First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Are we talking about adaptability in terms of social interaction or physical changes in the environment? Either way, I'll offer my perspective.

I tend to follow the rules that I know so that I don't get in trouble in formal situations, but I often work my way around the rules that are not explicitly stated so that I can get away with shocking others. Of course, I also get into trouble for doing that which isn't explicitly stated in writing. So I tend to break morés.

In terms of my general environment, I need structure, control, and predictability. I do not like sudden changes, although I find I am able to adapt to them within a reasonable amount of time.

However, I am not a good self-starter, because I get addicted to the control I gain from having structure. That and I am addicted to the computer and the Internet. Any thoughts of actual changes I have hardly ever go beyond the conceptual stages because (A) I am either impatient with the details of making them a reality or (B) I give up on it because I get stuck in the details.

Personally, the description of the INTJ in Type Talk nails me in the head, especially since it recognizes that INTJs are often underachievers and not always good workers.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Are we talking about adaptability in terms of social interaction or physical changes in the environment? Either way, I'll offer my perspective.
    I'd imagine both require a similar repertoire to successfully navigate.

Either way, I like your assessments.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If we include the concept of communication or "speaking in the other person's professed language" as part of "getting along," would your stance change?
    Good point. I have an ENFP friend, who is heavily interested in seeing others' point of view, which I am particularly poor at doing. So now, when he says something about seeing his point of view, I say "fair enough; I respect that".

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Here's that thread I told you about where INTJs were talking about how they "adapt" themselves to their surroundings. I know you're not an INTJ, but I thought you might gain some insight from it all the same.

Are INTJs chameleons? - INTJ Forum
    That's interesting. Nonetheless, this INTJ claims he adapted to be hard-nosed, serious and hardworking; I thought these were characteristic of INTJs anyway.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Doesn't everyone adapt to their environment, at least to a degree? That's part of social skills, isn't it? I guess some types might be better at it/more severely adapting though.
    Yes, I agree 100% to this. Everybody does it no matter what their type is.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    That's interesting. Nonetheless, this INTJ claims he adapted to be hard-nosed, serious and hardworking; I thought these were characteristic of INTJs anyway.
    I thought you might skim through the whole thread, not just read the first post. A lot of other INTJs responded and added insight to the topic.

Like your new avatar.
    Is that Patton?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Yes, I agree 100% to this. Everybody does it no matter what their type is.
    INTJs adapt in a certain way that is different from other types, and it's more difficult for them to do than for other types.

Not only that, but I had a run in with a salesman once that I will never forget though it was 27 years ago. He was the most unpleasant human being I have ever had to do business with in my life. He was LOUD. VERY VERY LOUD. I sure wish he would have adapted himself to us, and turned down his volume. The volume of his voice actually hurt my ears.

Not everyone adapts.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I thought you might skim through the whole thread, not just read the first post. A lot of other INTJs responded and added insight to the topic.
    I'm surprised. One person said that they can adapt on a whim. I would expect this to be far more attributable to a Perceiving type. Seems you learn things all the time.

Like your new avatar.
    Is that Patton?
    No, it's Erwin Rommel. (He does make an appearance in the 1970 film Patton, apparently.) I briefly read about him and found him to be an admirable character. For example, when he was asked by Hitler to carry out certain procedures on captured Jews, he essentially refused. Fantastic military figure.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Not everyone adapts.
    I correct my writings. Most of people adapt their behavior according to other people.

I do it a lot, the adaptation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Well, I think any type can be either hardworking or lazy, but the difference is that Js are more focused and structured while Ps are more spontaneous and open-minded. But that doesn't necessarily mean either is organized or disorganized in their physical surroundings (which actually seems more S, since they are more dependent on their surroundings), but rather the kind of lifestyle they prefer.

And Js and Ps can both be procrastinators -- Js procrastinate in the wake of loosening up, opening up to new experiences, and letting go of their obsessions. Likewise, Ps procrastinate in the wake of becoming more focused on one thing. However, the traits of J can sometimes hint at being more successful in work, but not necessarily. For most people, being hardworking only works if you're interested in the subject.

Which brings us to what S and N procrastinate about. The S procrastinates in tasks that involve fanciful thinking, the N procrastinates in the wake of practical sensory-oriented tasks.

But I think laziness in anyone comes from a lack of motivation (and this is often due to depression), and this is sometimes a part of life. And an unmotivated J is at risk of becoming a creature of habit. On the other hand, an unmotivated P could become a mindless pleasure seeker. And it's hard for either of these types to get out of their respective ruts.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And Js and Ps can both be procrastinators -- Js procrastinate in the wake of loosening up, opening up to new experiences, and letting go of their obsessions. Likewise, Ps procrastinate in the wake of becoming more focused on one thing. However, the traits of J can sometimes hint at being more successful in work, but not necessarily. For most people, being hardworking only works if you're interested in the subject.

Which brings us to what S and N procrastinate about. The S procrastinates in tasks that involve fanciful thinking, the N procrastinates in the wake of practical sensory-oriented tasks.
    I wouldn't call it procrastination. I'd call it more of a stubborness; an unwillingness to let go of one's habits and traits which may impact negatively upon the individual.

But I think laziness in anyone comes from a lack of motivation (and this is often due to depression), and this is sometimes a part of life. And an unmotivated J is at risk of becoming a creature of habit. On the other hand, an unmotivated P could become a mindless pleasure seeker. And it's hard for either of these types to get out of their respective ruts.
    This is a good point.