• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Images of the Cognitive Functions

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know if anyone else has seen this before, but I stumbled across this site which has water colour paintings of the eight functions.

bboozer.com - Visual Images of Jung's Psychological Types

I thought the Introverted Thinking painting was very apt, as I felt it an honest depiction of where I spend a lot of time. But as I am not very proficient in all functions, especially Fe, Ni, Si and Se, I was wondering if people could tell me whether the pictures portray their pet functions just as well.

Another thing I'd to ask is if a function is being expressed when a person is actively opposing the opposite function. For example, a lot of people that know me well, would say that I'm very against Extraverted Feeling, (if they knew what that meant) is this an expression of my Introverted Thinking or just my very weak Extraverted Feeling?

That is all.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I didn't really get Fe.

Fe actually makes a bit of sense, as it's an object commonly representative of 'good feeling'

Ne was acceptable, but I would have rather liked instead of triangles, somewhat obscurely representing the patterns, perhaps strings. The painting itself I think could only be 'understood' by an extraverted intuitor, as in order to see what's going on in the painting, you'd have to string the triangle objects together in your mind. I do like how they start off in the back somewhat jumbled, and progressively grow more affixed to one another. It would make more sense if they were more mixed at the bottom of the page, and as things go on the patterns are grafted from the piled shapes.

Oh and all the others were quickly identifiable.

Si is probably the most accurately portrayed, excepting Te.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yeah, I didn't get Fe either. It looked really cold and systematic. Maybe the colors were supposed to make up for that.

It's easier for me to see functions as they combine rather than as they stand alone. Some functions are easier to represent, but I think this artist did a good job with Fi, Te, and Si.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Ne was acceptable, but I would have rather liked instead of triangles, somewhat obscurely representing the patterns, perhaps strings. The painting itself I think could only be 'understood' by an extraverted intuitor, as in order to see what's going on in the painting, you'd have to string the triangle objects together in your mind. I do like how they start off in the back somewhat jumbled, and progressively grow more affixed to one another. It would make more sense if they were more mixed at the bottom of the page, and as things go on the patterns are grafted from the piled shapes.

I agree, I was a little disapointed with Ne. I didn't want to say that in the OP though as I wanted one of you ENPs to have a look at it first.

When I first looked at it I thought the pieces started from the grey horizons and were caught up by the "winds of possibilities" rather than the other way around. But I think it makes more sense your way.

I was disapointed with Se as well but will reserve judgement until an ESP comments. Where's whatever when you need her?

Yeah, I didn't get Fe either. It looked really cold and systematic. Maybe the colors were supposed to make up for that.

It's easier for me to see functions as they combine rather than as they stand alone. Some functions are easier to represent, but I think this artist did a good job with Fi, Te, and Si.

Fe seemed to be the generic pathway to a communal rainbow, maybe with different nations, creeds, races, religions and pernsonality types represented by the different colours which all gain the same shade as the rainbow goes on. Without using actual people as subjects I think Fe would be hard to define.

I agree that Fi, Te and Si are done well. They helped me understand the functions better and Te drew a clear difference for me between itself and Ti.

sassafrassquatch

Fe
Fe.jpg

Fi
Fi.jpg

Te
Te.jpg

Ti
Ti.jpg

Se
Se.jpg

Si
Si.jpg

Ne
Ne.jpg

Ni
Got nothin'

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say Ni would be all of Sassafrassquatch's function images played out in the mind.

EDIT: I'm a little confused with Fe, does it represent a glamorous socialite or a smothering grandmother? (Or both?)

alicia91

Very interesting. :)

Fe seemed to be the generic pathway to a communal rainbow, maybe with different nations, creeds, races, religions and pernsonality types represented by the different colours which all gain the same shade as the rainbow goes on.

Exactly. It's all about roles and relationships and connecting as a group. A path of many differences merging in the light of the sun. How optimistic!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
That's very cool. I think in images. Nice to have ones that gel with how I think.

I get the Fe, Fi, Te, Ti, and Ni ones. I think I get the Ne one.

But the Si and Se - I don't get them at all. sassafrasquatch's ones were good, though.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
bluebell - wonderful to see you here!

The Ni is spot on.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The original Se picture is the only one that doesn't really make sense to me. I think it's hard to make abstract a function which sees things in absolutely concrete terms.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? Se seems about immersion in physical reality... hole-jump seems very intensely physical to me. :)

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
The original Se picture is the only one that doesn't really make sense to me. I think it's hard to make abstract a function which sees things in absolutely concrete terms.

From what I can gather from the picture, it seems to be potraying Se as using things only to their most base and practical level. Like it's saying it makes only garbage out of what other functions might have a use for. An apple has nothing to offer after it's eaten, no inspiration, no assocation. And I wonder if the image is supposed make you feel certain physical sensations.

It makes feel like you've just scrunched up a bit of paper in your hands and you're reminded of the disgust an old eaten apple might give you.

And in classic Se fashion it makes you think, "Onto the next thing!"

The Ni is spot on.

I was hoping someone would mention that one. Are you high Ni? I can't remember if I've learnt your type or not.