User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Field

  1. #21
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    *blinks* Bad assistant! *yells at her for wildcat*

    I've always looked at "special" and "unique" as being good things... But now that you've mentioned it, there's a dark side to that as well. No matter! We take the good and the bad. I like special...
    Thank you, nightning. I hope she heard you.
    We shall see. Today I shall drop in the shop again..

  2. #22
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I totally agree with Whatever, in fact was going to use the same quote from Twain. Statistics are merely facts that can be manipulated for the person using the stat's benefit, ie. 45% disfavor something can easily be spinned as over half interviewed likes something.
    force meat, eh?

  3. #23
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    *nods* I suppose nobody is special...

    Statistics is a lie if used incorrectly. If you define it prior to testing, it's more honest do you not agree?

    Actually, statistics by itself isn't lies... it's how people chose to misinterpret it that makes lies.

    That speaks of expectations... you only find what you expects to find. So lies the limitation in MBTI. You see what you expected to see... 16 types... not more, not less... with predetermined assumptions. Does the system defines people or does the system fit people? Thank you wildcat.
    Yes.
    They have suits for all the sizes at the store.. nothing of them fits.
    They expect the person to fit the suit.
    A tailor made suit fits the person.

  4. #24
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    one type only, homo sapiens.

    but in that type, a spectrum exists.

    the differences lie in the degrees.

    it is the degrees that give life its meanings, its colours, its shadows.

    one standard deviation of separation can mean a world.

    in a prism: you see white because it is the big picture. but why deny the joys of seeing the other colours, that is the detail?

    you are special because you want to believe so. really? you're special because you acknowledge the white, while knowing that you are just a part of the red that makes the white.

    and within you is the possibility to shade into any other colour, to be any other thing.

    type is reductionistic, yes. but it gives colour. and through the colour, it enables the white to be seen.

    forget neither detail nor the big picture, and you will not need statistics.
    Exactly.

  5. #25
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    You are not special.
    You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
    You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
    Hmph.. Einie would disagree about the matter decaying..

  6. #26
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How to lie with statistics:
    Use poor experimental design.

    State that post hoc ergo propter hoc

    Use the fallacy of accident or converse accident.

    Use Adhoc hypothesizing to assert the existence of a statistical entity.

    Use amphiboly to equate a common concept to asserted statistical entity.
    You'll find employment in the KGB Disinformation Bureau no doubt.

  7. #27
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    I disagree. In my opinion, what is really wrong with statistics is that it doesn't depend on anything, except what you want to prove. It can be something totally out of the field, totally irrelevant, though statistics tries to draw persuasive correlation where there is little or none.
    Quite right.
    It is as you say.
    There is no disagreement.

  8. #28
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What is wrong with statistics?
    It is dependent of the field.

    Field dependence dictates an answer.
    An answer?

    An echo.
    This is the problem I have with the MBTI tests.
    we fukin won boys

  9. #29
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    This is the problem I have with the MBTI tests.
    Try the Cognitive Processes Test.

  10. #30
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Done it. It's better. I still prefer field analysis -- that's the point of your OP right? Seems like the other posters obscured the intent but maybe I misread.
    we fukin won boys

Similar Threads

  1. Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century?
    By yenom in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 11:15 PM
  2. Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century
    By yenom in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
  3. Field Independence
    By wildcat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO