User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i was absolutely nothing like an ESFJ as a child. i've always been Fe-retarded and have acted like an NP my whole life.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    I have this theory:
    - As a child the tertiary is second, the dominant is inverted (e -> i or i -> e).
    - The secondary is provided for by the parents, in a way. (Secondary: 'The good parent')

I base this on three observations that people with the following types think they were / used to type themselves (in early youth) as:

ISTJ -> ESFP (forum member -> seen in retrospect)
    INFJ -> ENTP (friend -> getting it from MBTI at the time)
    INTJ -> ENFP (me -> seen in retrospect)

All three have the pattern:
    - the tertiary is secondary (retaining the same orientation)
    - the dominant is dominant but has inverted orientation (e/i) - It might be that somehow the situation as a child is conducive to expression of the dominant in its inverted orientation.

I would conceive of a more extreme "child type" as having the tertiary dominating and its orientation inversed (which would yield ENFJ for an INTJ for example).

For the rest it's based on individual recognitions with people, like for example seeing in an ENFJ's movements and posture behaviour I remember from myself from a long time ago.

For the rest, too, it's pretty free theorizing. As I saw the Tertiary Rising thread I thought I would refer to it in my thread title, as that thread is proposing something similar but the other way around (and probably with a little more practical value, or at least future-oriented).
    I don't understand your theory at all. Where does it comes from? Perhaps the people you know were shy/repressed or something, and now they're more comfortable?

I was still very IxxP as a child. It's hard to type kids even when they're in front of you, let alone in retrospect, but I certainly do not remember having much Te or Fe at all, let alone having them as a dominant function. Nor was my tertiary (Ni) significant then. It would have been a mix of Ti and Fi with a backup of Ne and Se, if I had to guess.

The theory makes no sense to me. Why would it be so?
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^ Yeah, I agree. To the OP - three instances doesn't say a whole lot (i.e. one INFJ that you know who thought himself more ENTP as a child is simply one INFJ who thought that. Many/most wouldn't. Same with the other examples.)

I definitely wasn't anywhere close to being an ExxP as a child, and have never confused myself as one. I've always been a very solid IxxJ - although for a few toddler yrs (age 2-3?) I was apparently very friendly/engaging with others, but I don't remember any of that.

Now I DO think the tertiary can rise and be stronger than the aux, such that an uber-extroverted ExxP won't use much aux or a really introverted IxxJ will lean heavily on both introverted functions, but reversing the primary -- as a baseline personality -- doesn't make sense to me. Not as a general theory, at least. With certain individuals? Sure. But there can be various sorts of development of different sorts, too - it's a reason mbti is an imperfect system/theory.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

As a child I was very INFJish-but of a shadowy version. I used Ni to detach from the world and perhaps wierd Fe to build a protective wall. At about thirteen I found Te and used it from then on out. But this was likely because my childhood was very unstable.

In my kids...

My 15 yo ENFP son was exceptionally Ne when small. When contained in any way he would have severe emotional outbursts and become rageful, throwing things and screaming. He was kicked out of four daycare centers and then placed on ritalin in second grade to help him calm down (ie rein in Ne perhaps?). At eleven suddenly he calmed down-he began to differentiate Fi and learned to think before acting. He is very sweet and calm now. So I'd say Ne with shadow Te used in an explosive way, followed by more mature NeFi as he ages. No REAL Te though as he is a total slob and very unorganized. I love him though.

My 3 yo INTJ is very interesting to observe. Strikingly introverted as an infant, withdrew from others disdainfully-Ni-ish-? He sought to structure things as early as 9 months in an OCD stacking of toys way-Te-ish? At about 18 months he suddenly became extremely affectionate to a few isolated people-Fi-ish? At about 2.5 he started doing this strange thing when really tired-he gets insanely hyperactive and VERY loud-inf Se-ish? It's funny as normally he is very reserved.

So to watch him now, you can see how he cycles through using Ni and Te with some days favoring the Te more. However Fi is a strong defensive mechanism and shows up as whininess or petulant cold shoulder behavior.

An INTJ from another forum actually mapped out two variants on cognitive functions-he noted that there may be a difference in the introvert vs extrovert order of development. He had realy beautiful ideas but they arent mine so I cant share them.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i was absolutely nothing like an ESFJ as a child. i've always been Fe-retarded and have acted like an NP my whole life.
    start behaving...
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I don't understand your theory at all. Where does it comes from? Perhaps the people you know were shy/repressed or something, and now they're more comfortable?

I was still very IxxP as a child. It's hard to type kids even when they're in front of you, let alone in retrospect, but I certainly do not remember having much Te or Fe at all, let alone having them as a dominant function. Nor was my tertiary (Ni) significant then. It would have been a mix of Ti and Fi with a backup of Ne and Se, if I had to guess.

The theory makes no sense to me. Why would it be so?
    Ok. You have the order the other way around though, the three examples point from now -> past (type).

I like to draw theories from little data. It can make for an elegant theory (Or so I see it). Consider it a theory for its own sake. With possible (and affirmed) application to reality. Partly it's there for who can make something of it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    start behaving...
    why on earth would i do that?