User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your type and how good are you at managing money?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an NF and good at managing money.

6 14.63%
  • I'm an NF and so-so at managing money.

7 17.07%
  • I'm an NF and poor at managing money.

3 7.32%
  • I'm an NT and good at managing money.

11 26.83%
  • I'm an NT and so-so at managing money.

6 14.63%
  • I'm an NT and poor at managing money.

0 0%
  • I'm an SJ and good at managing money.

1 2.44%
  • I'm an SJ and so-so at managing money.

1 2.44%
  • I'm an SJ and poor at managing money.

0 0%
  • I'm an SP and good at managing money.

3 7.32%
  • I'm an SP and so-so at managing money.

3 7.32%
  • I'm an SP and poor at managing money.

0 0%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Okay, I've decided to take a practical approach with this next question. I'm using the polls to determine how people of each temperament are with handling money.

Please vote and then post, stating why you voted for your category.

The stereotypes say:
    • The NTs are the strategists -- they make long-range financial plans.
    • The NFs are the identity seekers -- their spending habits revolve around whether their purchases are meaningful.
    • The SJs are the spendthrifts -- saving money and spending it only on practical things.
    • The SPs are the frivolous spenders -- blowing their paychecks on clothes, jewelry, a new car, and things that look nice.
    Now let's put these stereotypes to the test.
    I LOVE this poll question and the different choices!
    I can't wait to see the results after many people have posted!

MBTI
    INTJ

By the way, congratulations on your Oscar!

MBTI
    TiSe

Uber you're on a roll with the temperament questions all over the forum. What's up? Share your new found knowledge on the topic, unless you are actually inquiring based on Keirsey's work. Then nevermind.
    Last edited by "?"; 02-23-2008 at 10:27 AM.

MBTI
    xNTP

Compared to my dad, who tracks every dime that leaves his pocket or checking account I am not great at managing my money as I do not track my expenditures. That being said I carefully scrutinize large purchases. For example I spent three months researching computers before I bought my new one.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think I'm pretty good at spending my money wisely, though I still spend enough to enjoy life. From the results so far it seems like most people consider themselves good with money, so maybe the question is too vague or people have an inflated view of themselves (or we're all brilliant, of course ).

I find that tracking how much I spend each month (in rough categories) is both interesting and helpful, although I use it as a record rather than a guide.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Uber you're on a role with the temperament questions all over the forum. What's up? Share your new found knowledge on the topic, unless you are actually inquiring based on Keirsey's work. Then nevermind.
    Well, it has become obvious that the more cautious spenders are T types, thus far, more specifically, IxTx types. The majority of financial savers are NTs, though since most of the forum members are NTs, I guess that doesn't mean much. Overall, the best correlation I can come up with revolves around savers are T types, but not enough Fs are voting.

Perhaps I should ask at how risky certain people are with money, because it's certainly possible that certain types may take financial risks but come out of them with much loss. I'm thinking that such people would vote that they are good at managing money, but not necessarily cautious.

And, of course, Randomnity is right in that certain people probably have inflated egos and voted according to that.

I'm not stingy, but I'm not reckless, either. I would have to say that I'm good with money because I do what I want with it. Needs, desires, and priorities change and so do my money habits as I adapt. When I was 11, I used to put 20 dollar bills in my piggy bank. When I got my first job, I used to save up 3 bi-weekly checks before I'd even take them to the bank. Like I said before, I'm not stingy and I'd rather have what I want and need than pull every little trick to save a penny, but I'm certainly not reckless. Anybody who has the ability to make conscious decisions could be good with money, if they wanted to be. Most people just don't care or just don't try.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

My Dad trained my brother and I well, in terms of managing money. His formula was simple: Keep track of what you spend, don't spend more than you make, and above all, always pay your credit card bills in full each month, no matter what, and never go into ccard debt.

With my first 'real' job out of college when I was living on my own and paying for everything, I was only making $10/hr and it was *critical* that I watched every penny that I spent -- and it became quite clear to me how fast the little things added up. With that first job, I really couldn't afford to do much 'fun' stuff, so socially I felt pretty lame because I'd decline going out to eat with friends sometimes, etc. My friends were pretty understanding though. My income was pretty much depleted just by paying for my basic needs - so I wasn't really able to save anything at that time.

Gradually my salary has increased, but really my spending habits haven't changed (erm..except for maybe being able to go on more than one trip a year)...I still bring lunch to work every day and I only eat out once or twice a month, typically. Basically, the salary raise just means I have less anxiety because I'm NOT having to pinch pennies as carefully, so I have the luxury of going out more and not worrying that by doing so I might go over-budget for the month...and I love it that I can start putting money into savings.

I still keep track of everything I spend, to the penny. I kinda like the habit, because I know where everything's going, and it allows me to adjust my budget from one month to the next, depending on what's coming up.

And, I prioritize. Travel is one of my number one priorities, so most of my 'fun' money that I don't save goes towards that. I tend to buy experiences, not things (although like anyone, I do buy, and like, some 'stuff' ). I never spend as much as I make, I have no debt, and what I don't spend goes into savings.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I try to be careful and I'm not out blowing massive amounts of money on luxuries or maxing out credit cards, but I can be impulsive when I see a good clearance sale and I tend to be spacey and forget details such as bills. I can't think of money as something finite and concrete and, unfortunately, it very much is.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

My parents didn't teach me anything about managing money (they have no clue, themselves). I had to teach myself everything, and I learned the hard way. But I'm in MUCH better financial shape than I was several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The stereotypes say:
    • The NTs are the strategists -- they make long-range financial plans.
    • The NFs are the identity seekers -- their spending habits revolve around whether their purchases are meaningful.
    • The SJs are the spendthrifts -- saving money and spending it only on practical things.
    • The SPs are the frivolous spenders -- blowing their paychecks on clothes, jewelry, a new car, and things that look nice.
    Now let's put these stereotypes to the test.
    I know MANY SJs who have blown their money on frivolous things in an effort to maintain their social status.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."