• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

temperaments and body language

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I have read an article about the four temperaments using their hands differently while speaking. Like SJ's make chopping movements and NT's make claws. Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would like to find that article again.

As an NT, I recognize the "claw". What about the other tempraments. What do you do?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: I use my hands A LOT when I speak, which is why I'm usually using a headset while on the phone (so I can pace and wave my hands :( )

I use them to illustrate what I'm saying, like what size something is or what I intend to do to something? I don't know how to describe my hand motions while speaking :cry: I've been known to accidentally smack people sitting or standing next to me while making a dramatic sweep with my arm before, and I'll occasionally hit the table or desk in front of me and wave my arms in a somewhat cartoonish manner when really angry *shrug* I get good exercize by speaking! ;)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In anthro, using your hands to express what you're saying is called "batoning." Batoning mirrors your language and thoughts. So it would make sense that those who think in certain ways would show some baton gestures more than others.

Hm... it might be a really cool way to classify people, as opposed to type.

eyebyte

MBTI Type
INTj
I have heard people from different places using their hands differently - meaning from English/German descent using lower held hand gestures while Mediterranean descendants using higher up hand gestures when talking - not sure if it hold water, though.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I have ruddy checks and tend to gesticulate often when I speak.

I suspect I've the expressive signature of an ENT/Fx to most.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
That sounds like chop-talker talk to me.

*looks to the side*

Boys?

right behind you! :D

I have heard people from different places using their hands differently - meaning from English/German descent using lower held hand gestures while Mediterranean descendants using higher up hand gestures when talking - not sure if it hold water, though.

True. This is not what I am referring to, though. It is not about how many gestures they make or how outspoken it is but about what they do with their hands. If I remember well, one of the temperaments tends to often making a fist (SP's?).

ygolo

My termites win
I have read an article about the four temperaments using their hands differently while speaking. Like SJ's make chopping movements and NT's make claws. Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would like to find that article again.

As an NT, I recognize the "claw". What about the other tempraments. What do you do?

It seem possible. The "claw" is more like holding/grasping something imaginary in my hands-- perhaps the concept I'm thinking about, or something.

In one of the Understand Yourself and Others series books, I remember mention of body language and interaction styles. If I remember correctly, Directive types to use more commanding body language while Informative types more effusive body language.

In NLP,
Visual thinking is indicated by visual language ("I see"), eyes looking upwards, shallow breath hunched shoulders and high pitch/nasal voice.

Auditory thinking is indicated by auditory language ("I hear you"), eyes looking side to side, "saxaphoning" posture or undulation, easy breathing, and a sing-song voice.

Kinesthetic thinking is indicated by kinesthetic language ("I feel you"), eyes looking downward, deep breathing or lots of movement, and a low-pitched voice.

Is your source online? I would be interested in reading more. For example, what about SPs and NFs?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can list a few things that I do here...

One thing I do frequently is put my right finger on my chin and either look up and to my left for a moment, or look at the person in front of me and nod slightly. Sometimes this is accompanied by me holding out my left hand to the side and moving my left index finger up and down, especially if I'm trying decide what action to take or remember how to get somewhere. Once I've decided, I put my right hand down, and point that left finger straight up for a second before acting.

I've also noticed that if I'm thinking about saying something, I'll tend to put my right index finger on my lower lip, and then as soon as I start to speak my right index finger usually points towards the person or people I'm talking to for a second, and then as I speak, I show my hand with the palm open as though I were giving them something, and then tend to flex my fingers slightly as if I were accepting something if they respond with something I agree with or understand. But if I disagree or don't understand, I usually wince a bit, turn my palm down, open my mouth slightly, put my left index finger on my lip and begin flexing my right index and right ring finger up and down a few times while gazing upward. And then when I say something else, I usually offer my right hand again, but this time my fingers are usually shaped as if I were holding a ball rather than simply being offered flat. If they respond in a way I understand this time, I usually put my right index finger on my lip again, with my left hand touching just below my neck and above my chest, and I nod before returning to the initial style with a flat hand.

Note that I don't do any of this consciously, but I remember them because those are the most common. I've noticed that I do others like these less often, but I can't recall them at the moment. One other thing I've noticed is that people who don't speak English as well can usually understand me better if I have both hands free, and can let myself do these things.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are SPs supposed to do?

I rarely make gestures but when I do it's wide open and relaxed hands gesturing in a fairly small area. The chopping and "claw" both sound weird to me. :alttongue:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
When I get excited I look like an orchestra conductor. I sort of wave my fingers/hands around. Think hybrid chop with rhythm.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:rofl1: every time I read claw I think of "the claw" from Liar Liar! :yim_rolling_on_the_

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is your source online? I would be interested in reading more. For example, what about SPs and NFs?

I recall reading it in Keirsey's Please Understand Me II. I do the claw thing but so does my ESTP friend who does it far more frequently than me.

I haven't thought about it in a while but I'll definitely start looking for the chop and other movements more. Not sure how much correlation there actually is though. I think Neidnagel's stuff on body language/sports might interest you though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:rofl1: every time I read claw I think of "the claw" from Liar Liar! :yim_rolling_on_the_

That sounds about right... Bua ha ha ha -- "THE CLAW!!!"

Poor Cary Elwes.

I don't know. I think body language can reveal some particular individual traits (i.e., intro/extroversion, etc.) ... but I don't think it is nearly consistent enough to be used to judge type, and I think cultural influences probably play a much larger role than type in what movements are practiced and expressed.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I talk with my hands a lot. I wave them around, make weird open-palmed shapes with my hands, point to the heavens, ect.

I guess kind of like Bob Dylan in this video, just to a lesser degree.

YouTube - Bob Dylan

Otherwise (as in, body language that isn't hands when talking), I think I huddle into my own zone. I kind of tap out all the beats running in my head on whatever apparatus is around me and bob my head. Or I lean forward into my hands and stare into the clouds. I close off everything but myself and the person I may be talking to with my body language I think.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I use my hands a lot when I speak. I do all sorts of movements with them to illustrate what I am trying to say in each time.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I tend to mirror the body language of the person I am speaking to.

SeanMC86

MBTI Type
ESFP
SP gestures

Well I know that when I'm using body language (I'm ESFP btw for those that don't know) I am usually very animated. With the hands it can be very open gestures like having my arms far away from my body and palms up. My eyes start flashing very brightly when something is really interesting or I'm very happy. I'm "like a puppy dog" as my friends tell me. I get very hyper and I'm like talking so fast sometimes you can't understand what I'm saying. When I'm angry my face turns beet red, and if I'm REALLY pissed my head starts shaking violently like a bull. Hmm, what else. The wheels in my head are turning but not much is coming out. Hmmm...I often have the raised eyebrow when I'm surprised and I can make crazy gestures when im frustrated:steam: . When I want to make a strong point my voice can become very rough and I can growl like a dog. I'm basically a dog trapped in a man's body.:)

Last edited:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That might actually hold some... Because i'm of scandinavian upbringing, and it's very much like the german culture... Holding hands low, not so dramatic.
I've got some spanish and walloon (read frenchie) blood and I wave my hands and arms around up high, much like Whatever.