User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Permabanned

I'm good with small talk (either that or I don't know what it is). I ask random questions like
    me: "Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of guys here that are eating by themselves?"
    Him: "No"
    me: "Well.. look around. In fact there seems to be only guys here. Most of the people here are guys."
    Him: "Haha..that's because girls travel in packs. So either there is a big group of them or not"
    me: "Ah..I see. Because we're the hunters. They travel in packs to protect themselves."
    Him: "Like hyenas"

^Conversation I had today.

Also, if someone zones out I'll ask them what they were thinking about. I'm actually pretty aggressive when it comes to that. Answers like "Nothing" get rejected...

But yeah, when it comes to people I always have many questions about them. I just learnt to actually ask these questions instead of trying to answer them myself. This has led to many of surprises. It's definitely something I learnt though.

But, I might not be N. I'm fairly certain I'm ixtp though.

ReflecTcelfeR

^ That I think is a big issue. Intuition might try to assume answers.

Permabanned

^ elaborate?
    I'll speculate about what the possible reasons are for something like the above to be true...I never reach a conclusion though (which drives me nuts sometimes)..but if there is someone else around I'll let them do the speculating for me because;
    1) they sometimes think of things I'd never think of
    2) some people seem to actually enjoy it
    3) I have no idea what else to say to them

(haha, I realized I'm doing it now as well. I could think of why this is true myself, but since you're here I'll let you do the speculating for me..you might surprise me.)

ReflecTcelfeR

When I think in my head I play out conversations with people that I wish to talk to. Whether it's an argument, a resentment I hold, or just a check up on how your day was going. Whenever I do that I try to speculate on how they usually answer and how their current day is going and so I think they might respond with something similiar to what they usually say, or a SSDD. In which case I don't inquire at all. It's like I believe that what I thought was correct, this is also my biggest flaw, one I'm now working on fixing. My N-ness can be all too presumptuous when acting along side with my T-ness. I immediately cut down the amount of possibilities I have to one. Admittedly sometimes I'm right, but I imagine I'm mostly wrong so I'm trying my best to inquire upon other peoples experiences. I don't think I'm all that unique in that respect. I'm too cocky.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My ESFJ ex loves small talk. People will stop this man at random and just start chatting with him--it's crazy. And he'll egg 'em on with questions, "Oh really? So how did things go with the dinner?" Gah!

He would (and still does) come home and tell me about so-and-so at the job or this one called him and said "X, Y, and Z". I'm thinking to myself, "And I want to know this because of?" I'm sure he equally hates my style, too. He asked me one question about the evolution of the English language and he received a half hour lecture and a picture diagram.

I stink at it. Most of my so-called small talk usually ends up sabotaged by my inappropriate humor...I have a bad time with that. I try to keep my mouth shut in public but I swear that damn Ne....

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My ESFJ ex hates what he calls "the stop and chat" but he can talk and talk away with co-workers, knows the gossip, and I remember having a serious talk with him about NEVAR NEVAR waking me up in the morning to tell me that J-Lo and Ben Affleck had broken up again. I swear to god he did that once.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I have no idea why people associate it with Sensors, because in my opinion it's totally Fe. My parents are both Fe types (i.e. INTP and INFJ) and they tried to indirectly teach me Fe and it sort of worked? But still, for most of my childhood it would be like

Me: So I talked to my friend today, for the first time in a while.
    Dad: Did you ask *insert small talk thing here*?
    Me: :confused: No...? Why would I ask that?? It didn't even cross my mind.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Oh, man. Check, please! I would feel so put on the spot. I think you have to feel people out for what their actual interests are. If I were stuck at a table with someone I didn't know, and they were pumping me for opinions on controversial subjects or mining me for personal information, I would want to leave as soon as possible. I tend to look for clues as to the person's actual interests. Are they carrying a book or magazine? What are they wearing? What are they talking to others about? Sometimes small talk is the bridge to get to the actual areas of interest.
    Details, details. Why are there details. Which is why it seems I throw people especially when I talk to councilors, I seem so engaging and full of life. Yeah because its not small talk. Then I go out there and talk to people and I am so disengaged and bored though. It doesn't occur for me to say oh what books do you read, what movie did you see, what car do you drive, sounds lame. Unless I have to think about it and by then the other person gets bored and wonders why I am I silent and then its awkward and then I don't say anything. Its much easier for me to say oh hay you know the deep stuff except I consider that light conversation sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    knows the gossip, and I remember having a serious talk with him about NEVAR NEVAR waking me up in the morning to tell me that J-Lo and Ben Affleck had broken up again. I swear to god he did that once.
    This. Don't even dare make J-Lo and Ben Affleck's break-up to be some big news because I don't care. Honestly, I would yell at anybody who woke me up just for that or anything similar. lol

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Me: So I talked to my friend today, for the first time in a while.
    Dad: Did you ask *insert small talk thing here*?
    Me: :confused: No...? Why would I ask that?? It didn't even cross my mind.
    This is totally me and my mom (ENFJ)! But add after that:
    Mom: Because you should show interest in other people!
    Me: (thinking) ??? So I have to fake interest? What if the other doesn't want to smalltalk either???

And my Fe isn't that bad either...

(Edit: don't worry, I love my mom and we are good friends; but there are of course differences between us )
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women