User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Default "Tertiary Rising" inverted: Type as a child

I have this theory:
    - As a child the tertiary is second, the dominant is inverted (e -> i or i -> e).
    - The secondary is provided for by the parents, in a way. (Secondary: 'The good parent')

I base this on three observations that people with the following types think they were / used to type themselves (in early youth) as:

for clarification, order below is: type now -> past/retrospected type
    ISTJ -> ESFP (forum member -> seen in retrospect)
    INFJ -> ENTP (friend -> getting it from MBTI at the time)
    INTJ -> ENFP (me -> seen in retrospect)

All three have the pattern:
    - the tertiary is secondary (retaining the same orientation)
    - the dominant is dominant but has inverted orientation (e/i) - It might be that somehow the situation as a child is conducive to expression of the dominant in its inverted orientation.

I would conceive of a more extreme "child type" as having the tertiary dominating and its orientation inversed (which would yield ENFJ for an INTJ for example).

For the rest it's based on individual recognitions with people, like for example seeing in an ENFJ's movements and posture behaviour I remember from myself from a long time ago.

For the rest, too, it's pretty free theorizing. As I saw the Tertiary Rising thread I thought I would refer to it in my thread title, as that thread is proposing something similar but the other way around (and probably with a little more practical value, or at least future-oriented).
    Last edited by Llewellyn; 01-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    INtj | 9w1

ReflecTcelfeR

I see that within myself. When I was child, or younger, before puberty I was extremely INFJ-ish. Now it would seem that the tertiary is finding its place and rearranging towards the third seat where it belongs, and my Ni-ish tendency is now affirming itself towards the outside world, making it Extraverted. I am now embracing a more ENTP-ish attitude.

So this theory explains my situation at the least.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

somewhat fits a friend of mine... he believed he was more of an INTJ when he was younger and matured into an ENFP.

ISFP has always been fitting to me though... however, if it's of any relevance, I believe i leaned more on Fi and Ni than Se, as a child and as an adult.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think it has value only if the dominant maintains its normal direction. I haven't really seen the dominant be inverted whatsoever, it's typically whatever it is. (And for me, anecdotally, Te has always been one of my suckiest traits from birth and Ti one of my strongest.)

I could intuit that the tertiary would get mileage from being the function aimed in the same direction as the dom. That's why it would have an opportunity to be stronger. The secondary is always a stretch for the person, it's them moving into a new directional sphere (I->E or E->I), and the temptation is to play to the tertiary instead and use it to protect the primary so it won't have to be stretched. So the tert might start out more used, but the secondary should typically surpass it at some point, knocking it into third slot.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ReflecTcelfeR

I think it also may be determined by which third spot function is trying to protect the lead. Fe seems to cap Ne well enough as a child. So perhaps it isn't so much a directional change in function, but more of a release of the dominant allowing it to flow free, which would then allow the auxillary to surpass it as well. As we grow up critical thought surpasses the need to be protected at times. Thoughts?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Nah, there's no way I was an ESTJ when I was little =P
    I was very strongly IxxP. Perhaps my Si was more prominent as a kid, so there may be something to the tertiary being secondary, or maybe tied with the secondary.... but my Te was pretty much unused at that time, I didn't start developing it until I was a teenager.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Um so I was an INTJ as a child?

I am very puzzled by your theory.

Can't really see myself as an ENFJ child. In retrospect, I always thought of myself as something resembling an ENFP/ISFP combo.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

If this is true, nobody really was a different type. You still preferred the dom. and aux., but the ego ran to the tertairy to maintain its dominant orientation, and this may have affected behavior, but did not make you squarely another type.
    If you look at function and orientation separately, then you can see why functions might appear to change attitude like that at times.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Um so I was an INTJ as a child?

I am very puzzled by your theory.
    Not that you were one, just that you might've been expressing your dominant Ne (relatively) more as Ni (= introvertedly). No idea, it could perhaps be that the dominant is more evenly balanced (apparently, as probably typologically not immediately possible) at first, then later takes off fully in its own direction or orientation.
    It might be that actually the dominant has always had the same orientation, but was somehow expressed (inward or outward) more than its orientation would imply (Pfff) (It would be Xi would've been more apparent from the outside, Xe would've been more apparent from the inside, whatever that means).
    INtj | 9w1