• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament and money habits in practice...

What is your type and how good are you at managing money?

• I'm an NT and poor at managing money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an SJ and poor at managing money.

• I'm an SP and poor at managing money.

• Total voters

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Okay, I've decided to take a practical approach with this next question. I'm using the polls to determine how people of each temperament are with handling money.

Please vote and then post, stating why you voted for your category.

The stereotypes say:
  • The NTs are the strategists -- they make long-range financial plans.
  • The NFs are the identity seekers -- their spending habits revolve around whether their purchases are meaningful.
  • The SJs are the spendthrifts -- saving money and spending it only on practical things.
  • The SPs are the frivolous spenders -- blowing their paychecks on clothes, jewelry, a new car, and things that look nice.
Now let's put these stereotypes to the test.
I LOVE this poll question and the different choices!
I can't wait to see the results after many people have posted!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
By the way, congratulations on your Oscar!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Uber you're on a roll with the temperament questions all over the forum. What's up? Share your new found knowledge on the topic, unless you are actually inquiring based on Keirsey's work. Then nevermind.

Last edited:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Compared to my dad, who tracks every dime that leaves his pocket or checking account I am not great at managing my money as I do not track my expenditures. That being said I carefully scrutinize large purchases. For example I spent three months researching computers before I bought my new one.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm pretty good at spending my money wisely, though I still spend enough to enjoy life. :) From the results so far it seems like most people consider themselves good with money, so maybe the question is too vague or people have an inflated view of themselves (or we're all brilliant, of course :D).

I find that tracking how much I spend each month (in rough categories) is both interesting and helpful, although I use it as a record rather than a guide.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uber you're on a role with the temperament questions all over the forum. What's up? Share your new found knowledge on the topic, unless you are actually inquiring based on Keirsey's work. Then nevermind.

Well, it has become obvious that the more cautious spenders are T types, thus far, more specifically, IxTx types. The majority of financial savers are NTs, though since most of the forum members are NTs, I guess that doesn't mean much. Overall, the best correlation I can come up with revolves around savers are T types, but not enough Fs are voting.

Perhaps I should ask at how risky certain people are with money, because it's certainly possible that certain types may take financial risks but come out of them with much loss. I'm thinking that such people would vote that they are good at managing money, but not necessarily cautious.

And, of course, Randomnity is right in that certain people probably have inflated egos and voted according to that.

LucrativeSid

I'm not stingy, but I'm not reckless, either. I would have to say that I'm good with money because I do what I want with it. Needs, desires, and priorities change and so do my money habits as I adapt. When I was 11, I used to put 20 dollar bills in my piggy bank. When I got my first job, I used to save up 3 bi-weekly checks before I'd even take them to the bank. Like I said before, I'm not stingy and I'd rather have what I want and need than pull every little trick to save a penny, but I'm certainly not reckless. Anybody who has the ability to make conscious decisions could be good with money, if they wanted to be. Most people just don't care or just don't try.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Dad trained my brother and I well, in terms of managing money. His formula was simple: Keep track of what you spend, don't spend more than you make, and above all, always pay your credit card bills in full each month, no matter what, and never go into ccard debt.

With my first 'real' job out of college when I was living on my own and paying for everything, I was only making $10/hr and it was *critical* that I watched every penny that I spent -- and it became quite clear to me how fast the little things added up. With that first job, I really couldn't afford to do much 'fun' stuff, so socially I felt pretty lame because I'd decline going out to eat with friends sometimes, etc. My friends were pretty understanding though. My income was pretty much depleted just by paying for my basic needs - so I wasn't really able to save anything at that time.

Gradually my salary has increased, but really my spending habits haven't changed (erm..except for maybe being able to go on more than one trip a year)...I still bring lunch to work every day and I only eat out once or twice a month, typically. Basically, the salary raise just means I have less anxiety because I'm NOT having to pinch pennies as carefully, so I have the luxury of going out more and not worrying that by doing so I might go over-budget for the month...and I love it that I can start putting money into savings.

I still keep track of everything I spend, to the penny. :) I kinda like the habit, because I know where everything's going, and it allows me to adjust my budget from one month to the next, depending on what's coming up.

And, I prioritize. Travel is one of my number one priorities, so most of my 'fun' money that I don't save goes towards that. I tend to buy experiences, not things (although like anyone, I do buy, and like, some 'stuff':) ). I never spend as much as I make, I have no debt, and what I don't spend goes into savings.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I try to be careful and I'm not out blowing massive amounts of money on luxuries or maxing out credit cards, but I can be impulsive when I see a good clearance sale and I tend to be spacey and forget details such as bills. I can't think of money as something finite and concrete and, unfortunately, it very much is.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
My parents didn't teach me anything about managing money (they have no clue, themselves). I had to teach myself everything, and I learned the hard way. But I'm in MUCH better financial shape than I was several years ago.

The stereotypes say:
  • The NTs are the strategists -- they make long-range financial plans.
  • The NFs are the identity seekers -- their spending habits revolve around whether their purchases are meaningful.
  • The SJs are the spendthrifts -- saving money and spending it only on practical things.
  • The SPs are the frivolous spenders -- blowing their paychecks on clothes, jewelry, a new car, and things that look nice.
Now let's put these stereotypes to the test.
I know MANY SJs who have blown their money on frivolous things in an effort to maintain their social status.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it was Economica(?) that described my spending patterns best. I spend based on how much I think I'm going to make...rather than how much I am actually making now. But I still am a very long range thinker and I'm already planning accordingly.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Well, it has become obvious that the more cautious spenders are T types, thus far, more specifically, IxTx types. The majority of financial savers are NTs, though since most of the forum members are NTs, I guess that doesn't mean much. Overall, the best correlation I can come up with revolves around savers are T types, but not enough Fs are voting.

