User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your type and how good are you at managing money?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an NF and good at managing money.

6 14.63%
  • I'm an NF and so-so at managing money.

7 17.07%
  • I'm an NF and poor at managing money.

3 7.32%
  • I'm an NT and good at managing money.

11 26.83%
  • I'm an NT and so-so at managing money.

6 14.63%
  • I'm an NT and poor at managing money.

0 0%
  • I'm an SJ and good at managing money.

1 2.44%
  • I'm an SJ and so-so at managing money.

1 2.44%
  • I'm an SJ and poor at managing money.

0 0%
  • I'm an SP and good at managing money.

3 7.32%
  • I'm an SP and so-so at managing money.

3 7.32%
  • I'm an SP and poor at managing money.

0 0%
First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I think it was Economica(?) that described my spending patterns best. I spend based on how much I think I'm going to make...rather than how much I am actually making now. But I still am a very long range thinker and I'm already planning accordingly.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, it has become obvious that the more cautious spenders are T types, thus far, more specifically, IxTx types. The majority of financial savers are NTs, though since most of the forum members are NTs, I guess that doesn't mean much. Overall, the best correlation I can come up with revolves around savers are T types, but not enough Fs are voting.

Perhaps I should ask at how risky certain people are with money, because it's certainly possible that certain types may take financial risks but come out of them with much loss. I'm thinking that such people would vote that they are good at managing money, but not necessarily cautious.

And, of course, Randomnity is right in that certain people probably have inflated egos and voted according to that.
    Overall I am fiscally conservative. I have a 401k and a savings account but I am very hesitate to put any of my money into stocks. I admit it has been tempting at times but I could never justify the risk. Plus it's partially a control issue. With the stock market there's too much uncertainty and far too many things effect it that are beyond my control.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I think it was Economica(?) that described my spending patterns best. I spend based on how much I think I'm going to make...rather than how much I am actually making now. But I still am a very long range thinker and I'm already planning accordingly.
    With big purchases I will project out to see if and when I can afford whatever it is that I want to purchase. But overall I don't track my money.

MBTI
    INtP

I'm so-so at managing money, in that I'm not in financial trouble, but that I don't spend one tiny iota more effort than absolutely necessary dealing with money. I just detest dealing with it. My "management" fits more along the lines of "hmm, the last time I got cash from an ATM, it said that I have X dollars in the account, I must be doing okay/need to cut back and save more for a few months."

My consideration with money is awful - I don't read bank statements / balance my checkbook / move any extra I've managed to save into a higher-interest bearing account, etc. But on the other hand, I do save for retirement through auto-debit from my paycheck and pay off my credit card (have only one) each month, and put a little extra in my mortgage payments when I can.

I tend to compare myself to my family - all strong SJ, uber-responsible people for whom money management is a way of life, so I look downright shameful in comparison. Lucky for me I'm cheap, stay at home most of the time, and don't buy much. Cheap and lazy... I paint a flattering picture, do I not?

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I tend to compare myself to my family - all strong SJ, uber-responsible people for whom money management is a way of life, so I look downright shameful in comparison. Lucky for me I'm cheap, stay at home most of the time, and don't buy much. Cheap and lazy... I paint a flattering picture, do I not?

Precisley. Although my dad's probably an NTJ he is excellent at managing his finances. So although I have a decent grasp of the state of my money, compared to him I am a financial disaster.

MBTI
    GONE

Maybe I'm SP because I spend money like water. I don't keep track of it and my impulse and hedonist buys add up quick. I don't necessarily go for trendy or brand name items, but I want what I want. Right now. Very badly.

believe money has value only as much how you spend it. Billionaires who hoard money amongst themselves restrict the free flow of economy and perpetuate class inequality. Ever hear the Aesop's fable about the miser who lived like a beggar and buried his gold every day? One day it was stolen and a passer by gave him a rock and said that's essentially what his gold was since he never used it.

Plus, I like enjoying life.

At the same time, I'm a cheap bastard, somewhat of a hoarder, and I like to get a deal, though I'm moving away from this as I get older. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and I'd rather pay full price for something truly lovely and that I'll use for a long time than 10 similar items of lower-quality.

My ISTJ friend is really good with her money. Her tastes are very utiliatarian. When we lived together she wanted to get the cheapest/most practical things and I wanted to spend some extra money to make things look nice. Her splurges go mostly to experiential things like travel.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post

Hey, whatever works, but by that light, I probably should have voted NF/poor. I was raised by a dysfunctional ESFP so if I'm not practically in jail for check fraud I feel like I'm not doing too bad.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Maybe I'm SP because I spend money like water. I don't keep track of it and my impulse and hedonist buys add up quick. I don't necessarily go for trendy or brand name items, but I want what I want. Right now. Very badly.

believe money has value only as much how you spend it. Billionaires who hoard money amongst themselves restrict the free flow of economy and perpetuate class inequality. Ever hear the Aesop's fable about the miser who lived like a beggar and buried his gold every day? One day it was stolen and a passer by gave him a rock and said that's essentially what his gold was since he never used it.

Plus, I like enjoying life.

At the same time, I'm a cheap bastard, somewhat of a hoarder, and I like to get a deal, though I'm moving away from this as I get older. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and I'd rather pay full price for something truly lovely and that I'll use for a long time than 10 similar items of lower-quality.

My ISTJ friend is really good with her money. Her tastes are very utiliatarian. When we lived together she wanted to get the cheapest/most practical things and I wanted to spend some extra money to make things look nice. Her splurges go mostly to experiential things like travel.
    My best friend who is probably an ESTP, spends money like it's going out of style. He has owned more new cars in the past few years than I will ever own. Not to mention the clothes, sneakers, watches,etc.

MBTI
    INTJ

I voted so-so because I used to be horrible at saving money. I used to spend all that I made, though all my bills were paid first. I would pay my bills as soon as they arrived.

The only time I can save money is when I have a specific use or purpose for it.

I am excellent at writing down a spending plan (budget).
    I am excellent at tightening the belt, and living on very little if I have to.
    My husband has been unemployed a couple of times, and this ability has come in very handy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So as far as I'm able to see, there is no correlation between type, temperament, and money management...