Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
My inability to pay mind to details and the concrete has been a constant thorn in my side. In particular, my complete inability to fill out forms and paperwork without making small mistakes is becoming a real impediment. I try to focus on the task at hand, but it feels like trying to shove my mind into a test tube. I have a headache after 20 minutes.

Any ideas on how to manage this irksome tendency?
I am actually reasonably good with those types of details (not great by any stretch, but reasonably good). Perhaps it comes from working in the computing industry.

When filling out a form, I think of it like I am "programming" (rather "calling") a function that will be used by a computerized system to execute certain tasks. Often, what is filled out on the form is directly transcribed into a computerized form that goes into an institution's database somewhere, so it is no that far off.

I kinda try to reverse-engineer their database schema from the questions they ask. I almost always try to get a .pdf or other electronic version of the form. I type out the basic info. in my most natural way of thinking about things. I then use lots of copy and paste after getting that info into the appropriate slots.

Having a scanner, allows me to scan to electronic to do the same thing if only paper is available.

If I were forced to do everything on paper, I would likely struggle also.