Perhaps I should ask at how risky certain people are with money, because it's certainly possible that certain types may take financial risks but come out of them with much loss. I'm thinking that such people would vote that they are good at managing money, but not necessarily cautious.

And, of course, Randomnity is right in that certain people probably have inflated egos and voted according to that.

Overall I am fiscally conservative. I have a 401k and a savings account but I am very hesitate to put any of my money into stocks. I admit it has been tempting at times but I could never justify the risk. Plus it's partially a control issue. With the stock market there's too much uncertainty and far too many things effect it that are beyond my control.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I think it was Economica(?) that described my spending patterns best. I spend based on how much I think I'm going to make...rather than how much I am actually making now. But I still am a very long range thinker and I'm already planning accordingly.

With big purchases I will project out to see if and when I can afford whatever it is that I want to purchase. But overall I don't track my money.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm so-so at managing money, in that I'm not in financial trouble, but that I don't spend one tiny iota more effort than absolutely necessary dealing with money. I just detest dealing with it. My "management" fits more along the lines of "hmm, the last time I got cash from an ATM, it said that I have X dollars in the account, I must be doing okay/need to cut back and save more for a few months."

My consideration with money is awful - I don't read bank statements / balance my checkbook / move any extra I've managed to save into a higher-interest bearing account, etc. But on the other hand, I do save for retirement through auto-debit from my paycheck and pay off my credit card (have only one) each month, and put a little extra in my mortgage payments when I can.

I tend to compare myself to my family - all strong SJ, uber-responsible people for whom money management is a way of life, so I look downright shameful in comparison. Lucky for me I'm cheap, stay at home most of the time, and don't buy much. Cheap and lazy... I paint a flattering picture, do I not? :D

:run:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I tend to compare myself to my family - all strong SJ, uber-responsible people for whom money management is a way of life, so I look downright shameful in comparison. Lucky for me I'm cheap, stay at home most of the time, and don't buy much. Cheap and lazy... I paint a flattering picture, do I not? :D

Precisley. Although my dad's probably an NTJ he is excellent at managing his finances. So although I have a decent grasp of the state of my money, compared to him I am a financial disaster.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Maybe I'm SP because I spend money like water. I don't keep track of it and my impulse and hedonist buys add up quick. I don't necessarily go for trendy or brand name items, but I want what I want. Right now. Very badly.

believe money has value only as much how you spend it. Billionaires who hoard money amongst themselves restrict the free flow of economy and perpetuate class inequality. Ever hear the Aesop's fable about the miser who lived like a beggar and buried his gold every day? One day it was stolen and a passer by gave him a rock and said that's essentially what his gold was since he never used it.

Plus, I like enjoying life.

At the same time, I'm a cheap bastard, somewhat of a hoarder, and I like to get a deal, though I'm moving away from this as I get older. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and I'd rather pay full price for something truly lovely and that I'll use for a long time than 10 similar items of lower-quality.

My ISTJ friend is really good with her money. Her tastes are very utiliatarian. When we lived together she wanted to get the cheapest/most practical things and I wanted to spend some extra money to make things look nice. Her splurges go mostly to experiential things like travel.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

Hey, whatever works, but by that light, I probably should have voted NF/poor. I was raised by a dysfunctional ESFP so if I'm not practically in jail for check fraud I feel like I'm not doing too bad. :peepwall:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Maybe I'm SP because I spend money like water. I don't keep track of it and my impulse and hedonist buys add up quick. I don't necessarily go for trendy or brand name items, but I want what I want. Right now. Very badly.

believe money has value only as much how you spend it. Billionaires who hoard money amongst themselves restrict the free flow of economy and perpetuate class inequality. Ever hear the Aesop's fable about the miser who lived like a beggar and buried his gold every day? One day it was stolen and a passer by gave him a rock and said that's essentially what his gold was since he never used it.

Plus, I like enjoying life.

At the same time, I'm a cheap bastard, somewhat of a hoarder, and I like to get a deal, though I'm moving away from this as I get older. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and I'd rather pay full price for something truly lovely and that I'll use for a long time than 10 similar items of lower-quality.

My ISTJ friend is really good with her money. Her tastes are very utiliatarian. When we lived together she wanted to get the cheapest/most practical things and I wanted to spend some extra money to make things look nice. Her splurges go mostly to experiential things like travel.

My best friend who is probably an ESTP, spends money like it's going out of style. He has owned more new cars in the past few years than I will ever own. Not to mention the clothes, sneakers, watches,etc.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I voted so-so because I used to be horrible at saving money. I used to spend all that I made, though all my bills were paid first. I would pay my bills as soon as they arrived.

The only time I can save money is when I have a specific use or purpose for it.

I am excellent at writing down a spending plan (budget).
I am excellent at tightening the belt, and living on very little if I have to.
My husband has been unemployed a couple of times, and this ability has come in very handy.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So as far as I'm able to see, there is no correlation between type, temperament, and money management...