User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 36

  1. #1
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default can someone please define Si for me?

    for some reason this function doesn't make much sense to me. i feel like i completely get the other 7...

    (hope this is the right place)

    i mean, i've read a bunch of definitions, but it's just not clicking right...

  2. #2
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Dig this.

    Si is like taking in every miniscule detail of the exact current surroundings. The reason the users are resistant to change is that it's a lot of (tiring) work acclimating yourself to every little thing. Once it's done, then extraversion can happen -- the person feels settled knowing exactly how everything is configured, and the colors and everything about it.

    It's not about sensing the object -- on some degree, obviously the object has to be noticed... obviously. But it's focus is more on how it affects the self hence introversion.

    By contrast, the Se user, not having to actually acclimate themselves to the object, can quickly move on to the next. The focus is on the object there taking as much information about the object as it is, not about how it affects the self.

    Si users "know their place" both physically and psychologically. They know it well. Se users act out, because they only know the place of those around them.

    Not a very intuirific definition but I think it'll work for you man.
    we fukin won boys

  3. #3
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    There's more on it here: Introverted Sensation
    Proposed definition #2: The unknown is dangerous, so anchor yourself in the known

    Introverted Sensation (Si) is the attitude that the unknown mostly contains threats that will undermine life and order. Given the precariousness of life--so many things have to be jjjjust right--the odds of something unknown being beneficial are very low. Consequently life demands that we carefully filter the unknown before letting it into a position of influence, that we construct barriers against the unknown, etc.

    For example, in engineering, one is primarily concerned with designing systems that won't fail even though most of the exact causes of failure are not knowable in any precise way. Engineers learn many different ways in which things fail, and learn to design so that the things work, or at least major disasters don't occur, even when things go wrong--as they inevitably will. A bridge is typically designed to hold a load 6 times bigger than the biggest anticipated load, simply so it will resist unexpected troubles--shearing winds, or cracks in unexpected places, or who-knows-what that might come along and can never be fully anticipated. The full breadth of relevant dangerous factors is inherently unknowable.

    An everyday example is to allow some extra time when leaving on a trip. The reason for leaving some extra time is because the world is filled with unpredictable things that could make you late. Very few unpredictable things could come along and make you early if you left late.

    From the Si standpoint, the more you're going to depend on something, the more carefully you'd better inspect it, because you never know what unknown things might go awry, you only know that most of them are bad.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    There's more on it here: Introverted Sensation
    Proposed definition #2: The unknown is dangerous, so anchor yourself in the known

    Introverted Sensation (Si) is the attitude that the unknown mostly contains threats that will undermine life and order. Given the precariousness of life--so many things have to be jjjjust right--the odds of something unknown being beneficial are very low. Consequently life demands that we carefully filter the unknown before letting it into a position of influence, that we construct barriers against the unknown, etc.

    For example, in engineering, one is primarily concerned with designing systems that won't fail even though most of the exact causes of failure are not knowable in any precise way. Engineers learn many different ways in which things fail, and learn to design so that the things work, or at least major disasters don't occur, even when things go wrong--as they inevitably will. A bridge is typically designed to hold a load 6 times bigger than the biggest anticipated load, simply so it will resist unexpected troubles--shearing winds, or cracks in unexpected places, or who-knows-what that might come along and can never be fully anticipated. The full breadth of relevant dangerous factors is inherently unknowable.

    An everyday example is to allow some extra time when leaving on a trip. The reason for leaving some extra time is because the world is filled with unpredictable things that could make you late. Very few unpredictable things could come along and make you early if you left late.

    From the Si standpoint, the more you're going to depend on something, the more carefully you'd better inspect it, because you never know what unknown things might go awry, you only know that most of them are bad.
    QFT

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Dig this...
    FAIL

  5. #5
    ~dangerous curves ahead~
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    I think of it as the intake of sensations, filtered through memory.

    There's always a comparison, simply. To what was.

    The Se would just enjoy the new sensation e.g. "mmmm.. this wine is lovely, chocolate!" The Si would be, "hey, this wine tastes like the other bottle I had the other day, it is slightly better though, has a richer hint of chocolate".

    Hence the insecurity, methinks. Because there's always some standard that will have to be lived up to. Something that blows it, will be something new, hence unfamiliar grounds, so wariness results. Something that falls short, will be picked on/not accepted, because it doesn't live up to what they expect.

    So Si. Memory of sensations. Does that help?

  6. #6
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Do you people think Si is related to remembering details?

  7. #7
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Do you people think Si is related to remembering details?
    From a person with virtually no Si, I think so. Seeing as how I have difficulties doing exactly that, recalling details. I can summarize what happened, kind of, to you. But I wouldn't be able to tell you how exactly did a conversation go, what exactly did the other person tell me, what they were wearing, doing, what's around in the room etc.

  8. #8
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    for some reason this function doesn't make much sense to me. i feel like i completely get the other 7...

    (hope this is the right place)

    i mean, i've read a bunch of definitions, but it's just not clicking right...
    Actually, BlueWing described it very well - actually, I think it's a quote from Jung - in his INTJ profile. I'll see if I can find it.

  9. #9
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Possible examples of Si:
    • Giving into the gossip of other people and believing it as fact.
    • Seeing the environment and thinking of it in terms of how it is supposed to be in terms of established standards. (Not how they want it to be, how it could be, or how it's going to be, that is more the function of N.)
    • Seeing an image of a swastika and automatically thinking of Hitler.
    • Knowing you have money in the bank without being able to see it. (It is not direct experience, but merely a suggestion taken as fact.)
    • Teaching people the "proper" way to do things (i.e. your mother telling you to "roll up spaghetti on your fork rather than just slurping it into your mouth" or to "chew with your mouth closed").

  10. #10
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    For some reason, it wasn't as substantial as I remembered.

    However, I knew an ISFJ once, Si dominant, and it was quite a learning experience!

    She used to get these "hunches". She used the word "hunch" a lot. I would question her on why she was so sure of something, and she would say, "I don't know; I've just got a hunch." I had to learn to trust her when she said that, and as we followed her "hunch" I don't remember a time when she was wrong.

    I later came to learn, after knowing her for a couple of years, that these hunches were based on stored up information that she had actually taken in a long time previous to the time when she got the hunch - sometimes years. I'm talking about amazingly minuscule trivia. Sometimes we would trace her hunch back to an original source, and it could have been as obscure as something she read in a book somewhere 8 years earlier! Incredible memory! Because of her high Fi, it was usually people-related information.

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone please give me advice on how to find my type?
    By Sweetheart in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2015, 09:02 PM
  2. Can someone please explain this to me?
    By NEMESlS in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  3. Can you type my girlfriends for me, please?
    By niberrizbe25 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 02:15 AM
  4. can anyone recommend a cellphone for me?
    By Lady_X in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM
  5. [NF] can someone please turn off the tv in my head?
    By v-in-tx in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO