Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'll agree with that: They're some of the smartest stupid people I ever met.
    HEY!!!!!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    Exhibit A:
    In this study (2000), it was stated that INxx are approx. 4% of the world population, but 26% of the internet users.

Exhibit B:
    Here, it is stated that INxx's account for 66% of the high IQ-population (top 2%), but only 6% of the total population. (actual source, the blogger 'lost')

A study from MENSA (1991, 1997) says that INxx's account for 5% of the population, but 40% of MENSA members.

These sources lead to an interesting correlation that I want to discuss...

1) INxx's are clearly score better on tests indicating intelligence than the general population.
    2) INxx's are clearly more active on the internet than the general population.

Thus, one can make a somewhat convincing argument and excellent correlation... Personality research suggests that smart people tend to gravitate towards the internet.
    Hi.

I don't understand what use this information serves. What would you do with it?

Even if the premise is true, "the smart people" are not in the majority, since, according to your information, 74% of the people who use the internet are not INxx types.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'll agree with that: They're some of the smartest stupid people I ever met.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Hi.

I don't understand what use this information serves. What would you do with it?

Even if the premise is true, "the smart people" are not in the majority, since, according to your information, 74% of the people who use the internet are not INxx types.
    Well, I doubt the premise is totally true now, but it could have been in 2000.

Cmon... imagine if 1/4 of the real world were INxx. Things would undoubtedly be a bit different. It would be an entirely different culture.

No doubt it would create a totally different dynamic of social interaction on the internet if it held truth (on top of the obvious anonymity). This, of course, wouldn't be easily recognized to the users... due to the many other variables of what it's like to use the internet.

If you're asking for a practical purpose, then you have no answer out of me. I don't check for method behind the madness. I just rather think it's interesting that such a huge variable would be present without much recognition. Who knows, maybe an Ni can mow through and think of a possible practical use for this seemingly significant social dynamic, but I don't really care.

EDIT (8:28pm 2-23-08):

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    EDIT: What about ENxx types? What probability do they have?
    The source claims:

I 8x more likely than E
    N 27x more likely than S
    T 2.5x more likely than F
    J 2x more likely than P

**Honestly 'intelligence' in the conventional sense isn't really that important of a characteristic that I'm trying to pinpoint. Every type has their own niche in the world or they wouldn't exist. You could say the type of intelligence that would be scored on an IQ test is what's of interest.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I might be able to be convinced that INs have something that IQ meshes with reasonably well, but I would definitely argue that IQ is not a measure of intelligence.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    Well, I doubt the premise is totally true now, but it could have been in 2000.

Cmon... imagine if 1/4 of the real world were INxx. Things would undoubtedly be a bit different. It would be an entirely different culture.

No doubt it would create a totally different dynamic of social interaction on the internet if it held truth (on top of the obvious anonymity). This, of course, wouldn't be easily recognized to the users... due to the many other variables of what it's like to use the internet.

If you're asking for a practical purpose, then you have no answer out of me. I don't check for method behind the madness. I just rather think it's interesting that such a huge variable would be present without much recognition. Who knows, maybe an Ni can mow through and think of a possible practical use for this seemingly significant social dynamic, but I don't really care.
    I don't know. I don't want to be a nay-sayer but I don't see what conclusions you can draw from that tidbit of information.

I don't know what kind of social interaction the internet provides besides forums. And forums aren't the only use of the internet. I used to NEVER use forums until last year, and I've been using the internet since before there even WAS an AOL!

This must be one of those Ti things that I don't usually understand very well. Sorry.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Did anyone count the procentages of the personality types in MBTIc?

RDF

Concerning the OP and the use of Mensa and the Internet to derive data about intelligence and personality type:

Almost certainly, Mensa doesn't represent the overall genius-level population. Only a few percent of the total number of geniuses of any given country are Mensa members, and the membership is heavily weighted toward Introverts and has a relatively strong representation of NTs. This is because Mensa bills itself as kind of an Odd Fellows Club--a place where intelligent people can come and socialize if they don't fit in anywhere else due to excess intellect or poor social skills. So it's kind of a geek haven. By comparison, genius-level Extraverts, successful people, and people with good social skills tend not to join Mensa at high rates. In their case, why bother taking a test and paying annual dues just to socialize with a bunch of geeks when they have the skills or access to socialize elsewhere for free?

Though it does contain people of every type, Mensa draws NTs and Introverts in particular (and a good number of NFs as well), so those latter types are probably over-represented. Again, Mensa isn't a true cross-section or representation of the overall genius population.

The same argument can probably made for the Internet, especially back in 2000 (at the time of the survey). Introverts and NTs would have been over-represented on the Internet at that time.

These considerations don't necessarily explain all the differentials mentioned in the OP. But I wouldn't put much faith in the idea that Mensa or the Internet were a fair representation of the overall intelligent population, especially back eight years ago.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Concerning the OP and the use of Mensa and the Internet to derive data about intelligence and personality type:

Almost certainly, Mensa doesn't represent the overall genius-level population. Only a few percent of the total number of geniuses of any given country are Mensa members, and the membership is heavily weighted toward Introverts and has a relatively strong representation of NTs. This is because Mensa bills itself as kind of an Odd Fellows Club--a place where intelligent people can come and socialize if they don't fit in anywhere else due to excess intellect or poor social skills. So it's kind of a geek haven. By comparison, genius-level Extraverts, successful people, and people with good social skills tend not to join Mensa at high rates. In their case, why bother taking a test and paying annual dues just to socialize with a bunch of geeks when they have the skills or access to socialize elsewhere for free?

Though it does contain people of every type, Mensa draws NTs and Introverts in particular (and a good number of NFs as well), so those latter types are probably over-represented. Again, Mensa isn't a true cross-section or representation of the overall genius population.

The same argument can probably made for the Internet, especially back in 2000 (at the time of the survey). Introverts and NTs would have been over-represented on the Internet at that time.

These considerations don't necessarily explain all the differentials mentioned in the OP. But I wouldn't put much faith in the idea that Mensa or the Internet were a fair representation of the overall intelligent population, especially back eight years ago.
    Wow excellent point! This could easily be a very powerful overlooked variable.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    HEY!!!!!
    I meant the people at INTJForums, Uber, who would brag about how smart they are compared to everyone else... not you. (At least, not explicitly. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft