User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 36 of 36

  1. #31
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    It is like the details do not exist unless we are reminded of them... or that they somehow become linked to other parts of the idea in meaningful connections do we think about them.
    Yup !

    I think Ni likes to focus on how some parts of objects relates to other things. To bring all the little details into focus is to overwhelm the mind. Imagine each piece is related to Nth number of other ones. For every single piece you integrate into the model, the number of related pieces goes up by the power of n. A computer has difficulties handling such inputs, let along the human mind with our limited discrete memory.
    Are we talking Ni or Si here ?

    With Ni, I don't really mind having too many details to deal with, because I've developed tactics to deal with them. For example, I have learned how to discriminate between the important details and the less important ones (for example, recognise the main tenets of a theory from the tangential ones), so that I can focus on only the important ones at first. And if there really are too many important details, then I just pick some of them to work with right away and I put the others on a shelf so to speak, and I trust that I will get back to them sooner or later.

    But I don't know how to do that with Si. I don't know how to recognise the important sensory inputs from the non-important ones, and I don't know how to selectively pick some and how to dismiss others. So I have to deal with them all at once, and obviously I can't do that, so my mind quickly explodes.

  2. #32
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Are we talking Ni or Si here ?

    With Ni, I don't really mind having too many details to deal with, because I've developed tactics to deal with them. For example, I have learned how to discriminate between the important details and the less important ones (for example, recognise the main tenets of a theory from the tangential ones), so that I can focus on only the important ones at first. And if there really are too many important details, then I just pick some of them to work with right away and I put the others on a shelf so to speak, and I trust that I will get back to them sooner or later.

    But I don't know how to do that with Si. I don't know how to recognise the important sensory inputs from the non-important ones, and I don't know how to selectively pick some and how to dismiss others. So I have to deal with them all at once, and obviously I can't do that, so my mind quickly explodes.
    I wasn't being very clear... (don't mean to go offtopic either ) I meant how Ni and Si handles data differently. I find that for myself, because I'm N dominant, things have to fit together for me to work with them. Isolated facts (the details) recalled by Si usually do not fit. So I either ignore them or to find a way to stick it in with the other stuff. Otherwise I go offtopic because I couldn't handling working with two patterns simultaneously.

    I like to think of Ni applying filters on information. Things that fit gets to stay, and things than do not doesn't even register. Si takes an opposite approach. An object has all its details. How parts of the object relates to other patterns however are not considered.

  3. #33
    Highly Hollow Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I meant how Ni and Si handles data differently. I find that for myself, because I'm N dominant, things have to fit together for me to work with them. Isolated facts (the details) recalled by Si usually do not fit. So I either ignore them or to find a way to stick it in with the other stuff. Otherwise I go offtopic because I couldn't handling working with two patterns simultaneously.
    I think I see what you mean. If a sensory input, or a memory, fits within a pattern I've identified, I can integrate it within it. But if it doesn't fit anywhere, then it's just too much work to keep track of it, so I let it go.

    For example, that's how I remember people's birthdays, most of the time (those I do remember, anyway...): by integrating it into a pattern with someone else's b-day, or an important event, or something like that. For example, I am barely starting to remember my 5yo son's b-day on its own: up to now, I remembered that his was 3 days before mine, and there was even a time when I had to actually count back the years to remember what year he was born

    And sometimes it backfires too, when my mind accidentally creates a wrong pattern to remember something (like this actor's name, Zachary Quinto: for some stupid reason, my mind made a connection between Quinto and Joachim, and now my first reaction whenever I think of him is to call him Joachim Quinto :steam: I *know* his first name is Zach, but no! My mind is stuck on Joachim, grr...)

    Is that what you meant? Or at least close?

    I like to think of Ni applying filters on information. Things that fit gets to stay, and things than do not doesn't even register. Si takes an opposite approach. An object has all its details. How parts of the object relates to other patterns however are not considered.
    Huh. Alien.

  4. #34
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    I think I see what you mean. If a sensory input, or a memory, fits within a pattern I've identified, I can integrate it within it. But if it doesn't fit anywhere, then it's just too much work to keep track of it, so I let it go.

    For example, that's how I remember people's birthdays, most of the time (those I do remember, anyway...): by integrating it into a pattern with someone else's b-day, or an important event, or something like that. For example, I am barely starting to remember my 5yo son's b-day on its own: up to now, I remembered that his was 3 days before mine, and there was even a time when I had to actually count back the years to remember what year he was born

    And sometimes it backfires too, when my mind accidentally creates a wrong pattern to remember something (like this actor's name, Zachary Quinto: for some stupid reason, my mind made a connection between Quinto and Joachim, and now my first reaction whenever I think of him is to call him Joachim Quinto :steam: I *know* his first name is Zach, but no! My mind is stuck on Joachim, grr...)

    Is that what you meant? Or at least close?
    Yes. Details that fit into patterns are recalled no matter how obscured they might be. I also have that happen to me. Some things I know are incorrect, but because of some weird connection made in the past I can start laughing at inappropriate times. For example Jenga is a perfectly neutral word/game... yet if you mention it, I have an uncontrollable urge to laugh.

    Huh. Alien.
    Filter... I see the unconscious mind filtering everything before passing it off to our conscious (although preconscious will be a better descriptor) mind. Inputs that fits are allowed to interact with other ideas in the mind. Those that do not fit are rejected immediately... before our conscious mind can even register their presence.

  5. #35
    Aspie Idealist TaylorS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Jungian Function Theory

    Introverted Sensing - Recalling past experiences, remembering detailed data and what it is linked to. Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current stimulation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences and one registers that there is a similarity or a difference - for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same and is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when you see someone who reminds you of someone else. Sometimes the feeling-tone associated with the recalled image comes into your awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, your body responds as if reliving the experience. This could be seen as a source of feelings of nostalgia or longing for the way things were. In one instance, a young couple living in Europe spent their weekends trying out restaurants looking for food that tasted like American food.
    IMO Si is associated with the left temporal lobe of the brain. The association regions of the temporal lobes take in visual and verbal information and processes it against memories and factual knowledge. once processed the information is sent forward to the frontal lobes to be used for planning, decision-making, and manipulating mental images (T and F). It is the LEFT temporal lobe in particular because of the influence of the language centers, which makes sensory analysis in the left cerebral hemisphere more literal and concrete then the right hemisphere. The right temporal lobe is where Ni dominates.
    Autistic INFP


  6. #36
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    I have a good idea. Si is like putting together a collage.

    Take in the object details. That's not the information Si is interested in. First it sees what is.

    Then it takes the negative from the original picture, and puts it in front of the other one. What's targeted are those things which don't line up perfectly. The difference between the two is the information Si takes in. Of course there has to be the initial sensation, which would have to be extraverted, otherwise there would be no film to compare the next experience to. That difference is then... I guess... averaged(?) and the compromise becomes the subjective sensation.

    In the case of an ES_J, instead of accepting the sensation and compromising, they're more inclined to use their judgement to rearrange things so there is no difference. Of course there are varying levels of extraversion, and the willingness to change the situation to fit the Si is hinged thereon.

    That's about as clear as I can be right now. I'm observing my ISTJ bro a lot lately, and this is the best I've come up with.

    It's better than I said before.
    we fukin won boys

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone please give me advice on how to find my type?
    By Sweetheart in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2015, 09:02 PM
  2. Can someone please explain this to me?
    By NEMESlS in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  3. Can you type my girlfriends for me, please?
    By niberrizbe25 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 02:15 AM
  4. can anyone recommend a cellphone for me?
    By Lady_X in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM
  5. [NF] can someone please turn off the tv in my head?
    By v-in-tx in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO