• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which personality types are prone to drug addiction?

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think all types can become addicted to any drug (and have witness this in person, for all 16 types). Generally speaking, however, I think extroverts are more likely than introverts and Ps more likely than Js.

redacted

I think all types can become addicted to any drug (and have witness this in person, for all 16 types). Generally speaking, however, I think extroverts are more likely than introverts and Ps more likely than Js.

wow you know addicts to every drug from every type?

i thought i knew a lot of addicts :)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Cocaine is an opiate, Ms. Scanty. ;)

If you're talking about painkiller addiction, I haven't determined if there are particular types for that except that it seems common in those who work in the medical profession and those patients who had suffered a physical injury.

Cocaine is not an opiate. Not poppy-derived. That being said, in my experience, cocaine appeals to us Extroverts moreso than, say, heroin (maybe the quintessential Introvert drug). I've heard it been said that "Cocaine is for people who want to feel more, and heroin is for those who want to feel less." Alcohol and marijuana cut across almost every barrier, personality, ethnicity, class, etc.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
wow you know addicts to every drug from every type?

i thought i knew a lot of addicts :)

haha sorry I mispoke - I should have said users (but I guess it's hard for me to completely define the difference between addict and repeat casual user). During my college days, especially, it's hard to distinguish between the two. My roommate used to sell things, so I saw a lot of different types come in and out a lot.

Hardcore addicts I am sure of were, estp, entp, istp, isfp, infj, esfp, enfp, istj (if you include alcohol)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
haha sorry I mispoke - I should have said users (but I guess it's hard for me to completely define the difference between addict and repeat casual user). During my college days, especially, it's hard to distinguish between the two. My roommate used to sell things, so I saw a lot of different types come in and out a lot.

Hardcore addicts I am sure of were, estp, entp, istp, isfp, infj, esfp, enfp, istj (if you include alcohol)

Make sense too going by cognitive functions... either Se dominant/auxiliary or inferior Se. :yes:

Extroverts prefer stimulants... introverts prefer depressants (alchohol).

boombanca

MBTI Type
ESFP
Cocaine is an opiate, Ms. Scanty. ;)

If you're talking about painkiller addiction, I haven't determined if there are particular types for that except that it seems common in those who work in the medical profession and those patients who had suffered a physical injury.

its not so much people working at the places being addicted, its doctors giving away perscriptions to anyone who asks. opiate pain killers which are in the exact same family, and are the same thing synthetically, as HEROIN. and BTW Cocaine is NOT a opiate.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I dont think the mbti type system is applicable to drug abuse. I only have experience with marijuana myself and in my circle of friends. The few SJs, who did it, did it in school. They had huge issues with some of our teachers and I am sure school time was a pain in the ass for many. Somehow they managed to survive by having extensive parties consuming alcohol + marijuana. (I of course participated in :D)

When school was over though and they figured now their course of their life lies in their own hands, they changed and eventually banished all marijuana-related things. Their alcohol abuse though peaked and I have to watch myself, cause I am going down that road too.

I myself started to smoke after school. Somewhat lost not knowing where to go, having no clue about life, I dedicated my mind to the metaphysical state of things and became nearly nuts. I highly react to marijuana, need one stroke and I have lost track of reality. I get paranoid.

Given the mbti dichotomies, I would say the function mix in a way then that Ne + Fe take the lead. Given Fe to be a weak function it functions haphazard at best. And Ti is just to justify ones view on things to oneself. Which ultimatively can be described as being nuts.

I developed my own personal typology system, when being on pot and I didnt know about mbti back in those days, so I was pretty much alone with my thoughts and discoveries. Sometimes I was ahead of my time for sure, but sometimes I was nuts I am sure too.

I eventually stumbled over Jung and that was a relieve, ended up with mbti / socionics then and quit smoking when I joined university. Wouldnt start it again, the experience has left my mind fragile and receptive to madness and I need to watch myself to not loose it. Maybe in time the mind will heal and grow more strong again, for the moment though a joint could make me loose the last 4 years completly again.

The only type I know about who havent quit smoking, seem to be types that need a certain feeling to feel good. There is that INFJ, who regulary needs to retreat in his fantasy world. He talked about quitting a lot of times but he just is not strong enough. He is seeing a counsellor now and I am hoping something good will come out of it, cause the doctor seems to be the only guy he listens too.

Another one is an ESTP, who gets a social butterfly when being stoned. Therefore he is always stoned. He knows like 1 billion people, has become a building sales manager and is quite the man. Though only when he is stoned, without he starts to doubt himself bigtime and becomes really insecure.

Another is INFP, who has a strict agenda about when and when not to take drugs. I think he smokes like one weekend every month, also as a meaning of retreat. That guy is pretty stable, though its hard to understand him for me sometimes.

