User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default MBTI type and Hypnotizability

Someone asked a question in psych class today re: everyone in a large evangelical church speaking in tongues, which led to the prof wondering how many people were "highly hypnotizable" and had an extremely external locus of control (i.e. highly influenceable).

I was wondering if MBTI type is at all related to hypnotizability. My INTP friend and I once attended a hypnotizing evening where volunteers from the audience got hypnotized. She and I both went up; she was one of the main two that was the focus of the evening while I just wasn't able to go under (I'm an INTJ).

Anyone else ever tried to be hypnotized?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I volunteered to undergo hypnosis as part of an icebreaker activity for a work retreat some years ago.

It didn't work - after a few unsuccessful volleys; I actively attempted to align my consciousness towards the instructive commands of the hypnotist, as opposed to creating alternative focal points. Still nothing.

It was disappointing, as I enjoy nuanced psychological experiences.

To your specific question, I must confess I'm uncertain as to the relationship between my type and my hypnotizability. I'd wager the connective tissue likely resides within one's capacity for positive concentration and stubborn-handedness towards external influence.

Having an INTJ mother taught me much in the way of self-reliance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think hypnotherapy would do me good. I can probably better understand my unconscious fears of leaving my home and maybe be able to change my habits.

I am a right-brained type, and right-brained types are usually more likely to get hypnotized.

Speaking of hypnosis, when I was taking Intro to Psychology, the teacher mentioned a hypnotizing session that people participated in on the campus, one of the students was hypnotized to act like Michael Jackson. I retorted, "Did he go after little boys?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I know I would NEVER agree to be hypnotized. I refuse to give any other person that much control over myself.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I've tried 3 times and it appears it can't be done to me.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My psych prof told us that you have to believe that hypnotizing will work in order for it to have any effect on you. Since I don't, I doubt it would.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My psych prof told us that you have to believe that hypnotizing will work in order for it to have any effect on you. Since I don't, I doubt it would.
    Yep. It's the same kind of deal as acupuncture or, to some people, finding Jesus.