User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Images of the Cognitive Functions

I don't know if anyone else has seen this before, but I stumbled across this site which has water colour paintings of the eight functions.

bboozer.com - Visual Images of Jung's Psychological Types

I thought the Introverted Thinking painting was very apt, as I felt it an honest depiction of where I spend a lot of time. But as I am not very proficient in all functions, especially Fe, Ni, Si and Se, I was wondering if people could tell me whether the pictures portray their pet functions just as well.

Another thing I'd to ask is if a function is being expressed when a person is actively opposing the opposite function. For example, a lot of people that know me well, would say that I'm very against Extraverted Feeling, (if they knew what that meant) is this an expression of my Introverted Thinking or just my very weak Extraverted Feeling?

That is all.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I didn't really get Fe.

Fe actually makes a bit of sense, as it's an object commonly representative of 'good feeling'

Ne was acceptable, but I would have rather liked instead of triangles, somewhat obscurely representing the patterns, perhaps strings. The painting itself I think could only be 'understood' by an extraverted intuitor, as in order to see what's going on in the painting, you'd have to string the triangle objects together in your mind. I do like how they start off in the back somewhat jumbled, and progressively grow more affixed to one another. It would make more sense if they were more mixed at the bottom of the page, and as things go on the patterns are grafted from the piled shapes.

Oh and all the others were quickly identifiable.

Si is probably the most accurately portrayed, excepting Te.
    we fukin won boys

Enneagram
    1w2

Yeah, I didn't get Fe either. It looked really cold and systematic. Maybe the colors were supposed to make up for that.

It's easier for me to see functions as they combine rather than as they stand alone. Some functions are easier to represent, but I think this artist did a good job with Fi, Te, and Si.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Ne was acceptable, but I would have rather liked instead of triangles, somewhat obscurely representing the patterns, perhaps strings. The painting itself I think could only be 'understood' by an extraverted intuitor, as in order to see what's going on in the painting, you'd have to string the triangle objects together in your mind. I do like how they start off in the back somewhat jumbled, and progressively grow more affixed to one another. It would make more sense if they were more mixed at the bottom of the page, and as things go on the patterns are grafted from the piled shapes.
    I agree, I was a little disapointed with Ne. I didn't want to say that in the OP though as I wanted one of you ENPs to have a look at it first.

When I first looked at it I thought the pieces started from the grey horizons and were caught up by the "winds of possibilities" rather than the other way around. But I think it makes more sense your way.

I was disapointed with Se as well but will reserve judgement until an ESP comments. Where's whatever when you need her?

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yeah, I didn't get Fe either. It looked really cold and systematic. Maybe the colors were supposed to make up for that.

It's easier for me to see functions as they combine rather than as they stand alone. Some functions are easier to represent, but I think this artist did a good job with Fi, Te, and Si.
    Fe seemed to be the generic pathway to a communal rainbow, maybe with different nations, creeds, races, religions and pernsonality types represented by the different colours which all gain the same shade as the rainbow goes on. Without using actual people as subjects I think Fe would be hard to define.

I agree that Fi, Te and Si are done well. They helped me understand the functions better and Te drew a clear difference for me between itself and Ti.

Fe

Fi

Te

Ti

Se

Si

Ne

Ni
    Got nothin'

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Ni
    Got nothin'
    This function's a myth anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Ni
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would say Ni would be all of Sassafrassquatch's function images played out in the mind.

EDIT: I'm a little confused with Fe, does it represent a glamorous socialite or a smothering grandmother? (Or both?)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Wait, here's one for Ni:

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I would say Ni would be all of Sassafrassquatch's function images played out in the mind.

EDIT: I'm a little confused with Fe, does it represent a glamorous socialite or a smothering grandmother? (Or both?)
    Judith Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia