• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament and money habits in practice...

What is your type and how good are you at managing money?

• I'm an NT and poor at managing money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an SJ and poor at managing money.

• I'm an SP and poor at managing money.

• Total voters

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I voted so-so because I used to be horrible at saving money. I used to spend all that I made, though all my bills were paid first. I would pay my bills as soon as they arrived.

The only time I can save money is when I have a specific use or purpose for it.

I am excellent at writing down a spending plan (budget).
I am excellent at tightening the belt, and living on very little if I have to.
My husband has been unemployed a couple of times, and this ability has come in very handy.

Based on that I would say you are very good with money as its all relative. Money is a tool. If your bills are paid then half the battle is won. Saving for no reason is silly as "when you're dead You don't take nothing with you
But your soul". IMO.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I tend to be overly optimistic about finances in general. My record of financial management is spotty at best. However, I'm always looking for ways to improve my skill and discipline. I recently downloaded Suze Orman's book "Women and Money" for *Free!* from oprah.com.

PS - I chose "so-so".

Last edited:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Well, it has become obvious that the more cautious spenders are T types, thus far, more specifically, IxTx types. The majority of financial savers are NTs, though since most of the forum members are NTs, I guess that doesn't mean much. Overall, the best correlation I can come up with revolves around savers are T types, but not enough Fs are voting.

Perhaps I should ask at how risky certain people are with money, because it's certainly possible that certain types may take financial risks but come out of them with much loss. I'm thinking that such people would vote that they are good at managing money, but not necessarily cautious.

And, of course, Randomnity is right in that certain people probably have inflated egos and voted according to that.
I wasn't limiting my inquiry to this particular thread, you seem to have made a number of inquries into the temperament behavior lately. Are you doubting or picking up on a second temperament in yourself? As for the money thing there are two types of spenders investors and consumers. If it had to be divided by temperament, I would think that clearly the SP types would be consumers and possibly NF, and the NT and SJs investors. In general I am not sure spending habits can be measured along these lines since NTPs are suppose to be some of the worse in taking care of the daily grind in paying bills and spending wisely. At least that is Berens thought.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't limiting my inquiry to this particular thread, you seem to have made a number of inquries into the temperament behavior lately. Are you doubting or picking up on a second temperament in yourself? As for the money thing there are two types of spenders investors and consumers. If it had to be divided by temperament, I would think that clearly the SP types would be consumers and possibly NF, and the NT and SJs investors. In general I am not sure spending habits can be measured along these lines since NTPs are suppose to be some of the worse in taking care of the daily grind in paying bills and spending wisely. At least that is Berens thought.

Well, with the poetry questions, I can perhaps conclude as follows:

NPs seem to rank the highest in liking poetry, especially NFPs.

NJs tend not to, but if they do, they engage in it very casually. NFJs tend to rank higher here, too.

SPs are probably the least clear-cut. They either seem to love it or hate it. And as one could suspect, they are more interested in the aesthetic side of language.

SJs, on the whole, seem to take a rather neutral stance toward it.

But in the end, I'd say an enjoyment of poetry is mostly an NP factor, since, more than any other type, they are comfortable with ambiguity.

But an NJ wants things to be to the point in terms of both external stimulus and in terms of expressing their internal conceptions. So it is the combination of N and P that is likely to make someone a master of metaphorical language.

The NJ is more interested in getting the ideas out into the world, be it in the form of language, invention, or any other art form. For them, there is less likely the intent of trying to communicate some ambiguous meaning. Hypothetically, a creative NJ is more concerned with the cool ideas that they can envision.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an NF and chose "so-so" which may or may not be accurate.

I do have a 2 year degree in accounting, and have done accounts receivable and other low end accounting type stuff for employment purposes (I have not worked in a finance related job for over 7 years now tho), but I'm assuming the question was regarding personal finances where as one might expect, my spending habits are a lot more subjective and less rational than I would be in a work environment.

I do consider myself relatively responsible with money in the sense that I don't like to spend more than I make. If I want something I save up for it, and when i do want something I pay more for top quality rather than scrimp on buying the cheapest that will do (the exception(s) to that would be having taken a mortgage to buy a home and if I every decide to buy an automobile, I'll probably use credit for that), but I do spend a fair ammount on stuff like books and music, and am very poor about allocating money toward long term savings and investment like I know I should. IMO, one should not choose "good with money" unless they are responsibly allocating money toward long term saving for retirement and/or their children's future education or other things they expect to be important to them down the road, so thats why I only chose "so-so".

*** edit ***
I don't think being "good with money" is the same as using it well (as it pertains to oneself). As CzeCze pointed out, if you don't use your money in a way thats meaningful to you, whats the point of having it at all? Money is just a nescessary tool to use toward ones goals of hapiness and security or whatever else motivates you, if you hoarde it and don't use it to realize your dreams, you may be "good with managing money", but bad with "using money". :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm an NF too and chose "so-so" too.

My money handling is like this: everything that comes goes but everything that has come has been enough. :)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it amusing that only two people in the poll have claimed that they are poor at managing money, both of whom are NFs. It would seem that from these results, NTs, SJs and SPs are all good or average at money managing, while the only temperament that's remotely crap at it is the NF temperament.