First 1234 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    QFT

FAIL
    Mmmm.... what?

I hope that all you're complaining about was the quoted section...
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Si

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I think of it as the intake of sensations, filtered through memory.

There's always a comparison, simply. To what was.

The Se would just enjoy the new sensation e.g. "mmmm.. this wine is lovely, chocolate!" The Si would be, "hey, this wine tastes like the other bottle I had the other day, it is slightly better though, has a richer hint of chocolate".

Hence the insecurity, methinks. Because there's always some standard that will have to be lived up to. Something that blows it, will be something new, hence unfamiliar grounds, so wariness results. Something that falls short, will be picked on/not accepted, because it doesn't live up to what they expect.

So Si. Memory of sensations. Does that help?
    I think Alceros has the right take on this - it has to do with details, because the examples you've given for Se and Si both have to do with memories (of chocolate), but one is richer in details.

Uber gave some good examples, but I don't agree with the first one, ie, believing gossip. IMO opinion and experience, ISJs are less likely to listen to and accept gossip than some other types. An exception would be hearing something about someone already known to be untrustworthy. In that case, Si would come forward and say "I believe that because he also did 1, 2, & 3."

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

he he.... it reminds me of gossiping with an ESFJ friend- if she dislikes something she's quite willing to remember every bit of gossip she's ever heard about them and weave it into a tapestry of them being an all around horrible person (and she generally has a point I suppose! )

I generally just stick to making observations about people I dislike like "man- he looks like he needs to lay off the donuts!" or "ewww.... did you hear how she addressed him? it's like she thinks she's his mom and lover all rolled into one!"

Not nearly as elaborate, historical or systematic as my ESFJ friend
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I think Alceros has the right take on this - it has to do with details, because the examples you've given for Se and Si both have to do with memories (of chocolate), but one is richer in details.

Uber gave some good examples, but I don't agree with the first one, ie, believing gossip. IMO opinion and experience, ISJs are less likely to listen to and accept gossip than some other types. An exception would be hearing something about someone already known to be untrustworthy. In that case, Si would come forward and say "I believe that because he also did 1, 2, & 3."

Jae Rae
    Well, I just placed gossip as an example, because it's not a direct concrete experience, but an absorption of ideas taken as something definite.

One thing I have noticed about many Si-dominant types I've come into contact with is that they believe what's written in tabloids, the news, or infomercials.

It is highly unlikely that all Si types think in the exact ways I described, but I was giving examples. So an ISxJ could be concerned with manners, but not all that concerned with gossip.

And it should be noted that I am not just taking about celebrity gossip. I have noticed that many ESFJs I've met are the ultimate tattletales. They'll tell the authority figures when someone is breaking the rules or something like that. And often, they'll tattle on someone who was merely a victim of a rumor, without questioning whether the rumor is true. So the Si in them takes what is heard and automatically thinks of it as definite.

MBTI
    INTJ

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Dig this.

Si is like taking in every miniscule detail of the exact current surroundings. The reason the users are resistant to change is that it's a lot of (tiring) work acclimating yourself to every little thing. Once it's done, then extraversion can happen -- the person feels settled knowing exactly how everything is configured, and the colors and everything about it.
    Very good explanation, and this is similar to how Ni works, except Ni is taking in thoughts instead of concrete data from the 5 senses.

It's not about sensing the object -- on some degree, obviously the object has to be noticed... obviously. But it's focus is more on how it affects the self hence introversion.
    Good point.

well i might have a example:
    One of my friends was holding her nails up to her boobs and the first thing i, somewhat Si, noticed was her stain which was pointed out by her nails making me think she was sad about the stain while my Se friend just thought she was pointing out her boobs.

maybe Sis' notices more details while Se notices the more obvious things.

edit- i mean i notice small things and disregard big ones and my friend notices big things and disregards the small
    Last edited by lazyhappy; 02-13-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I also think attention to detail could be attributed to a less prominent position of Se. ISxPs, both with auxiliary Se, tend to notice details because as introverts, they can focus more. And especially for the ISTP, who uses the analytic Ti function, which brings more focus to the Se function.

In the case of an INTJ like myself, my Se functions more as rigid and repetitive, but comforting, sensory behaviors such as finger flapping and or playing with small objects that feel good to the touch (such as T-shirt tags) and help me concentrate.

My underdeveloped Se also makes me sensitive to certain noises, such as vacuum cleaners and smoke alarms.

MBTI
    xNTP

The best example I can think of is my ability to memorize the addresses of all the routers & switches on my network.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

thanks all. it was useful for me to see all those different ways of defining it in the same place.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    thanks all. it was useful for me to see all those different ways of defining it in the same place.
    curious. So how do you define it now?

*waits for sparkling insight from INFJ*