All three though show grave symptoms of long-term memory losses, they have an incredible problem to focus on learning things for university or concentrate in general. And all three are subjective to grave mood swings, which can come to an outstanding person, suddenly and unpredictable.

Therefore I am keeping contact highly superficial.

One thing is for sure though, its not easy to see your friends wither to their ends..

sculpting

My family: on my mom's side out of eight relatives four have been meth addicts, five have been alcoholics and seven smoke or dip. I am number eight with none of the above habits.

When asked the meth makes them feel more stable, calm, focused, happy. Same with smoking. I prefer esoteric personality websites as my drug of choice...

They break down into three Ne-Fi, four Se-Fi, one Fi-Se perhaps who went on to develop meth induced schizophrenia and is now homeless in ft. worth.

F

FigerPuppet

I think I'm prone to marijuana addiction because it makes me relax. I find it very hard to do something "relaxing" without my conscience slapping me out of it and telling me that I should be reading about blablabla. Being high doesn't stop the voice of my conscience, but it makes me stop caring.

I think of alcohol as a social lubricant and not a tool for relaxation.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think I'm prone to marijuana addiction because it makes me relax. I find it very hard to do something "relaxing" without my conscience slapping me out of it and telling me that I should be reading about blablabla. Being high doesn't stop the voice of my conscience, but it makes me stop caring.

I think of alcohol as a social lubricant and not a tool for relaxation.

Thats probably exactly like the INJ I know would talk about the topic.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm going to second that I think ESFPs might be prone to addiction.

According to this book, How to Stop Elderly Abuse: A ... - Google Books, the ESFP is the type most likely to have an addictive personality(regarding substances).

The only person that I know and could honestly call an addict is an ISFP. He smokes marijuana every single day, and has done so for the past 15 years. He doesn't work because it interferes with his usage. A close friend of mine, an ESFP, still gets high every other day(at almost 30 years old). He prefers marijuana and alcohol, but is also into acid and shrooms. I also know either an ENFP or an ESFP whose drug of choice was cocaine. He pretty much stayed away from alcohol and he would take large amounts of cocaine, and still appear shockingly "normal".

Tareq_q8

MBTI Type
INTP
Speaking from my own personal experience i believe that enjoyability rather than the actual addictiveness of a drug is more influenced by personality types. For example, i know alot of people who take MDMA (or ecstasy) every once in a while. Ive noticed after some discussion that introverts who take MDMA tend to see the experience as alot more euphoric/ spiritual/ intense whereas extroverts that i know don't and enjoy the experience but to a much lesser degree.
However, when it comes to a drug like heroin, all the extroverts that i know that have tried the drug absolutely love it and find it much more enjoyable than MDMA whereas me, as a person who has had heroin around 20-30 times in my life have found the experience, while pleasurable, is nowhere near as euphoric as ecstasy. (and despite the absence in general of any psychological cravings, there were very persistant physical withdrawal symptoms.)
This leads me to the natural conclusion that from what we know about the extrovert/introvert type of brain (which is that introverts generally have a higher tolerance to dopamine and a greater reaction to serotonin, and vice versa for extroverts), it can be assumed that dopamine-related drugs are more pleasurable and thus addictive to extroverts, and serotonin-related drugs are more pleasurable and thus addictive to introverts.
Of course this is just my opinion based on what ive noticed from personal experience and conversations and shared experiences with friends.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Alcohol, here

I have never in my life tried any illegal drug, or used a medicine outside their medical prescribed use. I've liked some cocaine based drugs, as well as opioids. I think I'd like meth and cocaine according to the descriptions I've read. But, alcohol will kill me, if any drug. It's enough of a detriment for me to be possibly killed by one drug. I don't need others.

Okay. I won't be really killed by it. I think I have some kind of phobia against some substances. I might really use everything at healthy level, but be really frightened about them.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here are my observations of which drugs are preferred by which types:

ENTJ/ESTJ - cocaine, because it enhances their manic state that they relish so much
INTP/ISTP - alcohol. INTPs like it because it's a depressant that eases the edge of their overthinking. For ISTPs it seems to be simply the matter of easy access and convenience.
ISFP - weed, because it enhances the joy derived from senses (such as food)
INFJ - heroin (to deal with overwhelming emotional pain)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
addiction is one of those horrible things that lurks in the back of the head of most types I reckon... not type specific at all... I think we can all succumb to it

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I smoked the ganj for a few months but never made it a habit. I didn't like it much.

If I were to become attached to anything, it'd be alcohol or maybe psychedelics (though you can't really get addicted to psychedelics).

As for a straight up addiction, I think the OP was right about anti-anxiety. I drive myself crazy and I'm only 17.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
OOOH... DOn't get my started on the whole anxiety thing... How can someone be both anxious and laid back at the same time... what is that... Like a conflict of functions or something