their base users, due to the dummified content on the webpage. Some base users then start to search elsewhere for their knowledge... usually to a smaller website that promises the information stay pure and intelligent.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'll agree with that: They're some of the smartest stupid people I ever met.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Exhibit A:
In this study (2000), it was stated that INxx are approx. 4% of the world population, but 26% of the internet users.

Exhibit B:
Here, it is stated that INxx's account for 66% of the high IQ-population (top 2%), but only 6% of the total population. (actual source, the blogger 'lost')

A study from MENSA (1991, 1997) says that INxx's account for 5% of the population, but 40% of MENSA members.

These sources lead to an interesting correlation that I want to discuss...

Thus, one can make a somewhat convincing argument and excellent correlation... Personality research suggests that smart people tend to gravitate towards the internet.
Hi. :hi:

I don't understand what use this information serves. What would you do with it?

Even if the premise is true, "the smart people" are not in the majority, since, according to your information, 74% of the people who use the internet are not INxx types.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi. :hi:

I don't understand what use this information serves. What would you do with it?

Even if the premise is true, "the smart people" are not in the majority, since, according to your information, 74% of the people who use the internet are not INxx types.

Well, I doubt the premise is totally true now, but it could have been in 2000.

Cmon... imagine if 1/4 of the real world were INxx. Things would undoubtedly be a bit different. It would be an entirely different culture.

No doubt it would create a totally different dynamic of social interaction on the internet if it held truth (on top of the obvious anonymity). This, of course, wouldn't be easily recognized to the users... due to the many other variables of what it's like to use the internet.

If you're asking for a practical purpose, then you have no answer out of me. I don't check for method behind the madness. I just rather think it's interesting that such a huge variable would be present without much recognition. Who knows, maybe an Ni can mow through and think of a possible practical use for this seemingly significant social dynamic, but I don't really care.

EDIT (8:28pm 2-23-08):

EDIT: What about ENxx types? What probability do they have?

The source claims:

I 8x more likely than E
N 27x more likely than S
T 2.5x more likely than F
J 2x more likely than P

**Honestly 'intelligence' in the conventional sense isn't really that important of a characteristic that I'm trying to pinpoint. Every type has their own niche in the world or they wouldn't exist. You could say the type of intelligence that would be scored on an IQ test is what's of interest.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I might be able to be convinced that INs have something that IQ meshes with reasonably well, but I would definitely argue that IQ is not a measure of intelligence.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I doubt the premise is totally true now, but it could have been in 2000.

Cmon... imagine if 1/4 of the real world were INxx. Things would undoubtedly be a bit different. It would be an entirely different culture.

No doubt it would create a totally different dynamic of social interaction on the internet if it held truth (on top of the obvious anonymity). This, of course, wouldn't be easily recognized to the users... due to the many other variables of what it's like to use the internet.

If you're asking for a practical purpose, then you have no answer out of me. I don't check for method behind the madness. I just rather think it's interesting that such a huge variable would be present without much recognition. Who knows, maybe an Ni can mow through and think of a possible practical use for this seemingly significant social dynamic, but I don't really care.
I don't know. I don't want to be a nay-sayer but I don't see what conclusions you can draw from that tidbit of information.

I don't know what kind of social interaction the internet provides besides forums. And forums aren't the only use of the internet. I used to NEVER use forums until last year, and I've been using the internet since before there even WAS an AOL! :D

This must be one of those Ti things that I don't usually understand very well. Sorry.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Did anyone count the procentages of the personality types in MBTIc?

R

RDF

Concerning the OP and the use of Mensa and the Internet to derive data about intelligence and personality type:

Almost certainly, Mensa doesn't represent the overall genius-level population. Only a few percent of the total number of geniuses of any given country are Mensa members, and the membership is heavily weighted toward Introverts and has a relatively strong representation of NTs. This is because Mensa bills itself as kind of an Odd Fellows Club--a place where intelligent people can come and socialize if they don't fit in anywhere else due to excess intellect or poor social skills. So it's kind of a geek haven. By comparison, genius-level Extraverts, successful people, and people with good social skills tend not to join Mensa at high rates. In their case, why bother taking a test and paying annual dues just to socialize with a bunch of geeks when they have the skills or access to socialize elsewhere for free?

Though it does contain people of every type, Mensa draws NTs and Introverts in particular (and a good number of NFs as well), so those latter types are probably over-represented. Again, Mensa isn't a true cross-section or representation of the overall genius population.

The same argument can probably made for the Internet, especially back in 2000 (at the time of the survey). Introverts and NTs would have been over-represented on the Internet at that time.

These considerations don't necessarily explain all the differentials mentioned in the OP. But I wouldn't put much faith in the idea that Mensa or the Internet were a fair representation of the overall intelligent population, especially back eight years ago.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Concerning the OP and the use of Mensa and the Internet to derive data about intelligence and personality type:

Almost certainly, Mensa doesn't represent the overall genius-level population. Only a few percent of the total number of geniuses of any given country are Mensa members, and the membership is heavily weighted toward Introverts and has a relatively strong representation of NTs. This is because Mensa bills itself as kind of an Odd Fellows Club--a place where intelligent people can come and socialize if they don't fit in anywhere else due to excess intellect or poor social skills. So it's kind of a geek haven. By comparison, genius-level Extraverts, successful people, and people with good social skills tend not to join Mensa at high rates. In their case, why bother taking a test and paying annual dues just to socialize with a bunch of geeks when they have the skills or access to socialize elsewhere for free?

Though it does contain people of every type, Mensa draws NTs and Introverts in particular (and a good number of NFs as well), so those latter types are probably over-represented. Again, Mensa isn't a true cross-section or representation of the overall genius population.

The same argument can probably made for the Internet, especially back in 2000 (at the time of the survey). Introverts and NTs would have been over-represented on the Internet at that time.

These considerations don't necessarily explain all the differentials mentioned in the OP. But I wouldn't put much faith in the idea that Mensa or the Internet were a fair representation of the overall intelligent population, especially back eight years ago.

Wow excellent point! This could easily be a very powerful overlooked variable.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I meant the people at INTJForums, Uber, who would brag about how smart they are compared to everyone else... not you. (At least, not explicitly. :whistling:)