User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Why typing actors is hard

Have you noticed that most INTPs will (initially) think House is INTP, INTJs will think House is INTJ, ENTPs will think House is ENTP, ENTJs will think house is ENTJ?(and after much debate some of their opinions will change)

There's a thread right now, about Rachel McAdam's type, and Ratsimoan (ENFP) says she's ENFP, while Unique (INTP) says she is INXP, IndyAnnaJoan(ISFP) says she is IXFX, Orangey (ISTP) says she is INTP, Rebe(INFP) says ISFJ.

Why is that? Because we identify with the characters they play and we'll just type them like us ?

Why do we even bother typing actors we like, if our perspective is flawed from the start?

PS: I should have posted this in Popular Culture and Type...my bad.

Phantonym

Perhaps some people tend to notice the characteristics they immediately identify with in the characters, so what doesn't fit is left to the background. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Projection...

Typing actors/characters should be taken as a good-humoured practice, not an absolute anyway. That goes for other typings as well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What are you proposing, then? Should we only type actors that we don't like in order to avoid the bias?

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    What are you proposing, then? Should we only type actors that we don't like in order to avoid the bias?
    Oh, that way people are still biased against types that, for some reason, don't appeal to them all that much, thus noticing the perceived negative characteristics first.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not proposing anything.

To me( ENTP), Rachel McAdams looks ENFP. : ))

What we and others have in common, we recognize; what we have not in common, we disregard.

It boosts our self-esteem? I can only speak anecdotally, but once my ego gets involved in something, it's harder for me to be objective and detached.

Also, characters tend to portray idealized people. They're even idealized in their negative traits. For House, he has all the negative traits of us NTs, but he's portrayed in such a way that it's "so cool". We can't help but look at him and go "wow, I wish I didn't have to worry about all this emotional propriety bullshit and get away with the stuff he gets away with." He acts out what we are in our heads, naturally, without having to listen to Fe or Fi to function well within real life society.

So yeah, we see ourselves in him, see how "he's everything we wish we could be", our egos latch on to that and then we can't objectively see how his character differentiates from ourselves because we aren't looking for/we don't want to look for that differentiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What we and others have in common, we recognize; what he have not in common, we disregard.
    This is more concise than what I said.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yea...INTJs tend to do that : ))

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Yea...INTJs tend to do that : ))
    Haha...how do they DO that?? I spent, like, 10 minutes on what I wrote trying to find the right words. Damn it. :P