• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which personality types are prone to drug addiction?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTPs/INTJs like systems so computers would be part of their lifestyle.
And N dominance is what leaves things out?
I'm talking about addiction, not necessarily certain obsessive-compulsive behaviors.

Then marijuana doesn't fit into this thread.

Cocaine is an opiate, Ms. Scanty. ;)
LOL?
If you're talking about painkiller addiction, I haven't determined if there are particular types for that except that it seems common in those who work in the medical profession and those patients who had suffered a physical injury.
LOL???

This HAS to be a joke.

I would say that addiction is a combination of physical and psychological- being that for instance in SP/ NP types, marijuana could numb or activate certain parts of their brain functioning, which makes them more physiologically-psychologically more prone towards it in a similar way in which TJ types can self-medicate using alcohol to tune out or accentuate different parts of their brain functioning in which alcohol makes them more emotionally expressive.
Know why alcohol helps you tune things out? It kills brain cells.
Likewise, some FJ types might utilise cocaine/speed to increase their need for sense-stimulation.
Do you know MBTI? I'm wondering if this doesn't have a hidden misogynistic
subtext.
I already said technically it is an alkaloid-based drug.
Yes, that was the post following the one where you said it was an opiate, which does not fall under the category of alkaloids...

Similar 'happiness' effect doesn't by any means indicate parallel chemistry.

Please read before commenting.
Please only give advise you subscribe to yourself.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
:popc1:

How many posts does it take for an ESTJ to admit they were mistaken?

My own mother still insists that weed isn't a hallucinogen. :rofl1:
Have you ever smok't?

Gotta love those miscommunications. :rofl1:
Er... bad research and over-extrapolation of straightforward facts.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
:popc1:

Is there a coke drinking emotion? My throat is getting a little parched from all this popcorn.

redacted

OK, I've made some initial assessments based upon my observation of others and I think the following has a tendency for each type:

ENTP/INTP/INFP/ISFP: marijuana

INFJ/ENFJ/ESFJ: cocaine, speed

INTJ/ENTJ/ISTJ/ESTJ: alcohol

ENFP: anti-anxiety meds coupled with ecstasy

ISFJ I've noticed is the only type that doesn't seem to have a predisposition towards any addictions- they like healthy living, exercise etc.

wow i disagree with like all of this (except the ISFJ thing, i know 2 ISFJs that aren't into drugs or alchohol at all).

it's really hard to make generalizations of this nature. i'm an INFJ, and i've done like every drug (except crack, peyote, and a bunch of other random hallucinogens, although i'd do any hallucinogen). i've done meth, coke, weed, ecstacy, smoked heroin once, opium, vicodin, oxycontin, xanax, colonopin (sp?), mushrooms, acid, 2cb, 2ci, dmt, salvia, uh...i'm sure i'm forgetting some.

anyways, i like downers; i really am not into ecstacy or coke, i've only done meth once and didn't like it. i really like opiates and weed (and alchohol, although it's not preferable). and i had like a 3 year hallucinogen phase where i tripped on acid or mushrooms 100+ times.

i'm currently limiting myself to alchohol, though, i haven't touched anything else in months, but i drink like once a week with my friends.

potheads i've known: INTJ, INFJ, INFP, ENTJ, ENFJ, INTP, ENTP, ENFP, ISFP, ESFP, ESTP, ESTJ, hmmm i don't know many SJ potheads. well, i don't know many SJs. anyways.

coke-fiends i've known: ESTJ, ESFP, ESTP, ISFP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP

opiate-fiends i've known: INTJ, INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ESTJ, ISFP

alchohol: everyone i know (except i'm not that into it, and neither are my INFJ or ISFJ friends. so maybe IFJs aren't that into alchohol?)

i'm sure i could think of more examples, these are just people off the top of my head.

INFJs and drugs don't really mix. :1377:

hahaha

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Very true, scantily- which means that preventing the reuptake of dopamine- increases dopamine levels similar to opioids.

Except with cocaine, you end up creating TOO MUCH dopamine, eventually resulting in anxiousness, where in opiates you cease production causing depression, the opposite of anxiety.

Still think they're the same? Even if the high is similar (it isn't actually... I'm just playing along for the sake of argument) that doesn't mean that the alteration of brain chemistry is at all the same.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
potheads i've known: INTJ, INFJ, INFP, ENTJ, ENFJ, INTP, ENTP, ENFP, ISFP, ESFP, ESTP, ESTJ, hmmm i don't know many SJ potheads. well, i don't know many SJs. anyways.

coke-fiends i've known: ESTJ, ESFP, ESTP, ISFP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP

opiate-fiends i've known: INTJ, INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ESTJ, ISFP

Uh... all were addicted? WTF?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You know what I wondered...usually people make all types of unfounded claims here and rarely does anyone ask to cite sources. Does this particular instance have anything to do with him being an ESTJ? People jumped kind of quick on this.

