123 Last

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Default temperaments and body language

I have read an article about the four temperaments using their hands differently while speaking. Like SJ's make chopping movements and NT's make claws. Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would like to find that article again.

As an NT, I recognize the "claw". What about the other tempraments. What do you do?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I use my hands A LOT when I speak, which is why I'm usually using a headset while on the phone (so I can pace and wave my hands )

I use them to illustrate what I'm saying, like what size something is or what I intend to do to something? I don't know how to describe my hand motions while speaking I've been known to accidentally smack people sitting or standing next to me while making a dramatic sweep with my arm before, and I'll occasionally hit the table or desk in front of me and wave my arms in a somewhat cartoonish manner when really angry *shrug* I get good exercize by speaking!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

In anthro, using your hands to express what you're saying is called "batoning." Batoning mirrors your language and thoughts. So it would make sense that those who think in certain ways would show some baton gestures more than others.

Hm... it might be a really cool way to classify people, as opposed to type.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Hm... it might be a really cool way to classify people, as opposed to type.
    Claw-talkers would still create internet forums to discuss their mutual hatred of chop-talkers, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by 563 740; 02-12-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Brevity
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

I have heard people from different places using their hands differently - meaning from English/German descent using lower held hand gestures while Mediterranean descendants using higher up hand gestures when talking - not sure if it hold water, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I have ruddy checks and tend to gesticulate often when I speak.

I suspect I've the expressive signature of an ENT/Fx to most.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by 563 740 View Post
    Claw-talkers would still create internet forums to discuss their mutual hatred of chop-talkers, I'm afraid.
    That sounds like chop-talker talk to me.

*looks to the side*

Boys?

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    That sounds like chop-talker talk to me.

*looks to the side*

Boys?
    right behind you!

Quote Originally Posted by eyebyte View Post
    I have heard people from different places using their hands differently - meaning from English/German descent using lower held hand gestures while Mediterranean descendants using higher up hand gestures when talking - not sure if it hold water, though.
    True. This is not what I am referring to, though. It is not about how many gestures they make or how outspoken it is but about what they do with their hands. If I remember well, one of the temperaments tends to often making a fist (SP's?).
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    I have read an article about the four temperaments using their hands differently while speaking. Like SJ's make chopping movements and NT's make claws. Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would like to find that article again.

As an NT, I recognize the "claw". What about the other tempraments. What do you do?
    It seem possible. The "claw" is more like holding/grasping something imaginary in my hands-- perhaps the concept I'm thinking about, or something.

In one of the Understand Yourself and Others series books, I remember mention of body language and interaction styles. If I remember correctly, Directive types to use more commanding body language while Informative types more effusive body language.

In NLP,
    Visual thinking is indicated by visual language ("I see"), eyes looking upwards, shallow breath hunched shoulders and high pitch/nasal voice.

Auditory thinking is indicated by auditory language ("I hear you"), eyes looking side to side, "saxaphoning" posture or undulation, easy breathing, and a sing-song voice.

Kinesthetic thinking is indicated by kinesthetic language ("I feel you"), eyes looking downward, deep breathing or lots of movement, and a low-pitched voice.

Is your source online? I would be interested in reading more. For example, what about SPs and NFs?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I can list a few things that I do here...

One thing I do frequently is put my right finger on my chin and either look up and to my left for a moment, or look at the person in front of me and nod slightly. Sometimes this is accompanied by me holding out my left hand to the side and moving my left index finger up and down, especially if I'm trying decide what action to take or remember how to get somewhere. Once I've decided, I put my right hand down, and point that left finger straight up for a second before acting.

I've also noticed that if I'm thinking about saying something, I'll tend to put my right index finger on my lower lip, and then as soon as I start to speak my right index finger usually points towards the person or people I'm talking to for a second, and then as I speak, I show my hand with the palm open as though I were giving them something, and then tend to flex my fingers slightly as if I were accepting something if they respond with something I agree with or understand. But if I disagree or don't understand, I usually wince a bit, turn my palm down, open my mouth slightly, put my left index finger on my lip and begin flexing my right index and right ring finger up and down a few times while gazing upward. And then when I say something else, I usually offer my right hand again, but this time my fingers are usually shaped as if I were holding a ball rather than simply being offered flat. If they respond in a way I understand this time, I usually put my right index finger on my lip again, with my left hand touching just below my neck and above my chest, and I nod before returning to the initial style with a flat hand.

Note that I don't do any of this consciously, but I remember them because those are the most common. I've noticed that I do others like these less often, but I can't recall them at the moment. One other thing I've noticed is that people who don't speak English as well can usually understand me better if I have both hands free, and can let myself do these things.