• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament and money habits in practice...

What is your type and how good are you at managing money?

• I'm an NT and poor at managing money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an SJ and poor at managing money.

• I'm an SP and poor at managing money.

• Total voters

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I've decided to take a practical approach with this next question. I'm using the polls to determine how people of each temperament are with handling money.

Please vote and then post, stating why you voted for your category.

The stereotypes say:
  • The NTs are the strategists -- they make long-range financial plans.
  • The NFs are the identity seekers -- their spending habits revolve around whether their purchases are meaningful.
  • The SJs are the spendthrifts -- saving money and spending it only on practical things.
  • The SPs are the frivolous spenders -- blowing their paychecks on clothes, jewelry, a new car, and things that look nice.
Now let's put these stereotypes to the test.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think I fit the "strategist" but find the descriptions lacking. I will spend freely on not only practical things but luxuries, as well as, meaningless items also but only if I'm certain doing so won't cause any financial problems.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, we'll start with me.

I'm very shrewd. I do not like spending money. I have buyer's remorse before spending. And I also look at long-term outcomes before spending it. I always question if this is stuff I really should get or if it's going to become obsolete in a week. If I get money for Xmas or my birthday, you can be sure that I plan on saving it for the future, for some expensive toy that I've been planning on getting for months.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I fit the "strategist" but find the descriptions lacking. I will spend freely on not only practical things but luxuries, as well as, meaningless items also but only if I'm certain doing so won't cause any financial problems.

Well, I had to limit myself because there is only room for 20 options. I know I could have put more in, but I didn't think any further options would make much of a difference. I'd vote for the "I'm an NT and good at managing money" category, because based on what you wrote, you seem to look at long-term consequences.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh :doh: I'm sorry... still getting the hang of this. I only read your post... you can whip me if you want.:blush:

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
I only spend things I need to get things done. I'm very tight with my money. It basically goes toward food and computer parts. I always have some spare cash just in case, which I guess is a sign of being good with my money.

However, this should be taken with a grain of salt. I still live with my parents. I am not entirely independent.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I suppose I'm good at managing money, at least, for a sixteen year old. I obviously do not have to worry about having enough money, as I don't have to worry about paying rent, for food, and other random things.

However, that being said, I have a fair amount of money for a teen. I have had a job for two summers, and I have yet to touch the money from that, or from my Bat Mitzvah a few years ago. I'll need it when I travel though. ^.^ I tend to spend money from holiday and birthday gifts, but even that has yet to run out, as when I find something I want to buy, I try to decide if I really want it, and promptly decide it's unnecessary. I might be in more trouble if I had to buy food though, as I usually do decide that good food is worth the cost. (clothes and tchotchkes never are).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of the SJs that I know are the Joneses with whom(ses) I have so much difficulty keeping up.

I'm having trouble what you mean by this...

I'm actually very stingy, but I don't think I'm the only NT that is! ;)

Although I am thinking that thriftiness has to do with IxTx, at least that's how the results seem to be playing out.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
To the extent that an SJ will spend money on practical items I can clearly identify with this. I will agonize over a purchase that is for my own pleasure or indulgence for literally hours and then if I actually make the purchase I feel very conflicted...So actual enjoyment of the indulgence is sometimes diminished.

Though to be truthful when purchasing the practical (groceries) I am still comparing the relative price per ounce while also integrating the quality of ingredients to achieve the best bargain for the money that I spend...but it is not agony, just being thorough. I feel in control of this...and it is a "justified" expense....I will not purchase cheap groceries just to save a buck...I will splurge on quality foods and not feel a trace of guilt.

However I voted "so-so" for an SJ because my ability to make and retain my income (as an independent artisan) is very challenging and perhaps my business sense or education is sorely lacking.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like we have a lot of millionaires here...

Not me. I just make a conscious effort to either not educate myself about the new stuff on the market or to question if the select object is something that I actually want...

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I usually think, "Oh, I can't buy that, I'm saving for a new guitar"

As I'm checking out I complain to whoever's there about how the money must be falling out of my pockets.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can spend money like there's no tommorrow- but I scrape together enough at the last minute to pay for necissary things, like food, dog food and the internet and entertainment and such ;)

I wouldn't say I'm good with money- that would be a lie- I'm not on the streets though :)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i seriously suck at managing money. I'm too impulsive with it. I just want to spend every penny i have, and i don't want it to be on stupid bills. =(