What makes you think that? Just because he's the only ESTJ on the forum? (that I know of)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
A few times. Why, you a narc? :D

Would you ask after telling me if you suspected I was?

No I was just unsure that you'd done your own research... the last thing we need is ANOTHER uneducated debater.

Weed is a weird one. I don't like the hallucinogen tag on it, but then thinking back on my experiences it's not such a bad fit.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What makes you think that? Just because he's the only ESTJ on the forum? (that I know of)

The first few posts in this thread addressed hotmale's initial theory. Then he mistakenly said that cocaine was an opiate. OK, fine he was wrong. It seemed to me that people seized upon is factual inaccuracy rather than the content of his OP.

Now, I know that MBTI type and drug addiction isn't a pretty subject. I don't really see many threads about negative possible correlations between type and behavior (which type is prone to being abusive, sexist, racist, etc.). Not to say they don't pop up, it's just that there's not that many of them. Here's a sample of some threads about type and behavior:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-matrices/3946-mbti-type-hypnotizability.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...onality-matrices/3822-most-stubborn-type.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-matrices/3746-identical-twins-mbti-type.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ices/3849-extroverted-intuition-religion.html

I'm thinking that most people don't want a negative behavior (like drug addiction) attached to their type. Yeah, it's OK to wonder which type is smartest or most compassionate, but which types are more prone to addictions? I think not. I don't even know if there are correlations. But it did seem odd to me that a big deal was made out of whether cocaine is an opioid or not rather than OP. I thought, and I have no problem admitting that I could be wrong, that some people felt this was an opportunity to show an ESTJ up. How often do you see people asking to cite sources here?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Would you ask after telling me if you suspected I was?

If I ever get high again, I'm going to come back just to reread that question over and over. That is one weirdly worded sentence. :shock:

No I was just unsure that you'd done your own research... the last thing we need is ANOTHER uneducated debater.

To quote Mencia, "I haven't slammed my penis with a hammer, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like that." Experience isn't the same thing as education or reason.

Weed is a weird one. I don't like the hallucinogen tag on it, but then thinking back on my experiences it's not such a bad fit.

Yeah, I didn't really like weed. Now the stuff they give you to put you under at the dentist; I love that shit!

I'm thinking that most people don't want a negative behavior (like drug addiction) attached to their type.

Hey, I'm proud to be a member of the most paranoid type! :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I make a habit of asking where people get their information when they make dubious claims.

redacted

Uh... all were addicted? WTF?

well i don't know how to define addiction necessarily. but all of those i've listed have exhibited many unhealthy behaviors surrounding those drugs. especially the coke/opiate ones.

pot seems to be more tame/less dangerous. it's harder to exhibit really scary behaviors regarding weed. but all those i've listed have smoked every day for long periods of time (months/years)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
The first few posts in this thread addressed hotmale's initial theory. Then he mistakenly said that cocaine was an opiate. OK, fine he was wrong. It seemed to me that people seized upon is factual inaccuracy rather than the content of his OP.

Now, I know that MBTI type and drug addiction isn't a pretty subject. I don't really see many threads about negative possible correlations between type and behavior (which type is prone to being abusive, sexist, racist, etc.). Not to say they don't pop up, it's just that there's not that many of them. Here's a sample of some threads about type and behavior:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-matrices/3946-mbti-type-hypnotizability.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...onality-matrices/3822-most-stubborn-type.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-matrices/3746-identical-twins-mbti-type.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ices/3849-extroverted-intuition-religion.html

I'm thinking that most people don't want a negative behavior (like drug addiction) attached to their type. Yeah, it's OK to wonder which type is smartest or most compassionate, but which types are more prone to addictions? I think not. I don't even know if there are correlations. But it did seem odd to me that a big deal was made out of whether cocaine is an opioid or not rather than OP. I thought, and I have no problem admitting that I could be wrong, that some people felt this was an opportunity to show an ESTJ up. How often do you see people asking to cite sources here?

Yeah ok I can dig most of this.

I don't even know if there are correlations.
Well correlation's are useless. Causation is what's important. Correlation is only useful in identifying the causation.

Actually... the notion of any type being more or less prone to drug addiction is absurd in and of itself. Show me a healthy human who doesn't, when given a drug, who doesn't overdose or have a 'bad trip' and doesn't want more of it...

Type has nothing to do with it. You might be able to argue that one type is more attracted to experimenting with mind bending agents, but even that would be a stretch.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I guess you have plenty of fire to light those joints down where you're at, don't you now?

Well we do have the technology to light fires in our country, if that's what you're insinuating, but then I thought most countries did.